5/21 Chicago @ New York 6:05

SoxBlanco

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Gotta agree with Vulture here. Baseball was fun, even during 100 game summers as a midwest kid who was forced to pile all the games into a short window to get reps.

Doing physical labor everyday in the heat (like a roofer) or how about a mover is substantially harder. The work day for many people in this country is like 10 hours on your feet grinding away for nothing. Baseball players can go out and get hammered every night and you don't lift much during season for the most part. It might be 6-8 hours at a ball park but it's not all spent on your feet or anything of the likes. Calling it the most grueling thing seems a bit crazy. Working in an amazon factory (read Fulfillment) is substantially worse on the mind and the body for example.

Either way, silly argument all around which is why I loved chiming in with my pointless opinion!

Never worked in baseball (which, let's be honest, doesn't really have the reputation for being a tough industry)...but I've done physical grueling and "professional" grueling (travel/hours/stress) and the former is infinitely harder, though I've heard a lot more complaining about the latter. My equally pointless 1.5 cents.

Just now, Blackout Friday said:

Soooo.... Indians/Twins...who we cheering for?

Twinkies just don't scare me at this point, so I would be good with them taking the series but not sweeping.

3 minutes ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

Never worked in baseball (which, let's be honest, doesn't really have the reputation for being a tough industry)...but I've done physical grueling and "professional" grueling (travel/hours/stress) and the former is infinitely harder, though I've heard a lot more complaining about the latter. My equally pointless 1.5 cents.

The question wasn't which us harder. The question was can an MLB season be considered "grueling " since their hands are baby soft.

3 minutes ago, ptatc said:

The question wasn't which us harder. The question was can an MLB season be considered "grueling " since their hands are baby soft.

To be fair, you said nothing was as grueling, not simply that it was.

You couldn't pay me a million a year to be a mover or to wash dishes for 10 hours in a dish room with no ac.

5 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Well, not as I read the exchange, since the poster making the original point conceded that elements of both types of job were "grueling" (and hence there was no real disagreement about that point.)  I think the poster's point was really that the difference in difficulty between the two is so astronomical that it's a little crazy to complain about baseball being "grueling" when so many people have it much, much harder. But starting to devolve into semantics here, so I'm going to leave the salt mines (i.e. my air conditioned office) and watch some baseball!

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

You couldn't pay me a million a year to be a mover or to wash dishes for 10 hours in a dish room with no ac.

I might take that gig for 6 months at that pay, ok maybe 3 months.

2 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

True. Perhaps it was a little hyperbole. Perhaps a better way to put it is that it is as grueling as any of those.

The grueling the life on the road of constant traveling and lack of rest and being away from your family is extremely  stressful. Not physically tough as what most people consider  grueling.