Joc Pederson: πŸ’€πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸ’€β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹

NCsoxfan

3 minutes ago, xSouthsider2 said:

Take on Hill's contract and allow the Dodgers to sign Pollack. Then we get Peterson, for less return to them.Β 

Β 

These were the deals i thought the Sox would be doing this offseason (albeit with prospects attached, not players with 2 years control remaining).

So many clubs seemingly fighting to stay under the tax, feels like a real opportunity.Β Β 

Edited by GREEDY

12 minutes ago, Jake said:

I'm not eager to trade Alec Hansen, but it is categorically wrong to say he is at his lowest possible value right now. Someone who says this really believes in his potential upside to be a good MLBer. If he has another season like the last one, few will believe in that upside and his value will be much lower.

Yea you trade trade him when his value is this low. He’s a mess, but you have to see if he can bounce back to how he was in 2017. I do doubt his ability to remain a SP though.

Just now, GREEDY said:

These were the deals i thought the Sox would be doing this offseason (albeit with prospects attached, not players with 2 years control remaining).

So many clubs seemingly fighting to stay under the tax, feels like a real opportunity.Β Β 

I think it could make some sense if we signed Machado. Instead of another mega contract for Harper that might make money tight in the future, we have Peterson in RF with his lefty bat for two years while we wait for Robert, Adolfo, Rutherford and the rest. In Hill we have a veteran starter and I think there is just one or two years left on his contract at about 14 a year(that is off top of my head). And because of us taking Hill's contract our return to LA should not be any body we want to keep?

Just now, xSouthsider2 said:

I think it could make some sense if we signed Machado. Instead of another mega contract for Harper that might make money tight in the future, we have Peterson in RF with his lefty bat for two yearsο»Ώ while we wait for Robert, Adolfo, Rutherford and the rest. In Hill we have a veteran starter and I think there is just one or two years left oο»Ώn his contract at about 14 a year(that is off top of my head). And because of us taking Hill's contract our return to LA should not be any body we want to keep?

Hill has 1 year, $18.6 million remaining on his deal.Β 

58 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Cordell and Minaya are not getting you Joc Pederson.Β 

No kidding.Β  Β But that's about what the Sox should pay for a player not in the window of contention.
Trading prospects, trading young pitching for a player who won't help the Sox contend?Β  Good lord, lessons never learned.

Edited by GreenSox
  • Thanks 1

Here is what I think the Sox should do.

First, sign Machado. This is a no-brainer.

Secondly, trade for Pederson and Hill in a package deal. This kills two birds with one stone. Pederson is a massive upgrade in CF and Hill immediately becomes one of the best starting pitchers on the team. While he is injury prone, he is a one year rental and taking on his salary for this season would most likely reduce what the Sox would have to give up for him. SendingΒ Fulmer/Bummer to LA would most likely be enough in this scenario. I would avoid trading Bryce Bush if at all possible.

Looking forward, the contracts of Nova, Castillo, Hill, Abreu, etc will all be off the books after 2019, which frees up even more money for the Sox to sign a top of the rotation pitcher (Sale, Cole, Bumgarner, etc) to be the leader of a young pitching staff.

Lots of possibilities here. Even with Machado in the fold, the Sox have tons of payroll flexibility moving forward. They need to take advantage of it.

Edited by Whitesox27
  • Like 1

Message board Monday. First a rumor about Joc Pederson. People complain. then make up a scenario where the Dodgers are desperate to get rid of Rich Hill's contract when the Dodgers currently are looking at adding AJ Pollock and have been linked to Bryce Harper.... eofjiwaoiwjefawfo.. finally convince ourselves that we're doing the Dodgers some sort of favor taking on said contract and that all it'll cost is Carson Fulmer for both.... wefoiawfjoawjfwfij

12 minutes ago, Quin said:

So what is everyone's actual off that they would make for Pederson?

Just Pederson. No one else from the Dodgers.

Because the White Sox are simply not in a position to compete in the next 2 years and have OFs who could be arriving in 2020 I'm not going to give up anything that I think has a legitimate chance of being useful to us. That is going to make my offer pathetic but what can I do?

Yolmer is excessive, he'd fit well on a team that is competitive right now.

Carson Fulmer - I had high hopes for him even last year but alas. Cordell and/or Delmonico - same reason.

Other teams should easily beat this.

Β 

14 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Message board Monday. First a rumor about Joc Pederson. People complain. then make up a scenario where the Dodgers are desperate to get rid of Rich Hill's contract when the Dodgers currently are looking at adding AJ Pollock and have been linked to Bryce Harper.... eofjiwaoiwjefawfo.. finally convince ourselves that we're doing the Dodgers some sort of favor taking on said contract and that all it'll cost is Carson Fulmer for both.... wefoiawfjoawjfwfij

How is taking on Rich Hill's contract not doing the Dodgers a favor? That frees up enough money for them to sign Pollock.

17 minutes ago, Quin said:

So what is everyone's actual off that they would make for Pederson?

Just Pederson. No one else from the Dodgers.

If the offer is truly for Fulmer and Bummer, I take that every damn day of the week. If it's those two guys plus Bush? Ehhh, that would make me very nervous.Β 

Β 

Fulmer, Bummer, + Luis Curbelo?

17 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

Message board Monday. First a rumor about Joc Pederson. People complain. ο»Ώ

Some here have liked the idea of acquiring Joc, some have not.Β  Isn't that how the world works?

17 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

then make up a scenario where the Dodgers are desperate to get rid of Rich Hill's contract when the Dodgers currently are looking at adding AJ Pollock and have been linked to Bryce Harper.... eofjiwaoiwjefawfo

The thought process is they need to move money off their books to be able to acquire another high priced free agent.Β Β 

18 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

finally convince ourselves that we're doing the Dodgers some sort of favor taking on said contract and that all it'll cost is Carson Fulmer for both.... wefoiawfjoawjfwfij

We would be doing the Dodgers a favor for taking back 38 year old Rich Hill as he is not worth $18,000,000 this season.Β  And Joc is only marginally more valuable than the $5,000,000 he will make this year and the raise he will seemingly get next year.Β  So, noΒ it shouldn't cost much more than Fulmer.Β Β 

Β 

Anything else to add Mr. Anderson?Β Β 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Some here have liked the idea of acquiring Joc, some have not.Β  Isn't that how the world works?

The thought process is they need to move money off their books to be able to acquire another high priced free agent.Β Β 

We would be doing the Dodgers a favor for taking back 38 year old Rich Hill as he is not worth $18,000,000 this season.Β  And Joc is only marginally more valuable than the $5,000,000 he will make this year and the raise he will seemingly get next year.Β  So, noΒ it shouldn't cost much more than Fulmer.Β Β 

Β 

Joc is far far far more valuable than his 5 million.. He's been a 3+ WAR player 3/4 seasons.

Just now, GREEDY said:

Interestingly, the overall performance of Pollock and Hill isn't that different, both about 2 win players. Their total in projections basically is a question of "how healthy does the computer think this player will be". Rich Hill is actually projected to be slightly more valuable by Steamer. If he repeated his season from last year, he's worth about $16 million.

Do the Dodgers have young pitching healthy and ready to take up those 130 innings Hill gave last year? They are 6 deep in their rotation as of now, but lots of their guys hit the DL for substantial stretches last year including Kershaw. Are they gung-ho about inserting Urias into the rotation this year?Β 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Β 

Yes. That we won't get Rich Hill.

Rich Hills market price is actually quite similar to his pay. For example Charlie Morton went to FA this offseason and got 2/$30mm. Also an older pitcher, also very solid KO guy. Another example that might ring more true to home for you is Jose Abreu. If you received Bryce Bush, Bummer or Fulmer in return for Abreu would you be happy? Okay, now imagine having Abreu on a team that just came off the WS two years in a row... would you now accept Fulmer in return to free up cap space? Finally, the Dodger rotation is not quite the greatest and will likely need and want to acquire a SP during this year.. what makes you think they would trade one?

Kershaw is coming off many injured years...Β  they have a young guy in Walker Buehler ... Ryu ... Maeda ... Urias ... Stripling ..... so let's put the cards on the tables. Why would they trade Hill?

Β 

Anything else Mr. Greedy?

This isn't MLB The Show 2019.... it's real life. Rich Hill isn't being traded and certainly not being traded as some add on to a Joc Pederson trade.

11 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

Joc is far far far more valuable than his 5 million.. He's been a 3+ WAR player 3/4 seasons.

No kidding, it's amazing how people think the Dodgers will give him up for "nothing". Β He has far more value than Abreu does, yet people think the Sox would get top 100 guys for him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, BrianAnderson said:

The original tweets contained all of this info, but hey, whatever works.Β 

• Heads22 changed the title to JocTalk.com - Waiting......