Grandal - Early Off-Season Speculation

SonofaRoache

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

If they end up striking out at the B+ tier, I fully expect them to do the find warm bodies thing again and end up <100 mil

I could see a warm bodies offseason of something like Calhoun, Encarncaion, Wacha and Wood.  

The team's payroll would still be over $90M in that scenario.  To be clear, I am not in the slightest bit advocating for anything resembling that offseason - it would be truly disgusting - but there is no way the Sox aren't spending $40M+ in new AAV on FA/trades this winter.  

• Like 1

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

So you think the Sox are going to have a payroll under $90M?  

Thinking more whether they would outbid 3-4 teams for a guy. Don't build me up Buttercup. I hear the Dodgers will be spending. No worries about the Red Sox. Can Rick pull the trigger or is that Kenny's game.  

9 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

I could see a warm bodies offseason of something like Calhoun, Encarncaion, Wacha and Wood.  

The team's payroll would still be over $90M in that scenario.  To be clear, I am not in the slightest bit advocating for anything resembling that offseason - it would be truly disgusting - but there is no way the Sox aren't spending $40M+ in new AAV on FA/trades this winter.  

Does that $40 million include Abreu's raise if he ends up ultimately accepting the QO?

2 hours ago, Soxnfins said:

Grandal & Wheeler would be a legitimate perfect offseason for me. Figure out RF via trade. Those two fill two very obvious and holes. 

Grandal 4/68

Wheeler 5/95

Sign me up. 

I wouldn't want to go much higher on that Grandal contract at all.  But I could go higher on Wheeler.  That too is kind of my ideal offseason now too

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, cjgalloway said:

I wouldn't want to go much higher on that Grandal contract at all.  But I could go higher on Wheeler.  That too is kind of my ideal offseason now too

Yeah that's about top on the Grandal deal, I think 16-17MM per is his market, especially without a QO attached.  I still think the Sox try to keep Wheeler under $100MM, but that's jmo.

Edited by Soxnfins

I like where you guys are going. My views have adjusted in the past few weeks.

I'd be ok with Grandal + Wheeler as an offseason. I'm really coming around on N. Castellanos as well. I like Castellano's age and his hitting ability. Would be OK to have an OF of Cast + Eloy + Roberts and an IF of Grandal/Abreu/Madrigal/Anderson/Moncada.

No weak spots there, just a lot of youth inconsistency and of course suspect defense. 

Pitching we'd have Giolito/Wheeler/Kopech/Lopez/Cease which can be decent if Kopech/Cease/Lopez develop. 

Then maybe we ought to sign a RP or two. 

Edited by iWiN4PreP

On 11/5/2019 at 1:26 AM, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

What does that matter? He would be the same age in 2020, whether we signed him in 2020 or back in 2019. Except we now have our 2nd RD pick RHP Matthew Thompson in our system, whom we would have had to forfeit the right to draft in 2019 if we signed Grandal last year. If the Sox sign Grandal this off-season, that would be the best case scenario we could have had with him.

Best case scenario just happened my friends. This was brilliant. 😍😍

• Haha 1

On 10/31/2019 at 9:09 PM, poppysox said:

I said #1 position player.  The forum has beaten to death the starting pitchers, RF, DH and RP's needs and I have commented numerous times on the various possibilities.  My feeling is that Grandal/McCann/Collins handles the DH problem while upgrading the catching.  I am not a big fan of one dimensional DH types.

For those who told me I was going to be disappointed...I'm not.