Do we see Vaughn this year?

ron883

Do we see Vaughn this year?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Do we see Vaughn this year?

• Yes
    • No

Any chance we see him up? EE has been garbage. It's possible father time has caught up to him. Do the Sox go with Collins/Yermin/Grandal the rest of the season?

It's very possible Vaughn is already a better hitter than Collins and Yerm. If the Sox are competitive by the end of the season, do they call up Vaughn or play the service time game? I selfishly want to see him play.

2 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Any chance we see him up? EE has been garbage. It's possible father time has caught up to him. Do the Sox go with Collins/Yermin/Grandal the rest of the season?

It's very possible Vaughn is already a better hitter than Collins and Yerm. If the Sox are competitive by the end of the season, do they call up Vaughn or play the service time game? I selfishly want to see him play.

Taking another shot with fly the coop thread with 0 replies with 78 views ? I would think a resounding no ! Not even voting.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

Yermin would lead the team in homers if we was up at the start.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just my own opinion, but from the few innings I saw Vaughn at first and third, I did not think he was ready to play either position at the major league level. Because of that, I think he needs to work on his defense in the Minors for a year or so. He is too young to just be a DH. His body looks like he could have made a good catcher if he wanted.

I think EE will start to hit, but this shortened season is flying by, so he has to get it going.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tray said:

Just my own opinion, but from the few innings I saw Vaughn at first and third, I did not think he was ready to play either position at the major league level. Because of that, I think he needs to work on his defense in the Minors for a year or so. He is too young to just be a DH. His body looks like he could have made a good catcher if he wanted.

I think EE will start to hit, but this shortened season is flying by, so he has to get it going.

How is he working on defense with no minor league this year? He can take fungos but overall he is too advanced to really benefit from cage work and fungos and having no minors is a lost year of development.

The good thing is he doesn't need much development and is a finished product so he should still be ready next may or so.

Don't think he is called up albeit really with a first baseman service time plays less of a role as first basemen in their late 20s are not that expensive usually.

The EE hate is too strong. This is the same guy who has hit over 30 HR every single year since 2013. Some reference for those who may need it. This was the great year where Deuente Heath and Donnie Veal pitched. Brian Omogrosso did as well. The Tank Dayan Viciedo was starting in LF. Our top Prospects were Courntney Hawkins and Trayce Thompson. Don't forget about Scott Snodgress and Keon Barnum. We won 63 games. Jeff Keppinger was our opening day 3b. 

Is he old? Yes. Has his BA declined for 5 straight years? Yes. Here's the thing - he should still be able to hit .235, OBP of .340 and have an OPS of .850 - he'll have a streak and start knocking the cover off the ball for a few weeks and regress back to the norm. 

In regards to Vaughn? No need this year. Unless Moncada or Madrigal were out for significant time - and maybeeeee try him at 3rd in a pinch, just because it gives you a nice offense profile. But outside of that EE is your man, if he continues to struggle, McCann is your man. If both die dancing for dubs, then you go to Yermin and Collins. No reason to waste a year on Vaughn when he doesn't grade out much better. Only scenario i see is something where your infield falls apart and you have to stick him at 3B to tread water for a month. Which isn't ideal. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dominikk85 said:

How is he working on defense with no minor league this year? He can take fungos but overall he is too advanced to really benefit from cage work and fungos and having no minors is a lost year of development.

The good thing is he doesn't need much development and is a finished product so he should still be ready next may or so.

He can't so I don't think  Vaughn comes up until 2022.  Frankly, I don't see how he replaces Abreu at first base for the next few years or if he  is even needed as a platoon there since he bats RH  like Abreu and Collins is the logical LH option (and may be a better first basemen, taller with more reach for throws).

Will Vaughn hit enough to be a full time DH ? I don't know.  It would be kind of strange though to have spent a high first round pick on a a DH prospect.

16 minutes ago, tray said:

He can't so I don't think  Vaughn comes up until 2022.  Frankly, I don't see how he replaces Abreu at first base for the next few years or if he  is even needed as a platoon there since he bats RH  like Abreu and Collins is the logical LH option (and may be a better first basemen, taller with more reach for throws).

Will Vaughn hit enough to be a full time DH ? I don't know.  It would be kind of strange though to have spent a high first round pick on a a DH prospect.

2022 might be fair. He would probably start in what, A-ball next season? I think he would have to mash at every level to get called up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soxfan2014 said:

2022 might be fair. He would probably start in what, A-ball next season? I think he would have to mash at every level to get called up.

There might be a decent chance he could go to AA, but really who knows? Missing this year throws everyone's schedule out of whack. Maybe he's looked good enough in Schaumburg they'd start him there and move him to AAA rapidly? I really don't know. 

48 minutes ago, tray said:

I assume they still play mock games against eachother?

2 hours ago, tray said:

If vaughn hits enough for a 1b he hits enough for a DH, on average I think 1b even hit a bit better than DH. So I'm not worried he hits enough for either position.

8 hours ago, soxfan2014 said:

Unless he gets hurt, there's ZERO chance we dont see him next year. He'd probably get called up this year if they didnt already have EE/play service time games.

But no way Reinsdorf is picking up EE's option, so we'll see Vaughn either after the service time deadline in 2021 or by June/July at the latest.

I'd love to place money against someone who thinks it will be until 2022. He'd probably be our 5th or 6th best hitter right now

Vaughn was the having the most impressive at bats in spring training and completely looked the part of a professional hitter.

I’ll say that and would be real surprised if Edwin was regulated to bench duty or DFA so soon.

• Like 1

is "less than a zero percent chance" an option?  no, he will not sniff a major league AB this year unless by some strange occurance Jose, EE, Grandal, and McCann all go down at the same time with freak injuries

"SO YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S A CHANCE"

1 hour ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Well, this certainly would be something. This might be the "surprise call-up" we heard rumors about earlier in the week?

On 8/18/2020 at 11:24 PM, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Taking another shot with fly the coop thread with 0 replies with 78 views ? I would think a resounding no ! Not even voting.

That's right Ron. If he makes it up, I'm spoon feeding you a large helping of crow

• Like 1

I can totally see the Sox giving EE enough time to see if he can get back to his normal self and start consistently hitting jacks. Just out of respect of being a vet and his career speaks for itself but if he doesn’t do it soon AV is ready to go, give this offense another masher