2017 Offseason White Sox News, Notes, and Tweets thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Jan 26, 2018 -> 11:14 PM)
wow, that's a great update and perhaps lends more credence to the "minor" version of his shoulder surgery story the Sox are selling. Hell, if he's already starting his throwing program you'd think he's only a few weeks behind. Maybe a May debut?

He said tonight he hopes to be ready by ASB. So he will probably be ready by 2021

• Replies 673
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 09:05 AM)
Do you have a link to the article? Would love to read it.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 09:39 AM)

Awesome and thanks for sharing. I’m actually pretty excited about this kid. Cordell mentioned in an Athletic article that he feels most comfortable in CF and if he can actually stick there then we might just have something here.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 10:00 AM)
Awesome and thanks for sharing. I’m actually pretty excited about this kid. Cordell mentioned in an Athletic article that he feels most comfortable in CF and if he can actually stick there then we might just have something here.

Great, hopefully he can develop into a 2+ WAR CF so that that's the White Sox worst case scenario when it's time to complete, with an upside of a 5+ WAR Robert.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Jan 27, 2018 -> 04:11 PM)
Great, hopefully he can develop into a 2+ WAR CF so that that's the White Sox worst case scenario when it's time to compete, with an upside of a 5+ WAR Robert.

I think we are sort of fine at CF we have three guys who can play the position in Garcia, Tilson and Cordell all are intriguing. I think L Garcia has some power if he can figure out to be a little more selective thats sort of the difference between him being a .700 hitter and a .800 hitter. Tilson is a guy everyone was high on. Cordell has raked in the minors.

It's why I never really wanted to trade for a CF like Yelich. We don't know what we have not even with robert but the wave of guys ahead of him. We need to let the young guys play and then figure out from there where we need to fill holes.

It's hard to sort of know at this point.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 28, 2018 -> 12:33 PM)
Thanks guys but probably not going to be putting much time into it unfortunately.

Well you probably have schoolwork or something and it might not be your 1st priority but it should be near the top. You have a good camera presence , good knowledge and best of all can express that knowledge in a clear precise and unhesitating manner. I could easily see you doing this on the MLB network as the Sox rep just like Dan Hayes did and unfortunatly Phil Rogers still does.

You should get an agent if you don't have one. You already have a decent resume with written, in the field work and in front of the camera. If you would like to continue in the sports field and wish to hear more you can message me. I don't have any "ins" in the field or anything but I have a few more suggestions for in front of the camera work that I wouldn't want to put here.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 10:17 AM)
Well you probably have schoolwork or something and it might not be your 1st priority but it should be near the top. You have a good camera presence , good knowledge and best of all can express that knowledge in a clear precise and unhesitating manner. I could easily see you doing this on the MLB network as the Sox rep just like Dan Hayes did and unfortunatly Phil Rogers still does.

You should get an agent if you don't have one. You already have a decent resume with written, in the field work and in front of the camera. If you would like to continue in the sports field and wish to hear more you can message me. I don't have any "ins" in the field or anything but I have a few more suggestions for in front of the camera work that I wouldn't want to put here.

I think raBBit has invested heavily in a career path in finance/accounting and wants to see that through. He no doubt could be a Scott Merkin or Dan Hayes type IMO or even more since he has a far deeper understanding of the game, but I don’t think that interests him at the moment.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 10:37 AM)
I think raBBit has invested heavily in a career path in finance/accounting and wants to see that through. He no doubt could be a Scott Merkin or Dan Hayes type IMO or even more since he has a far deeper understanding of the game, but I don't think that interests him at the moment.

TBH, that is a thankless industry that is going through monumental change. These guys have no job security and maybe no future depending on what direction things go into. Information is so cheap and easy to access now, careers like journalism and related areas are just being decimated. I have been in Sports information in one form or another is something I have been involved in on the side for most of my adult life, but it is a bad place to be trying to make a living now. If I were him, I would be sticking with finance or accounting too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 10:44 AM)
TBH, that is a thankless industry that is going through monumental change. These guys have no job security and maybe no future depending on what direction things go into. Information is so cheap and easy to access now, careers like journalism and related areas are just being decimated. I have been in Sports information in one form or another is something I have been involved in on the side for most of my adult life, but it is a bad place to be trying to make a living now. If I were him, I would be sticking with finance or accounting too.

100% agree. The uncertainty sucks, but some of those jobs require a ton of travel and/or s***ty working hours. Not necessarily the type of life a lot of people are looking for nowadays.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jan 29, 2018 -> 11:14 AM)
Thank you guys for the kind words. CWS is right about my time being invested in business. I am professional services and have been working mostly 60+ hours week since Christmas and it will continue to be that way until the end of March. I have talked about this with SS2K with this in the past and feel the same way as he has posted above.

It's such a tough industry. What I would love is to have a podcast or weekly radio show about the Sox that I could do April-September and then in December where I don't have to do any of the producing/editing/recording but it's obviously not easy to find such a scenario.

Not only that, but these types of jobs/gigs are few and far between and all of the people hiring for these types of position have a background in journalism/broadcasting and hire people with backgrounds in journalism/broadcasting. Both of my degrees are business degrees. It's a lot of fun and I've met countless outstanding people through it all but it becomes harder to devote time to every month.

Yes... "real life" can suck balls.

( says the single father raising a little almost 4 year old tiny heart holding bazooka. )

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 31, 2018 -> 10:01 PM)
The Escobar stuff is interesting, but the best part is the Alfredo Griffin All-star story.

The whole thing is great.

When the Tigers’ Alan Trammell hurt his arm and could not play tonight, Manager Joe Altobelli named Griffin to the team, partly because he’s a fine player, but mostly because he was here.”

He was there. There are higher virtues, but none so easy to take for granted.

Just saw an article on ESPN.com chronicling Brian Cashman's 20 year career as Yanks' GM, listing his four best trades. #4 was when he "stole" Nick Swisher from White Sox. He gave up Betemit, Marquez, and Jhonny Nunez.

Edited by oldsox

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 1, 2018 -> 07:32 AM)
Just saw an article on ESPN.com chronicling Brian Cashman's 20 year career as Yanks' GM, listing his four best trades. #4 was when he "stole" Steve Swisher from White Sox. He gave up Betemit, Marquez, and Jhonny Nunez.

Sox needed to get rid of Swisher. Didn't really matter what they got in return. The problem was trading for him to begin with

D'oh, sorry he is responding to a person asking where Tim Anderson would go in a 2013 redraft. JJ Cooper was talking about how with Appel retiring, the 2013 draft is one of the worst in recent memories aside from Bryant.