Day Two Draft Discussion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:52 PM)
Lillian...

Thanks for acknowledging my previous input. I already posted the following comment, in the "Day One Draft" thread, in response to "bmags," who also mentioned how pleased he thought I must be:

I'm especially pleased at the underlying philosophy. You can imagine my reaction to this quote from Hostetler:

"We needed power, especially left-handed power," said Hostetler, before preparing for Day 2 of the Draft. "When you look at the pieces [general manager] Rick [Hahn] brought in through trade and what we did last year in the Draft, the middle of the order bats were important for us."

I'm obviously very happy with the picks.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 04:41 PM)
I'm going the other way. I can't imagine a water polo player, signed to Long Beach State won't go there. His scholarship is worth more than the slot money. Unless the sox go way overslot, I don't think there's much of a chance.

Teams can agree to pay for college costs in addition to any bonus money.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 05:34 PM)
Be interested to see a contest between he and Eddy Alvarez.

I worked with speed skaters and the Long Beach State water polo team at the Olympic training center in colorado springs one year. there is no contest. The water polo teams were the best fit athletes of any group at the center. Their workouts were insane. Their warmup was 5x500 yard swims with 100 sit ups and push ups between each. Then the workout started. If have never seen another group work as hard and long as that group.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 06:56 PM)
I worked with speed skaters and the Long Beach State water polo team at the Olympic training center in colorado springs one year. there is no contest. The water polo teams were the best fit athletes of any group at the center. Their workouts were insane. Their warmup was 5x500 yard swims with 100 sit ups and push ups between each. Then the workout started. If have never seen another group work as hard and long as that group.

The counter point would be that Alvarez is an Olympian.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 05:08 PM)
Man, assuming he signs Abbott's development is going to be fascinating. Hard not to actually get excited about the pick after reading that, Cummings clearly saw something special in him.

Very cool stuff. Pretty much the opposite of "that other guy" who grew up in the same area.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 06:09 PM)
I'm shocked. I guess his heart wasn't in water polo. That's a tough one to pass up.

Is it? 4 years of an Olympic sport in basic anonymity , which you have no opportunity to play beyond college, vs, approximately $160,000 and the chance to play baseball for a long time and be a multi-mega-millionaire. It may not be that tough to pass up, unless he really, really loved water polo.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:08 PM)
Man, assuming he signs Abbott's development is going to be fascinating. Hard not to actually get excited about the pick after reading that, Cummings clearly saw something special in him.

It sounds like the thing scouts dreams are made of

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 08:37 PM)
Is it? 4 years of an Olympic sport in basic anonymity , which you have no opportunity to play beyond college, vs, approximately $160,000 and the chance to play baseball for a long time and be a multi-mega-millionaire. It may not be that tough to pass up, unless he really, really loved water polo.

It is if his heart is in water polo. That is like getting a track scholarship to Oregon. It's the pinnacle of the sport. If you're just looking at money then baseball it is. Usually anyone offered a spot at Long Beach is serious about water polo though.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:31 PM)
I could see his heart being in water polo along with building his stock in baseball at college. I'm at 50/50 that he signs.

Did you read that article posted above?

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:08 PM)

Yeah, honestly, I am super excited to see how this kid does. Such a cool story and the idea of the Sox finding this kid out of no where and essentially talking him in to playing baseball is s*** movies get made about. So fascinating.