2016 Cubs catch-all thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 07:39 AM)
Baseball is too random. I'll watch some of the playoffs, but I'm in full football mode now.

Ok, well at least we won't have to hear you say something along the lines of "see told you guys the Cubs were going to win the World Series" if they do win it. Waiting for J4L now. Hopefully he takes my bet, it will give me another incentive for rooting against the Cubs in the playoffs.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 08:00 AM)
Ok, well at least we won't have to hear you say something along the lines of "see told you guys the Cubs were going to win the World Series" if they do win it. Waiting for J4L now. Hopefully he takes my bet, it will give me another incentive for rooting against the Cubs in the playoffs.

To take the bet, any bet pro-Cubs, means I would have to root for the Cubs to win. Something I've never done in my life. Just because I respect/envy the juggernaut they've built doesn't mean I'm sitting in front of the tv screaming whenever Bryant ropes one out of the park.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
To take the bet, any bet pro-Cubs, means I would have to root for the Cubs to win. Something I've never done in my life. Just because I respect/envy the juggernaut they've built doesn't mean I'm sitting in front of the tv screaming whenever Bryant ropes one out of the park.

You have no problem praising them here or any other non Chicago team. Why not put your money where your mouth is?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)

Cop out. You don't need to root for them to take the bet. I mean if it's inevitable the dominant Cubs are going all the way anyway, it doesn't matter whether you root for or against them and why not make some $ in the process?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)
You have no problem praising them here or any other non Chicago team. Why not put your money where your mouth is?

That's a good question DA. I think I know the answer. As I already said about Deadpool at least we won't have to hear "see I told you the Cubs were going all the way" line from J4L because he doesn't believe it enough to take the bet. Put up or shut up.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 02:47 PM)
Don't forget DJ LeMahieu as well...with Bryant, Rizzo and Russell, that's four Top 40 guys in terms of WAR.

They traded him...why are we bringing this up? Because he's only similar to Bryant in that the Cubs drafted him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 01:09 PM)

What other Chicago team deserves any type of praise other than the Cubs? The Sox, Bulls and Bears are burnt cheese toast.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 01:42 PM)
Cop out. You don't need to root for them to take the bet. I mean if it's inevitable the dominant Cubs are going all the way anyway, it doesn't matter whether you root for or against them and why not make some $ in the process?

I said the Cubs are the best team in baseball and heavy favorites. I never said they were a lock to win the World Series.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 04:42 PM)
What other Chicago team deserves any type of praise other than the Cubs? The Sox, Bulls and Bears are burnt cheese toast.

I said the Cubs are the best team in baseball and heavy favorites. I never said they were a lock to win the World Series.

Why wouldn't you take 4:1 odds on the best team in baseball and heavy favorites to win the World Series? I mean those are great odds for a team in their position no? Do you think they are going to win the World Series? It's a simple question. If the answer is yes why not take the wager?

Cubbies are the best organization in sports today. Get with the program you guys. Please change board to "cubstalk.com" and we can accomodate a new skin (a more blueish tone preferrably). Btw I'd take any bet, Cubs going all the way in '16, probably in '17 too. Health permitting (praise the Lord).

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 27, 2016 -> 09:57 PM)
Why wouldn't you take 4:1 odds on the best team in baseball and heavy favorites to win the World Series? I mean those are great odds for a team in their position no? Do you think they are going to win the World Series? It's a simple question. If the answer is yes why not take the wager?

No thanks. I don't bet on baseball. You wanna do nba? I got the Warriors winning fairly easily. lol.

This conversation is silly. In the past 15 years, only 3 times has the team with the best regular season record won the World Series. (Ironically, two of those were Red Sox) The Cubs are the best team in baseball, but anything can happen in the MLB Playoffs, especially with a best of 5 series thrown in there, potentially against Kershaw twice.

That's why I like when Theo originally said that his goal is to build a playoff contender year after year. Baseball is too fickle to try and build a one-time champion, give yourself as many chances as possible in the playoffs. (The 2005 Sox did the one-time thing, but the last ten years have shown us differently.)

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 08:45 PM)
This conversation is silly. In the past 15 years, only 3 times has the team with the best regular season record won the World Series. (Ironically, two of those were Red Sox) The Cubs are the best team in baseball, but anything can happen in the MLB Playoffs, especially with a best of 5 series thrown in there, potentially against Kershaw twice.

That's why I like when Theo originally said that his goal is to build a playoff contender year after year. Baseball is too fickle to try and build a one-time champion, give yourself as many chances as possible in the playoffs. (The 2005 Sox did the one-time thing, but the last ten years have shown us differently.)

You mean the same Clayton Kershaw with a career postseason ERA of 4.59? I'd be more worried about a potential first round matchup with the Mets or Giants if I'm the Cubs.

Also, I know this is all hypothetical but what would the Cubs do in a division like the AL East? Positive they wouldn't have 80+ wins right now. They are feasting off the NL bottom feeders. Against teams over .500 they have a record of 35-27. Not exactly shredding the competition against playoff caliber teams. 18-15 against teams that would be in the playoffs if the season ended today.

Edited by JUSTgottaBELIEVE

The Cubs have done the exact opposite of what the White Sox are doing: eating their division alive, whereas the Sox are being eaten alive. Sure they are pretty even with the Cardinals but the Pirates, Reds and Milwaukee don't even put up a fight against them. That's how you win a division and get into the playoffs.

QUOTE (aryzner @ Aug 29, 2016 -> 11:05 PM)
The Cubs have done the exact opposite of what the White Sox are doing: eating their division alive, whereas the Sox are being eaten alive. Sure they are pretty even with the Cardinals but the Pirates, Reds and Milwaukee don't even put up a fight against them. That's how you win a division and get into the playoffs.

Struggling against the division has been a recurring theme for the White Sox, but 2003 is always the first thing that comes to my mind. The Tigers went 43-119, yet the Sox only managed an 11-8 record against them. The Twins went 15-4 and won the divison by 4 games.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Aug 28, 2016 -> 03:57 AM)

Those are incredible odds for the money. If you go to Vegas you got to bet 1,000 on the Cubs to win 4 grand.

Exciting baseball on the North side, that's for sure. I know for sure that I miss exciting baseball. As avid a Cub hater as I once was, I grew out of that irrational hatred for something as silly as a sports team. Why waste energy hating? Those of you who do, this is not a shot at you, just my own introspective feelings. I am from Illinois and align with Chicago sports teams. The White Sox are my #1 baseball team but as they continue to flounder with year after year of bad baseball, there is another option of exciting (really exciting) baseball. Who wins inside me? The once avid Cub hater who actively rooted against them in 2003? Or the baseball enthusiast who is lucky enough to have another great sports team in the city of Chicago besides the Blackhawks? I don't know if I can root against them. Maybe it's because I don't know enough obnoxious Cub fans like many Sox fans do to fuel that Cub distaste.

I don't know. Whatever is going on on the North side, I feel left out. You won't see me buying any Cubs tickets or clothing, but this Sox fan might just be rooting for the Cubs come October.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2016 -> 08:32 PM)
Hendricks should be Cy Young. It's crazy how he has become a superstar out of nowhere.

He's really no where near the Cy Young award, but he is doing really well for some reason. Him and Arrieta are running super low BABIPs. In fact, both Lester and Lackey and even Hammel have real low BABIPs too. I wonder if that's a lot of luck on their side, a product of facing weak NL offenses, or just having a really good defense. Or a combination.

All 5 Cubs starters are in the top 11 in lowest BABIPs in baseball. 5 of 11! Arrieta (2), Hendricks (6), Hammel, Lackey, Lester (9, 10, 11).

Edited by ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Aug 31, 2016 -> 01:47 AM)
He's really no where near the Cy Young award, but he is doing really well for some reason. Him and Arrieta are running super low BABIPs. In fact, both Lester and Lackey and even Hammel have real low BABIPs too. I wonder if that's a lot of luck on their side, a product of facing weak NL offenses, or just having a really good defense. Or a combination.

All 5 Cubs starters are in the top 11 in lowest BABIPs in baseball. 5 of 11! Arrieta (2), Hendricks (6), Hammel, Lackey, Lester (9, 10, 11).

I think it's a combination of all of what you said.

Went to my first Cubs game in probably 15 years if not more(it's been so long I wasn't aware they had no stadium parking until we got there), have to say the atmosphere at the game was so much cooler than anything I've experienced at a sox game. I know they are a great team this season which helps but it was also just a regular season game against an opponent they had crushed all season long.