Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

Hahn has honestly been telling us this was the plan since November. 

Looking back, this was my favorite Hahn quote:

“We made some improvements [with Hernandez], but there’s still a chance to potentially get better in that regard, too,” Hahn said.

The improvement was signing a guy who is worse lol

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mqr said:

I mean this is said with standard La Russa tact so it’s not good, but he’s not gonna say we don’t have the answer in-house two weeks before a season. 

You can make this comment without managing to insult your own fans with something that was painfully obvious since Vaughn and Sheets tried to play RF last year...and Leury as well.  That's called wanting to improve your team/defense and safeguard their health.  How is that not the logical position for any fan to take, regardless of team payroll?

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Minus two guys they relied on heavily while all of the OFers were out.  

To be fair, those guys were terrible in RF. I'm pretty sure they combined for a .620 OPS. The team OPS was .671 in RF. 

Vaughn, if he can stick in RF and stay healthy, would be a huge upgrade there provided he puts up his projected wRC+ of around 110. But seeing how he was absolutely awful in RF last year and just hurt himself playing defense out there, I wouldn't really count on him to be a huge positive there unless he breaks out offensively. 

What's interesting is that Vaughn's struggles last year due to his back problems started when he dove for a ball in RF against the Yankees in mid August. I think he hit something like .127 the rest of the way after that. If he's going to constantly hurt himself in RF, it's going to jeopardize his offensive development as well. 

5 minutes ago, mqr said:

I mean this is said with standard La Russa tact so it’s not good, but he’s not gonna say we don’t have the answer in-house two weeks before a season. 

Maybe don't question people's fandom just because they want the team to improve. That felt unnecessary. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

You can make this comment without managing to insult your own fans with something that was painfully obvious since Vaughn and Sheets tried to play RF last year...and Leury as well.  That's called wanting to improve your team/defense and safeguard their health.  How is that not the logical position for any fan to take, regardless of team payroll?

No I agree, it’s just the worst possible way for a manager to express a totally understandable position

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chw42 said:

To be fair, those guys were terrible in RF. I'm pretty sure they combined for a .620 OPS. The team OPS was .671 in RF. 

Vaughn, if he can stick in RF and stay healthy, would be a huge upgrade there provided he puts up his projected wRC+ of around 110. But seeing how he was absolutely awful in RF last year and just hurt himself playing defense out there, I wouldn't really count on him to be a huge positive there unless he breaks out offensively. 

What's interesting is that Vaughn's struggles last year due to his back problems started when he dove for a ball in RF against the Yankees in mid August. I think he hit something like .127 the rest of the way after that. If he's going to constantly hurt himself in RF, it's going to jeopardize his offensive development as well. 

Deep down, the front office has to be well aware of this fact, just like any casual fans who tuned in for the postseason only to wonder what was going on in RF...that's even more insulting.  It's not like LaRussa's unique team-building approach worked wonders in AZ.  He and Stewart drove that organization practically into the ground.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Deep down, the front office has to be well aware of this fact, just like any casual fans who tuned in for the postseason only to wonder what was going on in RF...

Outside of bad positioning, RF defense is probably what caused us to lose game 2 of the ALDS. Leury taking 20 turns on Correa's line drive double was definitely not what a capable defensive RFer would do. 

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Oh they sucked no doubt.  I was more making a commentary on them running it back with less OF depth and expecting everyone to magically stay healthy.  Ooops, too late already.

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Maybe don't question people's fandom just because they want the team to improve. That felt unnecessary. 

Exactly ! No reason at all to say anything negative about the fans ever. Every fan base in our position would have fans saying the same things no matter how right or irrational we've become.

10 minutes ago, chw42 said:

LaRussa's statement is laughable, something no fan can take seriously. He is showing his age again.

1 hour ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hate being in this weird limbo of being fairly certain that the Sox are going to win the AL Central and also be fairly certain that they're going to get their asses handed to them in the playoffs. It feels like the Sox are the 2011 Bulls or something. 

Keith Bogans will be the RF.

Also, this sucks cause if anything, last year's team should have been the 2011 Bulls. RF should have been Rip Hamilton. The 2012 Bulls were the #1 team in the NBA that season and could have won it all.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Quin said:

Keith Bogans will be the RF.

Also, this sucks cause if anything, last year's team should have been the 2011 Bulls. RF should have been Rip Hamilton. The 2012 Bulls were the #1 team in the NBA that season and could have won it all.

In 2012 that was when Rose got injured in the 1st round of the playoffs, right? 

• Quin locked this topic