JDM staying in Boston

Buehrle>Wood

15 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’m not entirely sure why this board is obsessed with signing to starters honestly...are people really expecting a deep playoff run because we sign Wheeler and Odorozzi??

Rodon

Dunning

Cease

Kopech

Lopez

For better or worse, we need to figure out what we have in that group  next year. Spending $ on 2 guys + Gio makes that almost impossible. Obviously we need 1 starter to stabilize things, but no idea why people are so eager to spend big $ on a 3/4 starter like Odorizzi or Keuchle.

I'm good with them signing a back-end older type guy (like Rich Hill) who you can go back and forth between the rotation and bullpen. You can have Kopech start in the minors for about a month and have Hill (for example) in the rotation.

Also, you can never have enough pitching.

40 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I’m not entirely sure why this board is obsessed with signing to starters honestly...are people really expecting a deep playoff run because we sign Wheeler and Odorozzi??

Rodon

Dunning

Cease

Kopech

Lopez

For better or worse, we need to figure out what we have in that group  next year. Spending $ on 2 guys + Gio makes that almost impossible. Obviously we need 1 starter to stabilize things, but no idea why people are so eager to spend big $ on a 3/4 starter like Odorizzi or Keuchle.

Rodon won't even be ready until later in the year and hasn't been reliable since 2016. Dunning has never pitched in the majors plus he and Kopech are both coming off TJ. Lopez had an era over 5 this year and Cease is still in development. 

I'm sure they will all stay healthy and we won't need any additional rotation help though. 

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Rodon

Dunning

Cease

Kopech

Lopez

Pitching wins championships. While each of the 5 guys you listed have huge upside, none of them have proven anything. Not to mention that there are various injury concerns associated with all of them. The Sox need to get 2 quality starting pitchers this offseason. If they end up having 6 or 7 quality MLB starting pitchers by midseason, that is a fantastic problem to have.

58 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Rodon

Dunning

Cease

Kopech

Lopez

Assuming filling RF and DH with competent players our lineup looks really strong.  Beefing up starting pitching looks prudent with the unknown situations surrounding Kopech, Rodon, Dunning and Lopez...seems prudent to have plenty of reinforcements.  If things break our way...we can play against anyone.  If we sign Grandal we improve catcher and DH.  I'm thinking we get a Calhoun or Peterson type for RF.  I like that lineup a lot.  JDM would improve the lineup a ton...but not sure the Grandal acquisition wouldn't improve the team a bit more.  If the starter acquired was a #1 like Cole...even a Nova would satisfy me.  Also, a couple of competent relief guys our on the list as they are with every contending team.

6 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Pitching wins championships. While each of the 5 guys you listed have huge upside, none of them have proven anything. Not to mention that there are various injury concerns associated with all of them. The Sox need to get 2 quality starting pitchers this offseason. If they end up having 6 or 7 quality MLB starting pitchers by midseason, that is a fantastic problem to have.

100%. If we have an injury or two, we don't want to see Covey taking the ball every 5th day.

34 minutes ago, SoxFanForever said:

Rodon won't even be ready until later in the year and hasn't been reliable since 2016. Dunning has never pitched in the majors plus he and Kopech are both coming off TJ. Lopez had an era over 5 this year and Cease is still in development. 

I'm sure they will all stay healthy and we won't need any additional rotation help though. 

I understand that it’s delusional to think all of those guys will be healthy and pitching well...but it’s equally as delusional to think that the Sox signing 2 middle of the rotation starters is going to make a significant impact. 

43 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I understand that it’s delusional to think all of those guys will be healthy and pitching well...but it’s equally as delusional to think that the Sox signing 2 middle of the rotation starters is going to make a significant impact. 

It should make a big enough impact that in theory, we won't have to sit through more Covey/Santiago/Santana/Despaigne/Detailer starts. 

58 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

How wouldn't it?  Did you watch this team at all?  They won 72 games with 1.5 pitchers.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, BackDoorBreach said:

How wouldn't it?  Did you watch this team at all?  They won 72 games with 1.5 pitchers.

To clarify, I’m not saying don’t sign 2 pitchers in general. I’m saying don’t go out and spend big $ on 2 guys in the 2nd tier of this free agent group. Such as  spending $100+M combined for something like Odorozzi and Wheeler would be crazy in my opinion. 

Signing a cheaper vet for 1/2 years or taking a risk on a bounce back potential makes sense. 

Basically don’t overspend on 2 non impact players. I don’t think we will have a problem filling out the back of the rotation, the top of the rotation is where the focus needs to be (even tho I don’t think Cole is happening)

There actually is a lot of lower cost options I’d be interested in on the rotation. Mentioned it before but I think Porcello may be a good Coop pitcher. 

Also...I’d explore Kluber personally. They owe us a favor after Yondy.

10 hours ago, bmags said:

There actually is a lot of lower cost options I’d be interested in on the rotation. Mentioned it before but I think Porcello may be a good Coop pitcher. 

Also...I’d explore Kluber personally. They owe us a favor after Yondy.

I like Porcello. He does provide inning relief but he had a rough year. His walk/SO rate is still good but I saw him get pounded a few times this season.  I think the 2nd SP( 4/5) needs to be a lefty unless the other one ( 1/2/3)turns  out to be LH.  

27 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

I like Porcello. He does provide inning relief but he had a rough year. His walk/SO rate is still good but I saw him get pounded a few times this season.  I think the 2nd SP( 4/5) needs to be a lefty unless the other one ( 1/2/3)turns  out to be LH.  

So he started using his four seamer more and sinker less, and his sinker appeared unlucky this year. I think he’s still a 4.5 era pitcher at least.

14 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

These guys had ERAs under 4 for the most part. I prefer a front line starter but 2 number 3's is fine by me. Especially if the FO is convinced Giolito, Kopech, and Cease will be Ace caliber. What you don't want are guys like Covey, bad version of Lopez, Detweiler, Fulmer and other scrubs anywhere near your rotation. 

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, aeichhor said:

Yes, a Boston radio guy I believe is the source. What is even more interesting is later in his article he went through the Sale trade, and supposedly the White Sox were offered Lopez, Giolito and Robles for Sale, but wanted Trea Turner added. He also mentioned the Sox were trying to add Devers to the Boston deal, but that didn't happen.

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yes, a Boston radio guy I believe is the source. What is even more interesting is later in his article he went through the Sale trade, and supposedly the White Sox were offered Lopez, Giolito and Robles for Sale, but wanted Trea Turner added. He also mentioned the Sox were trying to add Devers to the Boston deal, but that didn't happen.

Nationals weren't trading Robles according to every other source. 

Regardless I think their return ended up being better than that.

10 hours ago, aeichhor said:

Was shocked when I logged in yesterday and this wasn't it's own thread...Definitely interesting but the 2019 season isn't even over yet...A 3 year deal for JDM makes a lot of sense for CWS

3 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Nationals weren't trading Robles according to every other source. 

Regardless I think their return ended up being better than that.

Hope so, interesting to see what other packages were around the league

I'm very happy with the hauls we've received for the most part, obviously Hahn's best work, if not his only good work here

We'll know one week from today whether JDM has opted out, and I expect him to.  I also think that within 24 hours after that decision, Boras will be talking about how hard JDM has been working on his defense and that he's willing to play either corner outfield or first base.  There's just no way that Boras is going to concede JDM's market is AL-only.  Before it's all said and done, we'll certainly get rumors from Heyman, etc. that there are mystery NL teams in on JDM.  Even if he signs with the White Sox, there will be a lot of doubt and hand-wringing before then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

I will take Moncada and Kopech over Gio, Lopez and Robles, especially when we used those negotiations to acquire 2 of 3 pieces discussed in a different trade not a significantly less valuable piece anyway.

Hahn takes a lot of crap around here, but he hit an absolute home runs on Sale, Eaton and Quintana trades.  A++.  Not directed at you DA, but people say its easy to trade elite players - well, go look at what the Marlins got for Yelich, and get back to me.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony said:

I don't disagree with your point, but Christian Yelich was very good in Miami, he took his game to a totally different level with the Brewers.  

He was about on Adam Eatons level. Giolito and Lopez >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Lew Brinson

Edited by mqr
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I will take Moncada and Kopech over Gio, Lopez and Robles, especially when we used those negotiations to acquire 2 of 3 pieces discussed in a different trade not a significantly less valuable piece anyway.

Hahn takes a lot of crap around here, but he hit an absolute home runs on Sale, Eaton and Quintana trades.  A++.  Not directed at you DA, but people say its easy to trade elite players - well, go look at what the Marlins got for Yelich, and get back to me.  

When the team actually starts winning, I will give Rick Hahn his proper due for building it. Until then, his reign has been an absolute mess.