Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

3 minutes ago, The Sir said:

I insulted a guy and the whole exchange, even less nasty parts, got deleted. That’s fine. I accept that, and I restated my position in a way that still stands so I suppose nobody had a problem with it.

But a few pages ago a mod called a dude an irrational twelve year old. It’s still there. Am I to assume that’s OK?

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Or this just shows that Machado just flat out preferred SD.  Looking to me like that was the case of this info from Nightengale and Rosenthal is legit. 

No. No athlete is taking 250 million guaranteed over 300 million, even if it's just to say they got a 300 million deal. 

If that offer is true, than the Sox are probably besides themselves for missing out. One of my early concerns about this was that the Sox didnt really have anyone who had ever negotiated a deal like this before. Im too lazy to look, but has Hahn even negotiated a contract for $100mil?

The way that the Sox missed is even worse than not being involved in the first place. They were $50mil short over 2 years. Its not idea to pay Machado $25 mil 9-10 years from now, but thats a 9 years from now problem. 

For a long time I was saying 8 years 280. 10 years $300mil is actually a lower AAV. They could have easily front loaded the deal so those last years were lower and beat the Padres.

But instead we are worrying about a decade from now.

Frustrating. 

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

If that was the true offer though, they need to just assume Harper will meet the incentive criteria and offer him 10 and 320. Reports claim he is unsure about signing with the Phillies, so grab your nuts and play ball. 

Harper will probably get 10/350

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

Or this just shows that Machado just flat out preferred SD.  Looking to me like that was the case of this info from Nightengale and Rosenthal is legit. 

I don't know about that, I could easily see a scenario where the White Sox fudge a 35 year old Machado's playing time to ensure he doesn't get the required number of PA. This has happened plenty of times before to other guys and if I were Machado I would be thinking the same is likely to happen to me in the future. The SD offer was still better. Just guarantee the damn money.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

If that was the true offer though, they need to just assume Harper will meet the incentive criteria and offer him 10 and 320. Reports claim he is unsure about signing with the Phillies, so grab your nuts and play ball. 

Are you in denial? The White Sox have already come out and said they couldn't do $300

Its over, done, finished.. $68 million is still the reigning, defending, highest Sox signing in history..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, teorey23 said:

Guys, I apologize, I thought the Sox had this in the bag and stupidly had more faith in this front office and ownership to get this done. I thought they turned a corner and I was fooled. I’m sitting here just as pissed and stunned as you are. I’m not gonna delete the account because it’s a good chat to be apart of. 

You weren't the first nor the last to be taken in by a con artist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheTruth05 said:

I want nothing to do with Arenado nor Rendon next year tbh, this was the guy (or Harper) and in 1 day all those hopes are gone. This org never ceases to disappoint me outside of 05.

How White Sox would it be though to sign a 3B NEXT offseason and then continue to dick Moncada around the infield?

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

No. No athlete is taking 250 million guaranteed over 300 million, even if it's just to say they got a 300 million deal. 

I don't blame Machado for taking the additional $50 million guaranteed in this case. What if his knees give out and he can't manage 550 at bats? Take the money all day

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OmarComing25 said:

I don't know about that, I could easily see a scenario where the White Sox fudge a 35 year old Machado's playing time to ensure he doesn't get the required number of PA. This has happened plenty of times before to other guys and if I were Machado I would be thinking the same is likely to happen to me in the future. The SD offer was still better. Just guarantee the damn money.

I honestly think if the sox at least matched the discussion would be where he would hit. I think he would have picked the sox

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What the fuck? Manny should be pissed or hes just a dumbass. Does he plan on sitting out the last two years of his deal with the Padres? This makes it much worse. Incentives arent even that hard to hit.

Manny also has bad knees potentially and isn’t willing to risk 50 million dollars on the knees staying strong.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

What the fuck? Manny should be pissed or hes just a dumbass. Does he plan on sitting out the last two years of his deal with the Padres? This makes it much worse. Incentives arent even that hard to hit.

What if he gets hurt at age 35? What if the Sox bring in a hot shot 3B to split time. The Sox wouldn't guarantee 300 million, so clearly they don't plan on him getting the last two years. 

• Like 2

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres