Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 07:56 PM)
What's with being so dramatic on Twitter?

You're on Twitter? Never knew.

I don't know. I'm just an emotional fan. I love the White Sox more than just about anything and it sucks to see them be cellar dwellers every season. I want change and that starts with Cespedes IMO.

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Jan 21, 2016 -> 02:06 AM)
You're on Twitter? Never knew.

I don't know. I'm just an emotional fan. I love the White Sox more than just about anything and it sucks to see them be cellar dwellers every season. I want change and that starts with Cespedes IMO.

Not on Twitter but looked at the comments of Nightengale's tweet.

It doesn't even make sense if it's 3 years THEN an opt-out (for a four year deal).

Cespedes would need to get the opt-out after the first or second year to make it more attractive.

Waiting until he's 32-33 is going to depress his market in the same way it impacted Gordon.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:13 PM)
I'll just say this, if Cespedes signs a 4 year deal with another team and it's anyone but the Mets, this board will implode and Rick Hahn might get murdered at SoxFest. This late in the game, it's hard to believe this three year s*** is posturing.

NASCAR

At this point, the Cardinals and Giants and Angels and all those teams we were counting out earlier (including the Rangers and Nationals, who are now apparently back in it)....have to be considered rivals for Fowler and Jackson to a lesser extent.

Who are the last four with QO's left on the market?

There's Fowler, Desmond, Gallardo and one more, right?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:25 PM)
At this point, the Cardinals and Giants and Angels and all those teams we were counting out earlier (including the Rangers and Nationals, who are now apparently back in it)....have to be considered rivals for Fowler and Jackson to a lesser extent.

Who are the last four with QO's left on the market?

There's Fowler, Desmond, Gallardo and one more, right?

Kendrick

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 06:23 PM)
We only have so much information to go off of, so lets use the facts we have.

1. It was reported today by national outlets that the White Sox were one of the finalists for Cespedes

2. It has been very much established over the last year or so that Bob Nightengale is a mouthpiece for the White Sox in so many ways, and has a direct line with someone very high up in the front office.

3. Nothing has been reported by members of the Sox traveling press core that there have been any negotiations or any serious talks between the White Sox and Cespedes. Meaning, the Sox beat reporters for the most part get there information from the team or someone close to the club, and in some ways serve a certain master. If things are getting close, there is no advantage for the White Sox to leak that out there and get people excited.

4. Where you have to make a bit of a leap is guessing why this report came out now. My best guess would be talks started back up, and have now hit a snag. The Sox want to put pressure on things and make a statement(whether or not you think that's the right strategy is another argument) that they are staying firm on 3 years. If you are the White Sox and have that information, are you giving it to Scott Merkin or Dan Hayes, or are you going to go national with someone like Nightengale, to achieve a bigger reach?

Right. This is posturing on the part of the Sox.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Fathom's second question is also answered in the affirmative. Suddenly, the Sox will be negotiating with Fowler.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:23 PM)
We only have so much information to go off of, so lets use the facts we have.

1. It was reported today by national outlets that the White Sox were one of the finalists for Cespedes

2. It has been very much established over the last year or so that Bob Nightengale is a mouthpiece for the White Sox in so many ways, and has a direct line with someone very high up in the front office.

3. Nothing has been reported by members of the Sox traveling press core that there have been any negotiations or any serious talks between the White Sox and Cespedes. Meaning, the Sox beat reporters for the most part get there information from the team or someone close to the club, and in some ways serve a certain master. If things are getting close, there is no advantage for the White Sox to leak that out there and get people excited.

4. Where you have to make a bit of a leap is guessing why this report came out now. My best guess would be talks started back up, and have now hit a snag. The Sox want to put pressure on things and make a statement(whether or not you think that's the right strategy is another argument) that they are staying firm on 3 years. If you are the White Sox and have that information, are you giving it to Scott Merkin or Dan Hayes, or are you going to go national with someone like Nightengale, to achieve a bigger reach?

If I am the White Sox and was offering 4 years, I would want it out there that I wouldn't go more than 3 for other teams' sake. It could keep a teamfrom offering 5 years because they think no one else is offering 4. You can't believe everything you read because the White sox don't negotiate in the press, but like you pointed out, agents and teams leak things for a reason. They are playing the game. Hopefully when this wraps up he is a WhiteSox or else we are going to have to go through this crap,for the next candidate which I think would be Fowler. Steve Stone keep mentioning left handed hitting the other day. Cespedes cover that with reverse splits. Fowler is a better hitter right handed but does get on base and has more power left handed.

Does anyone actually believe any of the Twitter activity is going to do anything but influence fans and the media relations groups for each team...and Twitter itself?

It feels like one of those "well, we were involved all along and tried our best but the terms just weren't right for the long-term financial health of the organization" things.

It's pretty hard to conceive how this will be in any way beneficial to the White Sox unless they end up improving the team significantly before Opening Day.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)
I hate that a pick is attached to Fowler, but given the money involved, the makeup up the current Sox roster, the future, and a number of smaller reasons, I actually want Fowler more than Cespedes. I think it's a better fit.

No to Fowler

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:34 PM)
I hate that a pick is attached to Fowler, but given the money involved, the makeup up the current Sox roster, the future, and a number of smaller reasons, I actually want Fowler more than Cespedes. I think it's a better fit.

Cespedes career OPS .805, Fowler .781.

If it saves you $70-80 million, it does seem Fowler is the better choice. If the 2015 Cespedes shows up in 2016, 2017, then he would be worth the payout. Cespedes is the better player, but maybe not if the 2013/2014 version of him shows up for the 2016 season.

I think of the big 3 he had the highest ceiling but the lowest floor.

Knowing where things stand right now, I almost wish they would have just signed Kendrick, Desmond and stuck Lawrie in the outfield. Lawrie couldn't possibly be worse than Garcia out there, could he?

That way, we'd have the potential for above average offensive production from every position on the field, DH would be improved with Garcia/LaRoche platooning and Saladino/Sanchez would fall into their more suitable bench roles.

To hell with it...it's to the point where you keep wasting Sale/Q/Rodon seasons and you're increasing the probability each and every season that goes by that one of them goes down to injury and then you're absolutely screwed 100%.

The thing is, all these draft picks are going to be arriving way too late to "save" the White Sox in 2019 or 2020 anyway.

And we still retain our higher first round draft pick.

Edited by caulfield12