White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread

southsider2k5

4 hours ago, poppysox said:

Most of us feel this way.  It's a shame Ozzie is his own worst enemy.  Between his ego and his kids...enough is enough.

Same came be said for another Chicago coach to whom I'm thankful for bringing a NFL championship in 1985.  Much like Ozzie minus the kids, Ditka certainly wore out his welcome as much as Ozzie.  It is a shame.

• Like 1

By hiring Willie Harris, JR would get to keep Daryl Boston and most of his gang. This would be a typical Sox move and IMO set them back years. I would just prefer someone with no connection what so ever with the Sox. That may limit their choices, but it's what this team needs.

Then again I could be totally wrong on Willie, mainly because this team had swag before a certain manager was forced on the team and if they could recapture that this team could be dangerous. If Willie brings swag, it could set this team on fire.  Not sure they would be able to play good defense, but they'd be fun to watch.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, TheBooneLoganEra said:

Yeah no.....hard pass. Save the swag until you win something. Until then put your head down and run.

Win something?.... Willie Harris scored the winning run for the Chicago White Sox in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series, is from the same hometown as Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson.

16 hours ago, joejoesox said:

The CHGO podcast had one of the Sox beat guys on and he said the finalists are R. Washington, B. Bochy and Mike Schildt

doesn't mean they won't hire him but I guess those 3 guys are a higher priority 

I don't believe that is what they said.  If I recall correctly the report was that they were the favorites, not the finalists.  

Shortly after that report Bochy said the Sox had not even contacted him yet.  

11 hours ago, A-Train to 35th said:

Win something?.... Willie Harris scored the winning run for the Chicago White Sox in Game 4 of the 2005 World Series, is from the same hometown as Hall of Famer Jackie Robinson.

I thought it was obvious I was talking about the organization in general. We don't need someone bringing "swag" we need someone who can gets these clowns to work hard and earn that swagger. I love Willie, but he's not the guy and that's not that attitude we need. If anything we need some humility. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wish we could be a fly on the wall in these interviews. I'd give the job to the most honest and prepared guy. Meaning, don't give me corporate speak. Give me - hey I prepared, went back and watched 50 hours of tape and I don't like the way so and so are squaring up on the ball. Or I'd tell them to keep their hands in, or they need to be more aggressive on first pitch, etc. etc. I'd want to hear an actual approach of what they think can be improved and also who they  call out. we all know who to call out. I said many times this year this team goes as Moncada and Yaz do. I think that again is they key next year. 

I'd also want them to come in with a plan as if they were GM. Say hey, I'd go out there aggressive on _____ and then shift this person here. blah blah blah. 

For me? I've been in the Ozzie camp. I think he's matured being away from the game. Seen the game from a different perspective, familiar w/ the White Sox politics, but also has enough pull that he doesn't need to be a puppet. Bochy would be fine ... dont necessarily think we should punish someone like him because TLR was so bad and old. Same with Ron Washington. He's old, but guess what, you never hear a bad thing about the guy from his players. He's obviously had some run-ins personally, but you always hear great things from the players. So those would be my 3. 

I wouldn't mind someone like Willie as a bench coach. I'd be fine with Cairo as a bench coach depending on how honest he was in an interview. aka, is he willing to be critical of TLR? If he's not willing to standup and admit that knowing that TLR gave him a job ... then he's not the guy to be with this team because he's not critical enough to make the necessary changes. 

2 hours ago, greg775 said:

I'd take a chance on Maddon or Ron Washington. Those are my two. Maddon can't go from a genius to awful in a handful of years. Washington seems to be beloved by all.

I think Madden just made awful decisions for the Cub's in 2016, but despite Madden they won mainly because Jason Heyward delivered a motiving speech during a well timed rain delay.

Ron Washington I'm not so sure about, he had his chances with Texas in 2010 and 2011 and didn't deliver a World Series so why trust him with the Sox.  Besides he look's almost as old as TLR.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ScooterMcGuire said:

These boys have zero swag. Sorry Willie.

I totally agree with you they do not have swag and haven't had it the last two years. I do however remember a Sox team having fun and swagger in the 2022 shortened season. Unfortunately it was stripped from them with the horrific managing job and toxic culture that TLR brought to this team.

On 10/13/2022 at 8:27 AM, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sounds like Espada hit it out of the park

I would be very happy with a younger manager (47 yrs old) that's into more modern baseball thinking and analytics like Espada and who has been part of a highly successful winning organization. 

• Like 1

Espada is going to be managing next season. I’d be surprised if he’s not in Miami, but the Sox would make sense too. 

If it’s a manager with big league experience, I’m rooting for Shildt to get another opportunity. He was successful and came from an organization that preaches fundamentals.

39 minutes ago, The Kids Can Play said:

toxic culture that TLR brought to this team.

I don't think the locker room was toxic. He just let the guys be guys. It didn't seem like he did anything. The fans were toxic but the players all seemed to get along fine. 

12 hours ago, flavum said:

Espada is going to be managing next season. I’d be surprised if he’s not in Miami, but the Sox would make sense too. 

If it’s a manager with big league experience, I’m rooting for Shildt to get another opportunity. He was successful and came from an organization that preaches fundamentals.

That’s the thing though 

• bmags changed the title to Pedro Grifol to be named White Sox manager - Olney; Katz asked to return per Rosey
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to White Sox Mgr Speculation Thread
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked this topic
  • southsider2k5 unpinned this topic