White Sox have "set" Luis Robert market

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 04:28 PM)
I don't understand why that behavior is bad though. It's no different than NBA teams trading for trade exceptions so that they can accept a more expensive player in the future. The receiving team gets something they can use (cash) the seller gives something valuable (allotted space)

That said, I doubt a cash trade would be a likely scenario. A player with a small likelihood to succeed is probably still more valuable to a team than 300k.

There was a point in the 1970's (and Charlie O'Finely) where the A's literally were trying to sell their best players off to the highest bidder. IIRC, the Yankees were right the front of the line before MLB finally stepped in. At that point, they put some restrictions on cash deals which didn't exist before.

I want to say it was in reaction to free agency?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
There was a point in the 1970's (and Charlie O'Finely) where the A's literally were trying to sell their best players off to the highest bidder. IIRC, the Yankees were right the front of the line before MLB finally stepped in. At that point, they put some restrictions on cash deals which didn't exist before.

That's seems familiar. I think you're right.

I'm not buying the accusation that the Sox have a bad organization since they have not made the playoffs for ten years.

And how convenient to create the artificial time frame beginning when they won the WS.

Compare a larger sample size...say 100 years. One World Series Championship for the cubs in over 100 years, and that was a lucky win in the 10th inning of game seven, or they would still be looking for one of them. Bad organization? Frankly I do not like old Joe Ricketts and the dirty Wall Street money he brought into Chicago, the demolition of the bleachers, the ridiculous scoreboards, or the over development at the small tract of land on Clark.

The Sox are in good financial shape right now and are not burdened with bloated player contracts for older under-performing players.

THAT is why they are in a great position to go after a player like Robert and they will. If the bidding gets crazy, they will pass.

This guy may just be an over-hyped Yasiel Puig once he faces major league pitching.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)
I'm not buying the accusation that the Sox have a bad organization since they have not made the playoffs for ten years.

And how convenient to create the artificial time frame beginning when they won the WS.

Compare a larger sample size...say 100 years. One World Series Championship for the cubs in over 100 years, and that was a lucky win in the 10th inning of game seven, or they would still be looking for one of them. Bad organization? Frankly I do not like old Joe Ricketts and the dirty Wall Street money he brought into Chicago, the demolition of the bleachers, the ridiculous scoreboards, or the over development at the small tract of land on Clark.

The Sox are in good financial shape right now and are not burdened with bloated player contracts for older under-performing players.

THAT is why they are in a great position to go after a player like Robert and they will. If the bidding gets crazy, they will pass.

This guy may just be an over-hyped Yasiel Puig once he faces major league pitching.

Cause quite frankly s*** that happened 100 years ago has nothing to do with this current product. But if you really want to dig into how successful the Sox have been in the last 100 years(from a baseball stand point)...well ya don't.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (ptatc @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 04:09 PM)
That's seems familiar. I think you're right.

Because a number of his players were going to become free agents, because the division between Finley and said players was so deep and because Finley was cheap and wasn't going to be able to re-sign them he decided to sell them off, get what he could for them and reinvest what was huge money back into his farm system and towards signing future players.

For all his faults, Finley knew talent...he basically signed and built the three time defending World Series champions from 72-73-74.

The deals that were made (before commissioner Bowie Kuhn stepped in a nullified them) was the following:

Reggie Jackson and Ken Holtzman were traded to Baltimore a week prior to the start of the 1976 season. He got back Don Baylor, Mike Torrez and Paul Mitchell. This deal was allowed to go through by MLB.

Finley attempted to sell Joe Rudi and Rollie Fingers to the Red Sox for one million each. This was after a deal involving those two PLUS Vida Blue, Gene Tenace and Sal Bando for Fred Lynn, Carlton Fisk and a couple of throw in's fell through.

Then he tried selling Vida Blue to the Yankees for 1.5 million. Again this was after a potential deal of Blue to New York for Thurman Munson and either Roy White or Elliott Maddox fell apart.

He talked with the Rangers about selling Don Baylor, he talked with Milwaukee about a Joe Rudi for Darrell Porter deal and he tried to sell off Sal Bando by himself (The White Sox were among those interested.)

Major League Baseball commissioner Bowie Kuhn decided to invoke the rarely used "best interests of baseball" clause in order to void Finley's sales. Finley, in turn, hired famed sports attorney Neil Papiano and proceeded to file a $10 million restraint-of-trade lawsuit against Kuhn and Major League Baseball. Papiano and Finley lost the case. The court ruled that the commissioner had the authority to determine what is in the best interest of baseball.

This lawsuit is widely recognized as one of the most famous, influential and precedent-setting sports-related cases in the history of American jurisprudence.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 21, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)

I understand why MLB reviews cash purchases, I don't understand why buying essentially cap space from teams that can't use it seems unfair to some.

I'm sure many of you have been on Twitter, but I did see a tweet {I hate that word} that said some source familiar with the Roberts camp stated that he was looking at 25-29 million to sign. I have no idea how accurate this is, but it was thinking he would be asking for around 20 million.

RMR

1:07 Am I missing something with these reports of the White Sox being in on Robert? Seems like they would be less likely considering they're the only of the rumored teams to have not blown their pool amount already.

Eric A Longenhagen

1:07 They're on him and have more or less set the market at this point

link

QUOTE (beautox @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 01:45 PM)

I think that is the case

Other clubs will very much be in the mix, but the Sox do have money to spend with a minimum of Melky and Frazier coming off the books at the end of the season

Trading Robertson would ideally free up even more payroll moving forward, as would Quintana

Shields comes off the books after next season, leaving us with barely any significant contracts remaining

I see the Sox being very aggressive in the Robert bidding war

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
I think that is the case

Other clubs will very much be in the mix, but the Sox do have money to spend with a minimum of Melky and Frazier coming off the books at the end of the season

Trading Robertson would ideally free up even more payroll moving forward, as would Quintana

Shields comes off the books after next season, leaving us with barely any significant contracts remaining

Huh? The money beyond this season nothing to really do with this situation because he won't getting paid millions over the next few years. He would have to go through regular team control like every other player that comes up.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
Huh? The money beyond this season nothing to really do with this situation because he won't getting paid millions over the next few years. He would have to go through regular team control like every other player that comes up.

My point is that the team cannot "play poor" considering how the mlb payroll is set to get considerable salary relief after this season and next

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
I think that is the case

I too see the sox being super aggressive; to my knowledge they aren't linked to any of the top international prospects headlining this upcoming period, so they might as well add a "top 25" prospect in Robert and blow past the pool.

Sox are on the hook for 37.8M next year, if Shields can come back healthy and continue to show that he can be a 4/5 starter i could see the sox eating all of his remaining contract (15m by the deadline) and just transferring the buyout money (2M) for some lotto tickets.

with Quintana, Robertson, Shields, Jones and Abreu gone their payroll would rival the 2006 marlins.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
If they add Robert they will really be cooking on this rebuild.

Soxtalk's ideal rebuilding scenario:

Trade Quintana at the deadline for a Sale/Eaton esque haul of prospects

Trade Robertson and/or Jones for a nice package

Trade veterans for a decent package (Melky/Holland/Gonzalez/Frazier/Jennings/etc.)

Sign Luis Robert at nearly any cost, blow past pool

Scout and draft well at #11, #49 and #87 overall picks. Draft quality depth afterwards and upside

C - Collins

1B - ?

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - ?

LF - ?

CF - Robert

RF - ?

DH - ?

Starting 5 Possibilities: Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Fulmer, Hansen, Dunning, Stephens, Adams

Trades coming, drafts coming, free agents coming, yay.

Edited by hi8is

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
Soxtalk's ideal rebuilding scenario:

Trade Quintana at the deadline for a Sale/Eaton esque haul of prospects

Trade Robertson and/or Jones for a nice package

Trade veterans for a decent package (Melky/Holland/Gonzalez/Frazier/Jennings/etc.)

Sign Luis Robert at nearly any cost, blow past pool

Scout and draft well at #11, #49 and #87 overall picks. Draft quality depth afterwards and upside

If they meet everything else, I'd actually be content with retaining Q, since it seems uncertain if a team will offer a Sale package.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)

C - Collins

1B - ?

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - ?

LF - ?

CF - Robert

RF - ?

DH - ?

Starting 5 Possibilities: Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Fulmer, Hansen, Dunning, Stephens, Adams

Robert will be a corner guy in the bigs

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
If they meet everything else, I'd actually be content with retaining Q, since it seems uncertain if a team will offer a Sale package.

I'm open to keeping Quintana as well, but in an ideal situation we could move him for a Sale/Eaton package of prospects

Our system would be completely rebuilt within an eight month time period from being one of the weakest in baseball to one of, if not the strongest in the mlb

QUOTE (hi8is @ Apr 25, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)

C - Collins

1B - ?

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - ?

LF - ?

CF - Robert

RF - ?

DH - ?

Heck of a lineup you got there!