Joc Pederson: How long will he be a future White Sox?

Y2Jimmy0

17 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Joc Pederson has been a White Sox target for years. The front office has spoken to his representation and he could finally play on the south side this year. I wrote about it at Southside Sox: https://www.southsidesox.com/2020/12/6/22155960/white-sox-joc-pederson-a-sensible-fit-joc-in-white-sox

Great stuff.  I’ve been on the Joc bandwagon for quite some time due to that 138 wRC+ against RHP across the 2018 & 2019 seasons.  While it would be great to have a guy like Springer who can play everyday, there is real value in adding a guy like Joc on the cheap to serve as the strong side of a RF platoon.  Do you have any sense of what it might take?  For whatever reason 2/$20M is the figure I’ve got in my head.

• Like 2

So I guess we're not getting springer lol.

This team is a joke honestly. Never play in the big kids pool.

Sox have two real holes and they're gonna plug them with bargain deals. Its embarrassing sox fans are excited or ok with this. 

Jimmy been telling us the Sox been in on springer. Now selling us on joc. Lol

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Joc Pederson has been a White Sox target for years. The front office has spoken to his representation and he could finally play on the south side this year. I wrote about it at Southside Sox: https://www.southsidesox.com/2020/12/6/22155960/white-sox-joc-pederson-a-sensible-fit-joc-in-white-sox

Nice write up, however I am a little confused by one thing. This is the batting line you sited : "He hit just .285/.397/.297 " . I am confused as to which stats those numbers represent. Normally BA would be 1st but you have it OBP  then SLG. but I can't find what your 3rd number .297 is.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

10 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sox have two real holes and they're gonna plug them with bargain deals. Its embarrassing sox fans are excited or ok with this. 

Joc isn’t my first choice obviously but I can live with a platoon in RF as long as they spend on pitching.

9 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

To be clear, I’m only “ok” with this move if it means they were to invest heavily into pitching upgrades.  For example, Bauer + Joc is a better use of limited funds than Springer + non Bauer free agent starter.  Obviously I’m not expecting Jerry to do the right thing and sign Bauer, but from a theoretical perspective there is logic to a Joc move.  That being said, if the Sox go cheap on pitching I’d hope / expect a serious pursuit of Springer and not just a token four year offer.

I totally agree on signing Pederson. Of the FA outfielders behind Springer, he's one of the few who isn't a defensive liability. With Jimenez likely stuck in left as long as Abreu and Vaughn are here, we can't afford a second defensive liability in the OF. Robert can only cover so much. 

Pederson also shouldn't break the bank, which should be spent on resigning Alex Colome and going after Trevor Bauer. 

Sign those 3, Sox, please!  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

I believe the gap in production between a Joc/Engel platoon and Springer is smaller than the gap in cost. I would love Springer, but I wouldn’t mind a Joc/Engel platoon that gives us a .900 OPS in RF for much less money and also allows us flexibility to go after a top end starter at the trade deadline or next offseason. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I would stay away from Joc.  Dodgers obviously don't want him.  He had a terrible year on a great team.  What's the attraction?  Okay, he makes out from the left side.  That's it, and he probably wants $10MM or so.

Because we need someone who “makes out from the left side” and who can play a capable RF at minimum?

• Like 1

Would love joc.. i think Springer would be fun, but he would totally derail this teams options to exoand with his contract

joc allows us to platoon him and engel in rf and get a lot of results without breaking the bank

plus... jocs power at guaranteed rate?? Awesome

would love if they got bauer tho, sp is not the area where you skimp around...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I would stay away from Joc.  Dodgers obviously don't want him.  He had a terrible year on a great team.  What's the attraction?  Okay, he makes out from the left side.  That's it, and he probably wants $10MM or so.

The Dodgers also did  not  want 2 of the 3 AL Cy Young finalists this year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Nice write up, however I am a little confused by one thing. This is the batting line you sited : "He hit just .285/.397/.297 " . I am confused as to which stats those numbers represent. Normally BA would be 1st but you have it OBP  then SLG. but I can't find what your 3rd number .297 is.

Batting average should be .190. It’s a typo 

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

To be clear, I’m only “ok” with this move if it means they were to invest heavily into pitching upgrades.  For example, Bauer + Joc is a better use of limited funds than Springer + non Bauer free agent starter.  Obviously I’m not expecting Jerry to do the right thing and sign Bauer, but from a theoretical perspective there is logic to a Joc move.  That being said, if the Sox go cheap on pitching I’d hope / expect a serious pursuit of Springer and not just a token four year offer.

They wont. Stop fooling yourself. The sox have never come close to playing in the deep end of the pitching pool. They are very risk averse there. If they don't get springer it will be another cheap out off season and I'm not celebrating the bargain joc buy at all.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

2 hours ago, SoxBlanco said:

I believe the gap in production between a Joc/Engel platoon and Springer is smaller than the gap in cost. I would love Springer, but I wouldn’t mind a Joc/Engel platoon that gives us a .900 OPS in RF for much less money and also allows us flexibility to go after a top end starter at the trade deadline or next offseason. 

Enough of this. My goodness. We're trying to win baseball games, and fans are worried about maximum dollar value. Smh

And engel has had one decent year in his life where he wasn't unplayable and sox want him to be a heavy platoon player. Its baffling. Engel is A FOURTH outfielder. Nothing more 

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Enough of this. My goodness. We're trying to win baseball games, and fans are worried about maximum dollar value. Smh

And engel has had one decent year in his life where he wasn't unplayable and sox want him to be a heavy platoon player. Its baffling. Engel is A FOURTH outfielder. Nothing more 

I don't think the fans WANT to worry about maximum dollar value, they are just being realistic given the owner of our team. Our owner is a cheap POS. Signing Springer or Bauer is a no brain for most teams, but we have to dream of it happening. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Engel has improved his bat in each of the last 2 seasons.

Edited by GreenSox

Just now, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

I don't think the fans WANT to worry about maximum dollar value, they are just being realistic given the owner of our team. Our owner is a cheap POS. Signing Springer or Bauer is a no brain for most teams, but we have to dream of it happening. 

Great im not gonna celebrate a Joc bargain bin signing though, certainly not gonna let people pretend to sell me that it's almost the same as springer while saying engel will play a lot lol. Sox fans love pain and misery. Justification for every awful move.