Rumor: Sox Pursuing Jose Quintana

Chicago White Sox

Just now, fathom said:

Not as bad as Happ for Colas, Burke and Sheets

No doubt, but giving up a guy who can probably be a quality DH for the next six years and a fairly interesting arm for a dude who signed for $3M or so this off-season and wouldn’t have a role in a playoff rotation is the definition of insanity and further reflection of Hahn’s failures this off-season.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I'd hate just Burger for Q.  Gross.  

Why? There is literally nowhere for Jake Burger to play on this team unless you are just keeping him around for injury insurance.

What else could Burger fetch in a trade that helps this team? He's basically a DH only.

EDIT: I would rather trade Burger for Q straight up than prospects for Q if that was the options.

Edited by T R U
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, T R U said:

Why? There is literally nowhere for Jake Burger to play on this team unless you are just keeping him around for injury insurance.

What else could Burger fetch in a trade that helps this team? He's basically a DH only.

EDIT: I would rather trade Burger for Q straight up than prospects for Q if that was the options.

Burger is a nice guy to have off the bench, but I'd love to see him get a shot at regular playing time somewhere like Pit after all he's been through. 

37 minutes ago, T R U said:

Count me in this camp.  Burger is so limited defensively, and double blocked at pretty much any position he could play for the Sox, that he is the exact type of piece I would love to see them use for a trade, versus someone else who could actually help the team in the next few years.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Count me in this camp.  Burger is so limited defensively, and double blocked at pretty much any position he could play for the Sox, that he is the exact type of piece I would love to see them use for a trade, versus someone else who could actually help the team in the next few years.

If other teams see value in Burger and Sheets, by all means ship them out. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

I haven't looked at Q's stats lately, but is he any good still?  If these are the prices being sought, Pitt seems to be vastly overvaluing him IMO.

Having his best season in quite some time

2 hours ago, T R U said:

I am not married to Burger at all.  I would certainly trade him in the right deal.  But he's very useful injury insurance and he has another option in 2023.  

Trading him for 8 Quintana starts doesn't make any sense.  

Edited by ChiSox59

Maybe it's too small of a sample size to say for sure, but I think Quintana may have been a pitcher disproportionately affected by the juiced ball. Pre 2017 he always had excellent HR suppression skills, the juiced ball arrives and suddenly he has an extreme HR problem. Now he's back to having a HR/FB rate significantly lower than league average and he looks like a very good pitcher again. Seemingly nothing else in his profile has changed that much since the Sox traded him away. I like him as a trade target but definitely wouldn't give up the asking price mentioned in The Athletic.

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

I haven't looked at Q's stats lately, but is he any good still?  If these are the prices being sought, Pitt seems to be vastly overvaluing him IMO.

So far this year he's been 2012-2016 Q. The question is how sustainable do you think that performance is going forward.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

So far this year he's been 2012-2016 Q. The question is how sustainable do you think that performance is going forward.

That makes the ask more sensible no doubt.  How long its sustainable especially in a playoff hunt is indeed the question.

7 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Fegan and the Pirates Athletic guy mull over a Quintana trade.

But I like Mena a lot. 😥

Don't worry about it.  Hahn has never been burned by throwing in an unnecessary sweetener in a deal.

If the price is low, I think adding Quintana is a good thing.  He's having a nice year, and he'd give the Sox another arm to use as we head (hopefully) toward the playoffs.  Kopech is most likely inning limited, Giolito has been iffy, and Lynn is probably still not 100%.  You don't necessarily want to plan on a starting pitcher going on the IL, but if (when) one of them does, we're running out of time, and we can't have any throwaway games.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wegner said:

Did the Sox pursue Q in the off season at all instead of settling for Velasquez?

Not that I’m aware of, but we are paying VV more than the Pirates are paying Quintana.  It’s possible that Jose felt his opportunity to start games was better in Pittsburgh though.

• Like 1