Sox have had preliminary EXT talks with Dylan Cease, nothing imminent.

Sleepy Harold

Extensions are the way to go.  The sooner these guys sign up for these...the sooner we will see them in Chicago.  Player, agents and management all know the situation.  When management is sold on a player being ready they should get it done.

Edited by poppysox

47 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yes, lock him up, lock him up. Let’s lock up Yoan and Kopech next. How awesome it would be to have the entire core controlled thru 2025 minimum. And no, I’m not ready to extend Gio and Lopez yet but Rodon would be intriguing despite the injury potential.

Some guys like Eloy are good bets before they play a major  league game -  while I'm glad we waited to see on Moncada.  Cease and Madrigal perhaps Robert might fall into the Eloy grouping.  I'm with you on the wait and see on Gio & Lopez.  Sox management has been good on this point.  Sale, Q, Engle & Anderson were all plus deals long term.  Only Danks was a poor idea.  Pretty good odds.

17 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yes, lock him up, lock him up. Let’s lock up Yoan and Kopech next. How awesome it would be to have the entire core controlled thru 2025 minimum. And no, I’m not ready to extend Gio and Lopez yet but Rodon would be intriguing despite the injury potential.

Seriously doubt Rodon's agent would agree to any extensions especially if he were to stay healthy.

Edited by Lip Man 1

36 minutes ago, Harper2Sox said:

To make fans less mad about the offseason — “The money will be spent.”

Just seems kind of the dumb for the org’s mouthpiece to come out and say this when it sounds like nothing will ultimately happen here (at least not now).

As for the idea in general, I’m somewhat mixed on this.  For a pitcher with the risk profile Cease has and having never made a single major league appearance, I’d want to buy at least two free agent year and preferably three.  I’d also expect the fixed commitment to be fairly reasonable for this to make any sense.

19 minutes ago, Sarava said:

I wouldnt lock up a pitcher that hasn't debuted yet. That's just dumb. And I love Cease's potential.

I think that’s just the initial thought anybody has when reading this.  The Sox have to be operating a layer or two deeper than this.  

Think more along the lines of this:

”Dylan, we like you and your potential.  You know anything can happen anytime to a pitcher so we’re offering you some life-changing money now that will secure your family and the next generations if invested wisely.  In exchange we want some suuuuuper cheap years and added control.  Think about it, no pressure.”

45 minutes ago, Jerksticks said:

I think that’s just the initial thought anybody has when reading this.  The Sox have to be operating a layer or two deeper than this.  

Think more along the lines of this:

”Dylan, we like you and your potential.  You know anything can happen anytime to a pitcher so we’re offering you some life-changing money now that will secure your family and the next generations if invested wisely.  In exchange we want some suuuuuper cheap years and added control.  Think about it, no pressure.”

There's a dollar amount I would do it for too, but yeah asking me to do that for a pitcher, they're gonna be giving an awful lot of options if they want a $25 million guarantee or whatever. So much more nervous about doing that for a pitcher than for a hitter. Dominate AAA for a few months and maybe I'm more flexible.