Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

2 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's been locked in the Sox are at least getting one, which I am sure he will be OK with. But both has been his dream. He's been more optimistic about this than anyone, so good for him. But if somehow they pull a Matt Davidson and strike out, he's going to need some therapy.

I honestly don’t believe two is an option at this point (primarily based on Hahn’s own words), but coming out empty handed would be a complete gut punch right up there with Kopech’s TJS.

2 hours ago, Orlando said:

What does this last sentence by Yonder mean? Of course he's going to eventually sign somewhere but is he hinting that he thinks it will be with the Sox?

"I think that's all going to get taken care of. Yadda yadda yadda. I'm really excited for this season."

This is the third random nonsense tweet saying the same thing. Is this because of the article by shack over at the loop yesterday ( btw very good article Shack!)? You know planting a thought in everyone's head. Or is there a little truth to all of this?

Financially they could do it. Signing both would put the payroll around $145 - 150 million. Really the issue is pulling it off quietly, secretly, and dealing with the egos of Lozano and Boris. And that last part is no small task.

Edited by smellysox

1 minute ago, smellysox said:

This is the third random nonsense tweet saying the same thing. Is this because of the article by shack over at the loop yesterday ( btw very good article Shack!)? You know planting a thought in everyone's head. Or is there a little truth to all of this?

Financially they could do it. Signing both would put the payroll around $145 - 150 million. Really the issue is pulling it off quietly, secretly, and dealing with the egos of Lozano and Boris. And that last part there is no small task.

Shack incepts idea into twitter.

Twitter incepts idea into Harper/Machado etc.

???

Profit

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, smellysox said:

Financially they could do it. Signing both would put the payroll around $145 - 150 million. Really the issue is pulling it off quietly, secretly, and dealing with the egos of Lozano and Boris. And that last part is no small task.

Just for the record I don't want Harper.  Moving on, aren't we on the hook for only 20 mil in 2021? It could realistically be done, but it's gambling a majority of our prospects pan out.

After all that talk by Rick about moves potentially being made and more roster shakeup taking place....here we are at Spring Training. Yonder Alonso our biggest acquisition and a horrible starting pitching staff. 

Edited by Baron

4 minutes ago, smellysox said:

I think the Sox have their price for both guys.  They may expect the Phillies to beat their offer for Harper, but I don't think a Machado signing takes them out of the Harper market.

Just now, BackDoorBreach said:

Just for the record I don't want Harper.  Moving on, aren't we on the hook for only 20 mil in 2021? It could realistically be done, but it's gambling a majority of our prospects pan out.

It could definitely be done.  Heck, give Harper an opt out after 4 years.  The Sox just need to be willing to operate in the $150M-200M range for 2020-2025.  

But Hahn has already said 2 isn't happening.  Maybe if Machado gets 7/$220M or something it opens the door a crack, but I doubt it.  

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

It could definitely be done.  Heck, give Harper an opt out after 4 years.  The Sox just need to be willing to operate in the $150M-200M range for 2020-2025.  

But Hahn has already said 2 isn't happening.  Maybe if Machado gets 7/$220M or something it opens the door a crack, but I doubt it.  

While I agree, when have the Sox ever been extremely public with their plans (outside of their courting of machado). The sox work best in the weeds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Where is this talk of Harper AND Machado coming from? Hahn already shot down the idea of signing both as being not realistic financially to have two massive contracts on the books. 

4 minutes ago, Baron said:

After all that talk by Rick about moves potentially being made and more roster shakeup taking place....here we are at Spring Training. Yonder Alonso our biggest acquisition and a horrible starting pitching staff. 

Why do you have to be so sour? This was a 62 win team and they added:

Nova 1.1 fWAR

McCann -0.1 fWAR

Alonso 0.7 fWAR

Jay 0.8 fWAR

Herrera 0.4 fWAR

Colome 1.0 fWAR

With or without Machado and/or Harper, this team is stacked.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Perfect Vision said:

I think the Sox have their price for both guys.  They may expect the Phillies to beat their offer for Harper, but I don't think a Machado signing takes them out of the Harper market.

I've said it a few times, I think the plan to sign both guys would pretty much require one of them to opt out in 4 years or so (or the luxury tax to be lifted and the Sox to be dominating the league and making so much money that they don't mind a $250 mil payroll). They could easily afford both players at $35 mil a year for the next few years. But once all the kids get to arbitration and you're looking to extend them? It would be really hard to stay under that tax threshold, even before signing another top starter on the free agent market.

So, as long as they don't both turn into Heyward, the Sox would be okay. If they're both good, they would presumably opt-out, and the Sox could decide which one to extend at that point. Still don't think there's any way of that happening unless Machado and Harper are better friends than we know, and they both decided they want to play together.

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Where is this talk of Harper AND Machado coming from? Hahn already shot down the idea of signing both as being not realistic financially to have two massive contracts on the books. 

I mean, I basically said as much.

I think people are just spitballing.  There has basically been nothing tying the Sox to Harper since the Winter Meetings.  

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why do you have to be so sour? This was a 62 win team and they added:

Nova 1.1 fWAR

McCann -0.1 fWAR

Alonso 0.7 fWAR

Jay 0.8 fWAR

Herrera 0.4 fWAR

Colome 1.0 fWAR

With or without Machado and/or Harper, this team is stacked.

In for another good year and a rah rah training camp provided by Rick Hahn. If he doesn't get Manny he better pray Eloy hits right out of the gate. 

2 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

We're discussing the possibility based on Shack's article and the few nonsense tweets people shared. While I don't think it's going to happen, you can ignore Hahn's comments. He's trying to get the best deal on each guy, and if he basically says "Yeah, we'll spend $65 mil a year on these guys" he then has a harder time convincing Machado he can't go up from $28 mil to $30 mil a year. He's not going to tip his hand.

• Like 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres