The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

6 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

This is baseball. A 100 win team probably has a better chance of losing to the Diamondbacks in a 5 game series than a bottom team in the NBA does of winning against a 1 seed (or a 16-1 upset in the NCAA tourney).

Is it baseball?  Goddamn I didn't know 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Perfect Vision said:

Agree with Jon here.  The MLBPA probably just presented its offer and told MLB to think it over, talk to the owners, and get back to them.  Nothing wrong with that.  I'm actually pretty encouraged with the way things are going.  Yes, it's moving slowly, but neither side is immediately running to a microphone to disparage the other side in the media, or releasing snarky press releases.

The discouraging part is that both sides have made offers that are incremental at best, with almost no progress on the gap between them. At this rate, they might find a median sometime in 2024.

4 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

In a 7 game series, I agree.  In a 3 game series legitimately anything can happen.  Its baseball.  95-100 win teams are going to lose to slightly above .500 teams regularly in the 2 vs. 7 seed three game series under this format. 

Its a stupid way to go out after grinding for 162.  Win your division or go home.  1 WC was enough.  2 was dumb but acceptable.  Anything further is just a money grab. But, such is life. 

I get it, I love the chaos and always have.    People got upset about the first wildcard and we got through it.  They said it would water down the field and unworthy teams would win the World Series.  Bring on the chaos

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I get it, I love the chaos and always have.    People got upset about the first wildcard and we got through it.  They said it would water down the field and unworthy teams would win the World Series.  Bring on the chaos

Fair enough my friend.  Its why both vanilla and chocolate exist! 

• Like 1

Expanded playoffs is just plain dumb and demeans the regular season. But, at this point, what difference does it make? We have no idea of when the players will be back on the field. Right now, no one is watching out for the best interests of the game. So, we can end the debate now. No one cares what we think anyway, and they will whatever they want include hold up the season until who knows when.

10 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

We will be lucky to play 60 games.

If that happens several owners will be in deep trouble and many players will have seen their careers come to an end.  That's what happens when you kill the golden goose.  Best for all concerned to stop posturing and get a deal done.

22 minutes ago, poppysox said:

If that happens several owners will be in deep trouble and many players will have seen their careers come to an end.  That's what happens when you kill the golden goose.  Best for all concerned to stop posturing and get a deal done.

There's no reason for optimism. The owners are probably thinking this is there chance to break the union once and for all. It's a risk they don't mind taking.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Haha 1

This is how labor negotiations go.  When enough owners or enough players let their negotiators know they want this thing settled sooner rather than later...a deal happens.  I am rather optimistic that the end is in sight.  The end of the month (February 2022) would be my guess.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

There's no reason for optimism. The owners are probably thinking this is there chance to break the union once and for all. It's a risk they don't mind taking.

If that is the case then I think this proposal by the union is a mistake.

This is the first point where I have to say “the union is being intransigent.” They have plenty of room to negotiate downwards on core matters and used none of it. Give the owners a couple million on the tax line from their last proposal, cut the arb pool from $100 million to $95 million along with the moves they made on Super-2 today, change their proposed number for revenue sharing by a million dollars, and see if the owners make any moves in reply. 

If the owners aren’t actually interested in negotiating, they wont move at all in reply. If the players inch down and the owners inch up, then eventually they will find a deal.

Frankly I’m not sure what today accomplished unless the players just needed to have a tantrum day. It made no real progress and gave the owners no reason to reply. This moves things closer to a long stalemate and closer to external mediation and stuff like that, and I’m not sure who that benefits.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Baseball just makes the rules as they go along. Sad that they don't even have a postseason plan for this season yet. Manfred is a bad commish and baseball doesn't seem to care that its fans are old and younguns don't like baseball.