Harper to Phillies 13yr/330 mil

Kyyle23

1 minute ago, Kpet1010 said:

I just love that you were right, the Sox are still in on Harper. Everyone who said they weren't can suck it.

Whether they get him or not, they were at least "in"

Wondering what the Sox marketing and ticket sales departments are thinking about right now?

Prayers answered or the apocalyptic nightmare is just beginning again...?

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's pretty accurate actually. I think they're more likely to go after Sale or Cole next year than anyone else. 

Hard pass on Sale next year. He already tends to break down/tire out at the end of the year, do you want to bet on that improving into his 30s for the money he'll command?

4 minutes ago, OmarComing25 said:

Hard pass on Sale next year. He already tends to break down/tire out at the end of the year, do you want to bet on that improving into his 30s for the money he'll command?

I completely agree here, but I think he's their most likely target because he's been here before. Even though I love me some Sale, he's probably never going to win a Cy Young for that reason. I knew it when he was here, and it remains the truth. I'd go with Cole over him if I had to pick. I could have told anyone with a brain that he's probably going to be Kershaw part deux in the playoffs when he was with the Sox. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's pretty accurate actually. I think they're more likely to go after Sale or Cole next year than anyone else. 

Probably. And they will fall short again. They’ve proven in the past they won’t go long term in pitcher contracts. Offering a 4-yr deal won’t get it done with any of those top tier starters. 

The White Sox need to come out and tell their fan base that Bryce Harper is too expensive as if they are in the mix they better sign him or we as fans need to realize that we are irrelevant.  

In the grand scheme of things if Madrigal and Moncada are the 2B and 3B of the future Harper is the perfect fit in RF, then 1B then DH. 

Why do I still care.....ugh

46 minutes ago, bmags said:

wow he’s still not at 300?

I’ve been saying this all offseason, but the Phillies front office is somewhat conservative.  Yes they will spend and support a large payroll, but on an individual basis they come up with valuations and set their limits.

If the Phillies are still below $300M, I’m 100% all in on the Sox getting him.  Just offer 10/$310M (all guaranteed) and get this thing done.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I’ve been saying this all offseason, but the Phillies front office is somewhat conservative.  Yes they will spend and support a large payroll, but on an individual basis they come up with valuations and set their limits.

If the Phillies are still below $300M, I’m 100% all in on the Sox getting him.  Just offer 10/$310M (all guaranteed) and get this thing done.

He won't sign for that. 10/330 and he signs tomorrow. If they're  serious, just bite the bullet and do it. They're not though, so they won't. Dammit I don't even want to go there. This was much easier when the accepted fact was that the Sox were out on BH. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah I think there has been some of the FO wrangling in the owner, I do think philly has eyes on the prize with trout, and part of that is making it known to him without colluding (lol) that they will be able to pay him so don't sign an extension.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MyNamesRod said:

https://www.barstoolsports.com/chicago/la-dodgers-re-enter-the-ring-in-the-bryce-harper-saga

towards the end, WSD says that from what he’s gathered the Sox are operating “pissed off” and in “stealth mode” 

I’ll believe t when it happens. After WSD’s reaction after Manny towards the front office, I have a much harder time taking him seriously. I get why he’s less likely to attack the FO, but it’s so different from what I would expect out of him. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Tony said:

For other teams, that seems to be correct. 

For the White Sox? I'm pretty sure Kenny still is getting over "the shock in his eyes" from losing Machado. 

Honestly, a situation like this is where I miss Kenny as GM.  His aggressiveness got stuff done.  Right or wrong, well it got done.

• Like 3

Unless you believe that Collins and, or Sheets could really blossom, all of the best potential middle of the order bats in this organization are right handed. Eloy, Robert, Adolfo, even Burger. Acquiring Harper fills that void. Eloy and Bryce together, batting 3RD and "clean up,' would just be HUGE.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, daggins said:

To be clear, I don't think its part of any grand conspiracy, or even mass collusion, I just think that other clubs have created an environment that encourages this by overvaluing pre-arb talent and drastically undervaluing free agent talent. 

I just wouldn't be shocked. Taking other info at face value, the idea was that jerry took over negotiations for this because he was a superior negotiator. He alone needs to negotiate it, and he can set up a back door with another owner (as he has prior), and tell his FO how confident he was they didn't need to budge. Then san diego came along ruined their plan.

Just now, daggins said:

To be clear, I don't think its part of any grand conspiracy, or even mass collusion, I just think that other clubs have created an environment that encourages this by overvaluing pre-arb talent and drastically undervaluing free agent talent. 

For sure.  I keep trying to play devil’s advocate in my mind about this, but I really can’t see it any other way either.   Top guys are just getting to be dangerously expensive, which is forcing teams to find creative ways to create value 

Here's the thing about them being quiet about their pursuits of Harper (which I'm sure there is some poking but nothing serious). We already know they botched Machado, so we know the money is there and the Sox dicked around for months only to lose out last minute to the fuckin Padres. So if they miss out on Harper to the Phillies for lets say 10/327. Then we already know either A. They colluded and didn't want to match that and the fanbase is angry or B. Are still cheap as shit and the fanbase is angrier. Just get it done, the Padres didn't work in stealth, just offered the most money. Redeem yourself JR, 83 years old and scared to spend, jesus...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Unless you believe that Collins and, or Sheets could really blossom, all of the best potential middle of the order bats in this organization are right handed. Eloy, Robert, Adolfo, even Burger. Acquiring Harper fills that void. Eloy and Bryce together, batting 3RD and "clean up,' would just be HUGE.

Don't forget that Moncada is a switch hitter and is better from the left side. 

Back to Harper though, If the Sox were actually serious they would have gone to Boras and offered 10/335 last week and it would be over. He'd be at Camelback with the guys. 

Even though Machado was the better positional fit, I've always believed Harper was the superior offensive player. I just refuse to believe that it is even possible they pull this off based on the incompetence they showed in the Machado sweepstakes. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

7 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

If it's true what bucket said about the Sox giving Manny's agent the offer and then not hearing from him again until after the decision to sign with the Padres was made, I could see the Sox operating in "pissed off" and stealth mode.

This may have been mentioned already, but there's reason to believe that Lozano asked the Sox if they could go 10/300, they said no (but that they could increase their current offer), the Padres said yes, and Lozano closed with the Padres.  If that's the case, then I can see why Lozano wouldn't have reached back out to the Sox.

I don't think we can assume that had Lozano made a last phone call to Hahn, that the Sox would have matched the Padres.

• Like 2