Machado signs with Padres 10/300

yesterday333

8 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

And... that lets me know this is a controlled leak from the Sox to dampen the other teams' offers. Even knowing they didn't come out with their best offer first, there's no way they offered him under $250 million unless it was for 5 years. That gets the door slammed in their faces. Manny will get over $300 mil and everybody knows it. This is an attempt to throw off other bidders and make them call the bluff of Machado's camp when they say "Sox are offering $300+ and we're signing with them unless you jump way up."

Nobody would likely know the "real" offer or terms at this stage except those very close to the situation. Tons of this is pure speculation.

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

What a bizarre fucking interview, like Spiegal was giving that guy shit for being a douche.  Don’t understand his beef with the White Sox but whatever.

It was real bizarre.  On top of it you had 2 Cub fan hosts defending the Sox.  Apparently the guy just doesn't want it to come out that is what he is saying....even though he is the one that said it.  Whatever man.

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

Nobody would likely know the "real" offer or terms at this stage except those very close to the situation. Tons of this is pure speculation.

Who's speculating? Nightengale, me, or both? I am speculating and don't pretend to have inside info, but I fully believe that if the Sox made an offer to Machado for less than $250 mil, his agent would no longer be returning their calls.

8 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Why would Machado's camp want teams to think the Sox made a crap offer? This is coming from the Sox. Their ideal situation:

This report comes out.

Machado: "Chicago offered me $320 mil. Get to up to $300 and I'll take less for to play for you"

Yankees: LOL. They're offering way less. You'll take our $250 mil and like it"

Machado *signs with Sox for $320*

Let's hope it works!

It’s a number to shop around, one low enough to entice two their bidders to top it, and then shop back to the white Sox. 

4 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

It was real bizarre.  On top of it you had 2 Cub fan hosts defending the Sox.  Apparently the guy just doesn't want it to come out that is what he is saying....even though he is the one that said it.  Whatever man.

It was like Tupac vs Biggie but if Pac was ripping Boston instead of New York for some reason.  You’re definitely right though, I think he doesn’t to be tied to us signing Machado and got defensive to help distance himself.  Really strange though.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

It was like Tupac vs Biggie but if Pac was ripping Boston instead of New York for some reason.  You’re definitely right though, I think he doesn’t to be tied to us signing Machado and got defensive to help distance himself.  Really strange though.

Could be. Maybe didn’t expect it to blow up and is worried about compromising who told him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bmags said:

It’s a number to shop around, one low enough to entice two their bidders to top it, and then shop back to the white Sox. 

If Machado's camp is passing around an offer of $250 mil or less, they have failed miserably or everybody has been WAY off on this whole thing. Either that or he showed up to the interviews wreaking of alcohol and having gained 30 pounds. Pretty much everybody had Machado signing at or above $300 mil. I don't think teams are going to hear of an offer from the Sox for $250m, with the Sox supposedly being the deep pockets who have no other allure to Machado, and decide to bid up to $300m for him.

Also, I would imagine that any preliminary offers the Phillies or Yankees put out would be at $250m or higher, so they'd probably call Machado's bluff and say "why take the same money to have a worse chance of winning?"

Edited by Roughneck

22 minutes ago, BFirebird said:

Isn't Spiegel a Sox fan? Maybe not.

Either way, good on him for speaking up for the Sox and addressing that guy's weird condescending tone towards the Sox. I get he's upset that he thinks his words were twisted, but he acts like it was a Chicago outlet that ran with that story. 

5 minutes ago, G&T said:

Isn’t four sources a lot of sources to be talking about this? Can’t just be one side of the deal leaking can it? 

Looks like four sources confirmed that there was an offer, but he didn't say that all of them confirmed a price closer $200m than $300m. He just said it was "believed to be" and didn't say how many of the sources believed it to be such. So it could be that only one of the confirming sources gave him the seemingly bogus numbers.

2 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Either way, good on him for speaking up for the Sox and addressing that guy's weird condescending tone towards the Sox. I get he's upset that he thinks his words were twisted, but he acts like it was a Chicago outlet that ran with that story. 

Its been a few years since I listened to the Score, but Spiegel then was most definitely not a Sox fan.  If memory serves, he drank the cubbie rebuild kool-aid pretty hard core.

6 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Wasn't he teamed up with McNeil years back and McNeil was a Sox fan.

2 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

If Machado's camp is passing around an offer of $250 mil or less, they have failed miserably or everybody has been WAY off on this whole thing. Either that or he showed up to the interviews wreaking of alcohol and having gained 30 pounds. Pretty much everybody had Machado signing at or above $300 mil. I don't think teams are going to hear of an offer from the Sox for $250m, with the Sox supposedly being the deep pockets who have no other allure to Machado, and decide to bid up to $300m for him.

Well, I disagree. I feel like you are assuming it’s 10 years, 250.

If it’s 7 years 240, and gets philly to go 8 / 275. You are the well on your way to 300

11 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Spiegel is a Cubs fan. Screw Dan Clark, the guy named Simonetta and the jackass who was just on 670. He spoke in a condescending way and also lied like a politician uttering alternative facts.

34 minutes ago, Roughneck said:

Also, I would imagine that any preliminary offers the Phillies or Yankees put out would be at $250m or higher, so they'd probably call Machado's bluff and say "why take the same money to have a worse chance of winning?"

The Sox didn’t make a formal offer (whatever that means) without some material terms being in the ballpark of what Machado wants. Further, they wouldn’t be the first team to make the offer if they didn’t think it would hold up against any other team. 

43 minutes ago, bmags said:

Could be. Maybe didn’t expect it to blow up and is worried about compromising who told him.

After listening to the clip I think the guy was just stating that the headline was misleading but he did hear from a guy close to manny that he was close to signing with the Sox, not that he had any for sure information there. Either way we shall see how this plays out. I’m sure tomorrow the Phillies will be the favorite and round and round we go, hold on gents!!! Up and down we go on the rollercoaster!!

• Kalapse changed the title to Yeah, they actually screwed this up: Machado reportedly signs with Padres