Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

The White Sox's offseason was geared around their bullpen, as they added Kendall Graveman, Joe Kelly, and Vince Velasquez to their bunch. They also exercised Craig Kimbrel's option, ostensibly with an eye on trading him. That deal has yet to materialize, but we're not going to ding them too much for an apparent misstep. Their only moves offensively were the retention of Leury García and the addition of Josh Harrison. We would've liked to have seen them add another outfielder, but that's a complaint that can be addressed at the deadline if need be. GRADE: B

Twins got an A.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-offseason-grades-dodgers-blue-jays-mets-braves-twins-get-high-marks-yankees-astros-needed-more/

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kinda sad Stoney said his most exciting acquisition of the offseason has been Joe Kelly

lol ya know, the guy who won't even break camp with the team cause he's still hurt.

45 minutes ago, RibbieRubarb said:

Ok...dude...I guess you got me...

🙄

It’s not about getting people. I just didn’t understand why multiple threads were created, the only thing that made sense is what Balta said.

3 minutes ago, fathom said:

Kinda sad Stoney said his most exciting acquisition of the offseason has been Joe Kelly

I mean, it’s him or Graveman by default.  Harrison is the opposite of exciting and Velasquez is the definition of just a guy.  Still can’t believe we spent $30M on those four plus Leury.

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I mean, it’s him or Graveman by default.  Harrison is the opposite of exciting and Velasquez is the definition of just a guy.  Still can’t believe we spent $30M on those four plus Leury.

The funny thing is, I don’t really think anyone bats too much of an eye at spending what we did on those guys if they just signed an impact RF first. The order of events has really pissed off the fan base. Of course, there is still the best fit out there. Truthfully outside of the lack of Conforto, it’s not too far from what I expected. Certainly did expect them to acquire a backup catcher tho. 

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

The funny thing is, I don’t really think anyone bats too much of an eye at spending what we did on those guys if they just signed an impact RF first. The order of events has really pissed off the fan base. Of course, there is still the best fit out there. Truthfully outside of the lack of Conforto, it’s not too far from what I expected. Certainly did expect them to acquire a backup catcher tho. 

I was definitely expecting an impact lefty bat at 2nd or RF

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Agreed the Sox came into the off season. With holes and addressed very little if any. There minors leagues suck , so can’t address from within, and they really didn’t get any difference makers just fill ins. Others addressed there holes with difference makers. If we are done adding then it will be tough to go deep this year just like past years. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Here’s the problem…there isn’t anything left after Conforto and we’ve already settled on a cheap, low ceiling 2B.  So I agree the order doesn’t matter, but if they don’t land Conforto then they basically have zero plans to improve the lineup through the addition of power and/or left-handed balance.  And that’s simply unacceptable when in the middle of their championship window.  At a bare minimum they should have signed Eduardo Escobar to play 2B as he would have at least addressed the power need.  And honestly, I could live with Harrison if he’s paired with Conforto, but until that actually happens, it’s a failure of an offseason.  That one big move is going to make or break it for us.  And I still think we need another starter, but let’s agree to disagree on that one until the Conforto situation plays out.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Here’s the problem…there isn’t anything left after Conforto and we’ve already settled on a cheap, low ceiling 2B.  So I agree the order doesn’t matter, but if they don’t land Conforto then they basically have zero plans to improve the lineup through the addition of power and/or left-handed balance.  And that’s simply unacceptable when in the middle of their championship window.  At a bare minimum they should have signed Eduardo Escobar to play 2B as he would have at least addressed the power need.  And honestly, I could live with Harrison if he’s paired with Conforto, but until that actually happens, it’s a failure of an offseason.  That one big move is going to make or break it for us.  And I still think we need another starter, but let’s agree to disagree on that one until the Conforto situation plays out.

Yah we are and have been on the same page on this since the beginning. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, fathom said:

I was definitely expecting an impact lefty bat at 2nd or RF

Yeah.me too. There weren’t any options at 2B so truthfully I’ve expected Conforto the whole time. Not all hope is lost yet. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gogosox1959 said:

Kimbrel possibilities opening up:

Seattle: Sadler "going to be down for quite some time" quote from Mariner mgr on MLBTR

St. Louis: Reyes out until late May or early June (also article on MLBTR)

Hicks and Gallegos...St.L seems like one of those teams like the White Sox used to be (post Koch/pre Robertson) that would never overspend on a reliever.

A healthy Engel may be the key to the non-Conforto non-signing. Doling out ABs to the two young sluggers will be a challenge for Tony. Lucky he's got us to advise him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pcq said:

A healthy Engel may be the key to the non-Conforto non-signing. Doling out ABs to the two young sluggers will be a challenge for Tony. Lucky he's got us to advise him. 

Not signing a RF because a platoon player who was injured most of last year might be healthy is dumb.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Quin locked this topic