JR

WBWSF

As Greg always points out, very few fans anymore get all that excited about playing AL Central Division opponents.

The recent Twins games, arguably the most important series of the season, low 20ks and the big victory Wed afternoon just 18,000+.

Not to mention we’re not playing well at home and 2-9 against CLE and MIN anyway.

Fans vote with their feet.  They didn’t like much about the offseason and they’re far from convinced this team will be a contender in the second half.

12 hours ago, ron883 said:

Has Jerry ever really cared about winning? He cares about making money and employing his loved ones much more. He'd rather lose than fire his good buddy TLR.

This contradicts the Jerry I saw bawling at LaSalle and Wacker when Konerko handed him the WS game winning ball in 2005.  Short memory?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stinky Stanky said:

This contradicts the Jerry I saw bawling at LaSalle and Wacker when Konerko handed him the WS game winning ball in 2005.  Short memory?  

Anecdotal memory does not cancel out 50 years of bullshit

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

This is an owner who would probably still have Gar Forman and John Paxson leading the Bulls FO if he hadn't handed team control over to his son, Michael.  As bad as TLR has been, the GarPax Bulls tenure makes Tony's performance seem impressive in comparison.

I mean, considering the team Tony was gifted and the first half of the GarPax tenure, hard disagree.

TLR was given a supposed-World Series contender. Pax built the Baby Bulls and GarPax gave us the Rose-Noah-Thibs era and the Jimmy/Rose/Pau team that should have taken out the Cavs.

The collapse started with the Three Alphas. Then it absolutely cratered.

44 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Anecdotal memory does not cancel out 50 years of bullshit

I didn't say he wasn't a sentimental old guy who doesn't know how to talk to people.  And I don't ignore the bullshit and there was plenty of that.  But neither can you dismiss the facts which don't support your fixed idea.

Edited by Stinky Stanky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mmmmmbeeer said:

This is an owner who would probably still have Gar Forman and John Paxson leading the Bulls FO if he hadn't handed team control over to his son, Michael.  As bad as TLR has been, the GarPax Bulls tenure makes Tony's performance seem impressive in comparison.

Gar/Pax sucked, but at least they left with a winning record and playoff successes.

Hahn will likely have neither over his decade (2013-2022). Tony will likely have no playoff success and at the rate the team is playing, may not even finish his White Sox career over .500 (He finishes under .500 if the Sox go 71-91, the next two seasons).

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

Most teams are down attendance wise. Inflation, gas prices are brutal. I've never seen anything like this in my life. I'm under the impression that alot of people are living on their credit cards. White Sox are going to draw between 1.8 million-2 million which isn't bad considering everything.

Cub fans bailed on the team after the trades last season, drawing 20-24K most games (their lowest in years, if not decades), but are up to 32.6K this season.

The Sox are down 17.7% vs. last year's unrestricted attendance numbers (28,367 vs. 23,370), and this is due to poor performance of the team, manager and FO.

• Sox 2021 Attendance - COVID restrictions (April-June 16): 453,877 or 12,267 average over 37 dates (includes 2 single attendance DHs).
  • Sox 2021 Attendance - No COVID restrictions (June 25-Oct 3): 1,134,676 or 28,367 average over 40 dates (1 DH, excludes Iowa game).
  • Sox 2022 Attendance 972,943 or 23,370 over 41 dates (No Home DHs).
  • Sox 2019 Attendance 1,629,636 or 21,442 over 76 dates while Tanking.

The Sox are on pace to draw 1,892,970, though I expect that to drop to the 1.7M-1.8M range if they drop out of contention. It could increase if the Sox are somehow able to turn things around over the next few weeks and sustain winning through the rest of the season.

Jerry spent $200M this offseason based on expectations of higher attendance than the unrestricted 28,367 average of last year. If the Sox finish with 18-20% lower attendance this season, Jerry will not sustain another $200M payroll for 2023, and will ask Hahn to sell off pieces to get to the budget number based on projected 2023 revenue.

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

As Greg always points out, very few fans anymore get all that excited about playing AL Central Division opponents.

The recent Twins games, arguably the most important series of the season, low 20ks and the big victory Wed afternoon just 18,000+.

Not to mention we’re not playing well at home and 2-9 against CLE and MIN anyway.

Fans vote with their feet.  They didn’t like much about the offseason and they’re far from convinced this team will be a contender in the second half.

The fans feel like most of us here, this isn't a likeable team that doesn't hustle much, makes a lot of errors, doesn't work the count with too many Ks and too few walks, make stupid mistakes on the base paths and on top of it all has a manager who is brain dead. White Sox fans are so much smarter than the Cub fans and will not throw hard earned money at a team that most of the time looks like it doesn't care and is just going through the motions. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2

I think changes are coming including letting LaRussa go. JR will try to find a dignified way to do it, like offering LaRussa some type of executive position in the organization.   After that, unless a few key players and relievers  are added, this team does not appear to have the talent to win the Division. RF is a black hole and the bullpen is just awful.

1 hour ago, tray said:

I think changes are coming including letting LaRussa go. JR will try to find a dignified way to do it, like offering LaRussa some type of executive position in the organization.   After that, unless a few key players and relievers  are added, this team does not appear to have the talent to win the Division. RF is a black hole and the bullpen is just awful.

As long as you wall him off completely from personnel decisions...or they will end up with another set of DBacks trades for ex Cardinals.

4 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

17 years seems like a lifetime ago, honestly.

17 years is a long time, and the Sox have won a grand total of three post season games since then. And, of course, they lost every post season series since then. 2025 is just around the corner, and it will be 20 years since this team has appeared in a World Series. And JR and the same front office will still be running the team and they still will be making the same mistakes. But he'll tell you he really wants to win.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tray said:

But is this even a good thing? Ok, so he can't make bad bullpen decisions in game or whatever, but I still don't want him deciding the direction of the organization. That's how we ended up with a Leury Garcia extension in the first place.

The ultimate goal is to NOT have that.

3 hours ago, Highland said:

17 years is a long time, and the Sox have won a grand total of three post season games since then. And, of course, they lost every post season series since then. 2025 is just around the corner, and it will be 20 years since this team has appeared in a World Series. And JR and the same front office will still be running the team and they still will be making the same mistakes. But he'll tell you he really wants to win.

This is Jerry Reinsdorf’s 42nd (!) year as owner of the White Sox.

In his first 41 years, there’s only been ONE year when his White Sox team won a postseason series - 2005.

In the 40 other years with him at the helm, there has not only been NO postseason series victories, but a mere SIX postseason appearances and a mere SIX playoff game victories.  

If that doesn’t scream UTTER FUTILITY, I don’t know what does.  

Not to mention, but the four plus decades of his *ahem* leadership has included one mind-boggingly, boneheaded, franchise-crippling decision after another.  Put the current LaRussa debacle as the latest in that series.  

Luckily for the fan base, we are in the twilight of the current ownership, and if you look hard enough at the horizon, you can see new ownership that will likely come in, clean house, and hopefully change this culture of losing we have suffered under with Reinsdorf for way too long.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, HoosierSox said:

Does the fact that the Bulls cleaned house and went outside of the organization to find replacements and have done well give us any hope it will be done with the Sox or is that because his son Michael is running the Bulls?

This offseason proves that Jerry is still pulling at least some strings there. 

1 hour ago, HoosierSox said:

Does the fact that the Bulls cleaned house and went outside of the organization to find replacements and have done well give us any hope it will be done with the Sox or is that because his son Michael is running the Bulls?

Bulls seem to be operating with the same self-imposed restraints as the last regime, so we honestly don't know.  Bulls are a more competitive team that looks competent sometimes, but is hardly a contender.  Same could probably be said about the Sox if they had hired anyone other than TLR.

25 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I can and have lived through decades of failure. It’s part and parcel of being a White Sox fan.

What I cannot stand is those repulsive 1983 uniforms. Every single player should cut up every single version ever placed in their locker.

Why they keep trotting those ugly's drives me insane as I'm not insane enough as I've been following this team since 1952.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, southsideirish71 said:

18 fucking million dollars. We could have a draft pick or this guy in our rotation.  This was a dumb cheap stupid decision. Thanks JR.

What an absolute disaster this offseason was. Embarrassing.