More Moncada hot takez

joejoesox

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

What's crazy is that Moncada's Line Drive percentage is actually up 8 full percentage points this year, (30.5% vs 22.5 LY, and 23.1% in 19) so he is making quality contact more often this year.  This exit velocity is up this year over last year (90 vs 87.8), but decently down vs 19 (93.1).  The mechanics are there for an explosive second half if he gets past the injuries nagging him.

he's made at least 5 outs over 390 feet.  Probably closer to 10.  He's hit the top of the wall a couple times.  some of it is bad luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

What's crazy is that Moncada's Line Drive percentage is actually up 8 full percentage points this year, (30.5% vs 22.5 LY, and 23.1% in 19) so he is making quality contact more often this year.  This exit velocity is up this year over last year (90 vs 87.8), but decently down vs 19 (93.1).  The mechanics are there for an explosive second half if he gets past the injuries nagging him.

This is a good post and I agree. 

18 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

Sounds like you don't really know, Jack.

At least not for sure.

Sale pitched 147 innings in 2019 and his peripherals were pretty similar to the rest of his career except with HRs allowed.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/salech01.shtml

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Fire 1

14 hours ago, joesaiditstrue said:

this was the main piece for Sale remember.

I recall there being a debate as to if we should have got Benetendi or Devers instead. Devers sure looks nice. Yoyo is dope though. 

1 hour ago, hi8is said:

I recall there being a debate as to if we should have got Benetendi or Devers instead. Devers sure looks nice. Yoyo is dope though. 

Just last year, people were saying we dodged a bullet on Devers (based on his numbers last year). Now he looks good. That's the cyclical nature of baseball. When Moncada heats up again, this thread will be buried and I say good riddance.

2 hours ago, harkness99 said:

moncada is good.. the only thing missing his that we thought he would hit home runs - everything else it where it should be.

Not quite, this guy was suppose to be a superstar, do you remember the video and the hype the Sox put out before his first game. Decent player yes, superstar not even close.

BTW, trading Sale was a good thing, he was an injury waiting to happen.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Not quite, this guy was suppose to be a superstar, do you remember the video and the hype the Sox put out before his first game. Decent player yes, superstar not even close.

Decent player...uh huh. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm concerned that it does disappear when you contract a disease that nobody knows much about the long-term ramifications. 

Freeman was the other guy that had it, and he's having a bad season this year. 

I mean, Freddie has an 871 ops after starting incredibly slow. wRC+ is 132 and it was 138 two years ago. Not only that but freddie a 187 wrc last year while having covid.

1 hour ago, Chisoxmb35 said:

Just last year, people were saying we dodged a bullet on Devers (based on his numbers last year). Now he looks good. That's the cyclical nature of baseball. When Moncada heats up again, this thread will be buried and I say good riddance.

Truth. Nice user name, btw.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

if he was hitting home runs he would be a super star.. so exactly what i said pretty much.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, reiks12 said:

I think people who are disappointed in Moncada are expecting his 2019 to be his floor and thats just unrealistic. We might never see the 2019 version again but hes still very productive. I don't think hes a 2 or 3 hitter right now however.

I think what is actually missing is that he doesn’t feature his speed in any real way. If he did, this is probably a different conversation, even without the homers. He is solid of course . Just that he is one of those guys that leaves you wanting more. You would like to see him retire here, but he’ll need to step it up for that to be a forgone conclusion. I don’t believe the team will overpay for him when the time comes in the current form.

Edited by Chick Mercedes

Listen, Moncada is still my favorite position player on the Sox. I think the world of his talent. He and Robert are just so damn talented. 

I'm just a bit frustrated because of his toolset, every full season he's played there's been one aspect of his game that was lacking. in 2018, it was hitting for average, in 2019 it was walks, in 2020 he was covid injured and in 2021 he doesn't have any power. 

He's incredibly frustrating........I keep waiting for him to put together a season where he showcases every piece of his toolset but it hasn't happened yet. He's 26 with 4 full seasons worth of games in MLB now and you have to wonder if there's always going to be something with him where he doesn't put it all together. 

I still have hope that he's going to put it all together for a few seasons, but that hope is diminishing. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

24 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Listen, Moncada is still my favorite position player on the Sox. I think the world of his talent. He and Robert are just so damn talented. 

I'm just a bit frustrated because of his toolset, every full season he's played there's been one aspect of his game that was lacking. in 2018, it was hitting for average, in 2019 it was walks, in 2020 he was covid injured and in 2021 he doesn't have any power. 

He's incredibly frustrating........I keep waiting for him to put together a season where he showcases every piece of his toolset but it hasn't happened yet. He's 26 with 4 full seasons worth of games in MLB now and you have to wonder if there's always going to be something with him where he doesn't put it all together. 

I still have hope that he's going to put it all together for a few seasons, but that hope is diminishing. 

This is good timing Jack. You over-worrying about something usually leads to good things for the Sox.

• Fire 2

55 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I have hope he puts up some 10WAR seasons too.  

I also prefer 10 WAR seasons to 5 WAR seasons, just like you.  

When is he gonna walk into Trout’s house and piss 12 WAR all over his face?  Hopefully sooner rather than later. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2

7 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Again, Moncada has the 3rd most WAR of any 3B since 2019, behind only Bregman and Rendon.

He is an elite 3B, I'm not sure how anyone could say otherwise.

Saying he's a "decent player" is like saying Trout is "pretty good"

• Like 1