Trade Rumors Catch-all

Chicago White Sox

45 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Who has this regime ever acquired during the deadline that helped the team win that year? They did get Contreras in 2004, but he helped in 2005. I supposed 1 AB puts Blum in the green, but other than that.....................The last big impact trade deadline bat I remember was Charles Johnson, who was awesome for the Sox in 2000, but that was Schueler.

Sox got Freddy and Contreras before the 2004 deadline. I know this doesn't answer your question but damn, that was such a huge deadline for the eventual world series team.

51 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Or maybe the window is closed, and they should consider a major re-tool around the players that have value to other teams? 

Trade Cueto, Abreu, Graveman, Lopez in seller moves. 

Trade Vaughn in a baseball trade

Use what's left of the farm after good prospects are made unavailable (Montgomery, Colas, Vera, Mena, etc) to add guys with team control past this year, but not necessarily big names. 

I believe the window is closed for now, but can be re-opened in 2023 if Hahn can push the right buttons. 

I'm perfectly good with moving Cueto, Abreu, Graveman and Lopez. Also move Burger out as well.

I wouldn't move Vaughn though. He's the 1B of the future and has 4.5 years of control left.

I dont think we will have a 1B/DH logjam after this year. Vaughn will be the 1B and Jimenez the DH.

Colas can slide into RF next year so we won't have statues playing there anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

LaRussa played a big role in the Kelly and Velasquez signings. Hopefully they are still listening to his suggestions, but have learned to fade him, knowing who not to acquire. 

If they dump them then it means order has been restored in terms of the line of authority.

41 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I know you somehow think the Sox can keep making the playoffs beyond 2023 but they are barely in contention for the playoff now in a weak division and have been playing .500 for a year.. So excuse me if I think the best opportunity is to win now or in 2023.

If you're happy with .500 for the next 5+ years no skin off my nose .

Actually that is not what I said in any my posts. I actually think the Sox will not make the playoffs in 2022. However the window isn't closed for 2023 and 2024 and beyond. They do not have to be a .500 team over the next five years. That doesn't mean the Sox can't retool the team and go for it again in 2023 or 2024. Even if the Sox did sneak into the playoffs this year, they are not good enough to go far and for sure not compete for a world series championship. As a result, since we are not good enough to win right now, the Sox should take a slight step back and not give away any valuable future prospects at the deadline, for a player or two that will not help us win this year. Actually if anything, the Sox should be sellers and dump salaries and get back some prospects. Then in 2023 and 2024 the Sox with a much lower payroll, can go aggressively in the FA market to add talent. We still have some good talent here, along with either key trades or signing some free agents to get it strong again. 

There are too many holes on this team and if you think adding Happ, or another player, with the serious flaws of this starting rotation, horrible bullpen and underperforming and inconsistent offense, which lacks power and plate discipline is capable of wining the world series this year, then you are not being realistic or logical. As painful and frustrating as it, Sox fans need be realistic and not have their fandom blinders on.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

5 hours ago, chw42 said:

I don't think any Sox fans would. I like Happ, but with what Colas has done since his AA promotion, he's probably off the table unless the trade is for Reynolds. Happ is a nice player, but I don't think he moves the needle enough to warrant trading Colas. 

Agreed. Im a Sox supporter to of course (I’m here) and don’t want Montgomery, Colas, or Vera moved for anyone that isn’t a star. 

I love Happ as a player and a personality but he would’ve been a non tender candidate last year if the cubs were close to the tax. Reynolds is a much better version of Happ

5 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Actually that is not what I said in any my posts. I actually think the Sox will not make the playoffs in 2022. However the window isn't closed for 2023 and 2024 and beyond. They do not have to be a .500 team over the next five years. That doesn't mean the Sox can't retool the team and go for it again in 2023 or 2024. Even if the Sox did sneak into the playoffs this year, they are not good enough to go far and for sure not compete for a world series championship. As a result, since we are not good enough to win right now, the Sox should take a slight step back and not give away any valuable future prospects at the deadline, for a player or two that will not help us win this year. Actually if anything, the Sox should be sellers and dump salaries and get back some prospects. Then in 2023 and 2024 the Sox with a much lower payroll, can go aggressively in the FA market to add talent. We still have some good talent here, along with either key trades or signing some free agents to get it strong again. 

There are too many holes on this team and if you think adding Happ, or another player, with the serious flaws of this starting rotation, horrible bullpen and underperforming and inconsistent offense, which lacks power and plate discipline is capable of wining the world series this year, then you are not being realistic or logical. As painful and frustrating as it, Sox fans need be realistic and not have their fandom blinders on.

Preach. 

27 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

I'm perfectly good with moving Cueto, Abreu, Graveman and Lopez. Also move Burger out as well.

I wouldn't move Vaughn though. He's the 1B of the future and has 4.5 years of control left.

I dont think we will have a 1B/DH logjam after this year. Vaughn will be the 1B and Jimenez the DH.

Colas can slide into RF next year so we won't have statues playing there anymore. 

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd actually keep Burger as the 1B rather than Vaughn because I don't think Vaughn has enough power for the position nor walks enough. Burger doesn't walk either, but at least he destroys baseballs. Vaughn also has more value to other teams. Both kinda suck against RHP too. Vaughn is a really good hitter but I don't know if he ever hits more than 25 HR. I see him as a 16-22 HR type guy that hits .280, with most of his damage coming against LHP. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd actually keep Burger as the 1B rather than Vaughn because I don't think Vaughn has enough power for the position nor walks enough. Burger doesn't walk either, but at least he destroys baseballs. Vaughn also has more value to other teams. Both kinda suck against RHP too. Vaughn is a really good hitter but I don't know if he ever hits more than 25 HR. I see him as a 16-22 HR type guy that hits .280, with most of his damage coming against LHP. 

Vaughn is 91st percent tile in average exit velo, 93rd percent tile in hard hit rate (% of batted balls above 95 MPH) and 77th percent tile in max EV. There are players who will hit 35+ HR's this year with worse quality of contact than AV. The reason he isn't hitting for more in game power is because he's using an all field approach that the Sox seemingly instilled in him, but the ability is unquestionably there for him to be an impact power bat.

• Fire 2

52 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Vaughn has 120 wRC+ against RHP in 2022.  Stop with the non sense.  

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

What is his wRC+ vs RHP since June 1? 

I don't care.  I'll take the larger sample.  You can focus on whatever fits your narrative, but your narrative is stupid.  Vaughn is an awesome bat.  

• Like 5

Entering the off-season I had three high-level goals I was hoping the White Sox would address:

1. Replace Carlos Rodon with the best long-term starting pitching free agent we can afford
  2. Add much needed balance to the lineup while enhancing the defense where possible
  3. Improve the right side of our bullpen while also ensuring we have some starting depth

Hahn legit failed on 2 1/2 half of these.  Hahn refused to invest in a long-term starter even though there were several available at reasonable terms (I really wanted us to pursue Gausman).  The only SP depth he had added prior to the Lynn injury was a guy who had put up a total of 1.0 fWAR over his previous 245 innings.  Hahn did add some bullpen help from the right side, but paid top of market prices and signed one guy who was already injured and was expected to miss significant time.

On the positional side, Hahn refused to add much needed LH power.  Instead, his primary addition was a 34 year OF unable to play RF (negating some of the value even if the bat met expectations).  Beyond that, Hahn brought back Leury Garcia on a three year deal and then paired him with RH hitting Josh Harrison to form a poorly constructed 2B platoon.  Reese McGuire was added and is technically a lefty, but can’t hit RHP.  At least he’s a quality defensive catcher.

And here we are a half year later and look at what we’re talking about adding.  We still need starting pitching, we still need more bullpen help, and we still need reinforcements against tough RHP.  We also have a glut of 1B/DH types that we’re forced to play out of position way too frequently.  The frustrating part is we will either overpay to address these same needs or go into the stretch run with obvious short-comings.  Hahn really fucked up this off-season.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Entering the off-season I had three high-level goals I was hoping the White Sox would address:

1. Replace Carlos Rodon with the best long-term starting pitching free agent we can afford
  2. Add much needed balance to the lineup while enhancing the defense where possible
  3. Improve the right side of our bullpen while also ensuring we have some starting depth

Hahn legit failed on 2 1/2 half of these.  Hahn refused to invest in a long-term starter even though there were several available at reasonable terms (I really wanted us to pursue Gausman).  The only SP depth he had added prior to the Lynn injury was a guy who had put up a total of 1.0 fWAR over his previous 245 innings.  Hahn did add some bullpen help from the right side, but paid top of market prices and signed one guy who was already injured and was expected to miss significant time.

On the positional side, Hahn refused to add much needed LH power.  Instead, his primary addition was a 34 year OF unable to play RF (negating some of the value even if the bat met expectations).  Beyond that, Hahn brought back Leury Garcia on a three year deal and then paired him with RH hitting Josh Harrison to form a poorly constructed 2B platoon.  Reese McGuire was added and is technically a lefty, but can’t hit RHP.  At least he’s a quality defensive catcher.

And here we are a half year later and look at what we’re talking about adding.  We still need starting pitching, we still need more bullpen help, and we still need reinforcements against tough RHP.  We also have a glut of 1B/DH types that we’re forced to play out of position way too frequently.  The frustrating part is we will either overpay to address these same needs or go into the stretch run with obvious short-comings.  Hahn really fucked up this off-season.

It is very frustrating to me that from what I know they did not try at all to pursue Gausman.  He seemed to be a terrific fit.   And the contract he got is one that should be very doable for this team.  Just dumb.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wegner said:

It is very frustrating to me that from what I know they did not try at all to pursue Gausman.  He seemed to be a terrific fit.   And the contract he got is one that should be very doable for this team.  Just dumb.

And it’s not like we’re loaded with long-term pitching.  If Giolito was unwilling to sign an extension, then we should have pursued a different veteran on a multi-year deal.  I’d feel much better about the next three years if we had a guy like Gausman in the two slot of our rotation between Cease & Kopech.

• Love 1

22 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

And it’s not like we’re loaded with long-term pitching.  If Giolito was unwilling to sign an extension, then we should have pursued a different veteran on a multi-year deal.  I’d feel much better about the next three years if we had a guy like Gausman in the two slot of our rotation between Cease & Kopech.

Hard to sign those types of players when your owner won't open the checkbook to get it done. Gausman's agent isn't going to listen to a 3/$50 offer when the well run teams are willing to meet what they are looking for.

1 minute ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Hard to sign those types of players when your owner won't open the checkbook to get it done. Gausman's agent isn't going to listen to a 3/$50 offer when the well run teams are willing to meet what they are looking for.

Gausman got less than what we offered Wheeler, so we were willing to pay market for a similar arm not too long ago.  I think Reinsdorf would have been ok with a such a move, Hahn just prioritized other less important things.