Lenyn Sosa joins the White Sox (Update Pg. 5)

southsider2k5

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Mendick said his goal is to be ready for spring training. Surgery isn’t set yet, but it’s happening.

SOP they just don't use the 60 day IL right away same with Crochet. Maybe they always want to keep the 40 full for as long as possible before adding anyone else to it. Do you get paid more being on the 40 rather than not ?

Players on the 40-man make more money

Minor League players not on a 40-man roster are paid from April through August, while rostered players earn an extra month of salary in September whether they're promoted or not.

1 hour ago, pcq said:

People are getting worked up like this is Tatis debut. He might play a couple games and go back. 

Exactly.

It’s almost like Lou Gehrig was getting the call.

The same thing happened around the time of Owens/Fields/Wasserman/Richar/Andy Gonzalez where the system was so weak that Top Ten organizational guys get excessive amounts of attention.  There was a Latin American catcher who always was Top 5 for a number of years who never even made it.

At least we know he will be starring for the Giants, Rays, Brewers or A’s a couple of years from now.

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Exactly.

It’s almost like Lou Gehrig was getting the call.

The same thing happened around the time of Owens/Fields/Wasserman/Richar/Andy Gonzalez where the system was so weak that Top Ten organizational guys get excessive amounts of attention.

At least we know he will be starring for the Giants, Rays, Brewers or A’s a couple of years from now.

Are you really gonna pretend like we’re not all starved for a little excitement during this mostly miserable season?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah but Mendick is clearly out 60 days. Why not just put him on it? Maybe there is some insurance or something that kicks in when a guy goes on it, maybe a longer rehab assignment, I have no idea, because it seems pretty unnecessary.

Said this in the other thread but sox had no one else to add to 40 man so they didn't put him on 60 day. When eloy comes off they'll put mendick on 60 day.

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah, I don't get it at all. He should continue to develop and bring up yolbert if that's the case. 

Yes, they are replacing Mendick, not Harrison as a starter.

Makes about as much sense as thinking Sheets has things figured out now.

Of course now we are also without Robert due to ouchies/lack of hustle. Feel sorry for those families who paid good money but got this type of crap lineup.

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

Mendick said his goal is to be ready for spring training. Surgery isn’t set yet, but it’s happening.

ACL tears are no longer an automatic surgery. Most likely but not automatic.  They will probably wait until the edema goes down and do some functional testing.

Let’s all remember, Mendick is 28, 29 in September, closing in on 30 next season , Sosa, Montgomery, Garcia (because of his contract signed this year)  Torn ACL is a rough injury. It may have been his last game with the White Sox. Now, we could be stuck with Harrison for next year also. 

10 hours ago, AJ'S Cousin said:

Let’s all remember, Mendick is 28, 29 in September, closing in on 30 next season , Sosa, Montgomery, Garcia (because of his contract signed this year)  Torn ACL is a rough injury. It may have been his last game with the White Sox. Now, we could be stuck with Harrison for next year also. 

Yeah this is definitely a career altering injury for Mendick immediately following a potentially career altering month with the Sox.  Really sucks for him.  I hope what @Y2Jimmy insinuated on twitter about the Sox cutting bait with Mendick this offseason so they don't have to pay him to sit on the IL first half next season was mostly in jest (I assume it was).  Its worth noting in this instance that somehow Danny still has another option year in 2023, so he can be shuttled back and forth again once health.  I doubt the Sox will cut him.  Had he been out of options, I could see that scenario playing out. 

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Yeah this is definitely a career altering injury for Mendick immediately following a potentially career altering month with the Sox.  Really sucks for him.  I hope what @Y2Jimmy insinuated on twitter about the Sox cutting bait with Mendick this offseason so they don't have to pay him to sit on the IL first half next season was mostly in jest (I assume it was).  Its worth noting in this instance that somehow Danny still has another option year in 2023, so he can be shuttled back and forth again once health.  I doubt the Sox will cut him.  Had he been out of options, I could see that scenario playing out. 

Can they do that while injured? Or can they cut him but still have insurance pay for his medical bills?

8 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Can they do that while injured? Or can they cut him but still have insurance pay for his medical bills?

He was referring to in the offseason, not right now. They could definitely DFA/release him in the offseason.  

14 hours ago, ptatc said:

ACL tears are no longer an automatic surgery. Most likely but not automatic.  They will probably wait until the edema goes down and do some functional testing.

How is an enema supposed to help with an ACL?!? THIS TRAINING STAFF HAS NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING!!!!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He was referring to in the offseason, not right now. They could definitely DFA/release him in the offseason.  

Didn't know they could do that while injured, especially if they had surgery. Rehab continues year round.

51 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Didn't know they could do that while injured, especially if they had surgery. Rehab continues year round.

Yea, I don't want to admit this as he was playing well, and was currently very popular, but when he first went down I figured he earned himself a wage for next season... when it had to be far from guaranteed.  I doubt they cut him this winter, not even positive that they can, but they should.  

19 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Yea, I don't want to admit this as he was playing well, and was currently very popular, but when he first went down I figured he earned himself a wage for next season... when it had to be far from guaranteed.  I doubt they cut him this winter, not even positive that they can, but they should.  

They definitely can.  THere is no IL in the offseason.  They've done similar things with with Ryan Burr and Luis Gonzalez when injured in previous season.  They actually just did it again with Burr a week or two ago when he was on the 40 man and MLB IL. 

I don't think they will or should do this with Mendick, but its definitely within the rules.