Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 09:57 PM)
So take a team like the Astros. 44-19, with a 12.5 game lead in the division right now. Why would they pay "maximum value" for Robertson right now? What's the rush? If you were in the Astros front office, or even a fan for that matter, would be you beating down the door to pay maximum value for a RP on another team when you hold a 12.5 game lead?

It's the same argument for the Nats, who hold a 10.5 game lead.

I'm not saying Robertson won't be moved, and of course I want to see the Sox FO get as much as they can for him. But there are circumstances surrounding the deal that make it a little more complicated than "Robertson is pitching great, they need to move him ASAP for a GREAT package..."

I suspect the Astros now will be in the market more for a starting pitcher as opposed to a relief guy with Keuchel going down...but we'll see.

Agree with the fact that the lead they have gives them time to figure things out same as Washington.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:57 PM)
So take a team like the Astros. 44-19, with a 12.5 game lead in the division right now. Why would they pay "maximum value" for Robertson right now? What's the rush? If you were in the Astros front office, or even a fan for that matter, would be you beating down the door to pay maximum value for a RP on another team when you hold a 12.5 game lead?

I'm not saying Robertson won't be moved, and of course I want to see the Sox FO get as much as they can for him. But there are circumstances surrounding the deal that make it a little more complicated than "Robertson is pitching great, they need to move him ASAP for a GREAT package..."

That is it. The big leads are allowing teams to sit on this for a while. The Nats absolutely have to trade for a closer and they know it. But they don't have to do it now. They're coasting to a division championship. It's in their best interest to wait it out and hope there are a bunch of sellers at the deadline, thus driving prices down.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 10, 2017 -> 10:57 PM)

Because everyone starts at 0-0 in the playoffs, and teams that start with large leads don't usually fare as well as teams were challenged down the stretch. A lot of #1 seeds in baseball lose early.

Nightengal has said the astros are pretty much looking for a top rotation arm and lefty reliever. Dont think they need robertson. On the other hand the nationals desperately need bullpen help and teams know that so they will ask top return for their relievers.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 12:02 PM)
I'm not arguing the value of Robertson to the Nats or Astros come October. The argument was about the value of Robertson to them on June 11.

White Sox fans want him traded right now. While I understand that, my points still stand on why that might not be as easy as it seems right now.

Because if you wait until July 31, someone can beat you to him. While it is early, teams are definitely now will to deal.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 10:02 AM)
I'm not arguing the value of Robertson to the Nats or Astros come October. The argument was about the value of Robertson to them on June 11.

White Sox fans want him traded right now. While I understand that, my points still stand on why that might not be as easy as it seems right now.

The difference with the Nats being you do not want that team to start pointing fingers at eachother because of all the blown leads. Large divisional lead or not, teams do not like blowing games out of their ass all the time.

That may cause Rizzo to move early, despite the large divisional lead.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
100%, but unfortunately that is out of the White Sox control.

Yeah, I'm not real sure what the point is here. Obviously, I cannot make anyone trade with me.

Edited by iamshack

A large lead buys you time. No need to trade now unless the price is right. Wait it out, some of these guys you are interested in you won't be interested in around the deadline. They just have to make sure they get someone, but blowing their wad now is shortsighted IMO.

The deal you could make to get a Robertson now, will more than likely be available later, and at that point, maybe he isn't pitching as well, and either the price comes down, or you want someone else.

On the other side, a guy like Frazier heating up, it could be the time for a team like Boston to make a move.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 03:04 PM)
Moustakas just hit his 16th homer, fwiw.

That said, Frazier will have a significantly lower asking price...who else needs a 3B right now?

Either one of those guys would fit well in Boston. Sandoval only at 616 ops. Obviously Todd can DH and play 1b as well.

Boston and Yankees perhaps.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 05:30 PM)
Assuming they lose this game, I really think the pressure begins to mount on Rizzo to start making acquisitions.

They have a 10 game lead with a lousy bullpen all year. Clearly, it doesn't need to be fixed for them to make the playoffs, it probably does have to be fixed for them to win in the playoffs. I don't see where the pressure starts now. Around the deadline, probably. But now, unless you get a great deal, there is no reason to move.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 04:04 PM)
Moustakas just hit his 16th homer, fwiw.

That said, Frazier will have a significantly lower asking price...who else needs a 3B right now?

Either one of those guys would fit well in Boston. Sandoval only at 616 ops. Obviously Todd can DH and play 1b as well.

I'm hoping the Royals hesitate for another month before moving into the sell mode (and obviously that the Sox act aggressively in that time). The Royals have players that would compete with both Frazier and Robertson on the trade market.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
They have a 10 game lead with a lousy bullpen all year. Clearly, it doesn't need to be fixed for them to make the playoffs, it probably does have to be fixed for them to win in the playoffs. I don't see where the pressure starts now. Around the deadline, probably. But now, unless you get a great deal, there is no reason to move.

When you are consistently losing games because of one facet of your team, it wears on you.

You don't want to position players to start pointing fingers or pressing because they are tired of leads evaporating late. You also don't want the starting pitchers throwing more innings because the manager doesn't trust the bullpen.

There actually are a lot of reasons to move.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 11, 2017 -> 06:12 PM)
When you are consistently losing games because of one facet of your team, it wears on you.

You don't want to position players to start pointing fingers or pressing because they are tired of leads evaporating late. You also don't want the starting pitchers throwing more innings because the manager doesn't trust the bullpen.

There actually are a lot of reasons to move.

It's wearing on the so horribly, they have a 10 game lead.

How to get Robles (without giving up prospects or Q)

1. Trade Robertson, Swarzak, Kahnle, Petricka, Putnam, Southpaw, Big Hurt Beer, 50% of Hawk's catchphrases and a deep dish pizza.

2. Tell Rizzo you're actually really serious.

3. No, you're not high.

4. Steal Robles.