Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

I want to give s%*# to the Sox for this move, but I find it hard to.

Look at it this way, it’s hard to see this deal being in the negative value. Even if he’s averages 2 WAR during his age 28-33 seasons, this is still a fair value deal. He was a 5 WAR player back in 2018 and coming off a 3 WAR season, I could see him being an above average player if he’s healthy again and take advantage of hitting at GRF.

Only reason to hate on this move is this isn’t a move that would put them over the top, but at this point no single move would. Let’s just hope we can get another bat at 2B and round out the team.

• Like 3
  • Hawk 1

1 minute ago, Highland said:

They needed an outfielder and got one. Anyone is a lot better than Vaughn out there looking for the center fielder to get everything. Looks like a good move to me.

I mean, if this means there are no more DHs in the outfield, then I'll get stoked enough. First, you gotta get yourself untied from the chair before you escape from the basement

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

How does Gleyber address the need for left handed power?

I'll hang up and listen.

The Sox have to pay Grandal in 2023 regardless. Why use your biggest trade chip to get another catcher when there is still a big hole at 2B? Like I said, I’m not even a big Gleyber guy but turning Hendriks into Jansen would be disappointing considering the Sox already have Grandal and 2 backup options there.

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

They're not getting it from 2B. 

Exactly. Any power at all would be a blessing. Don’t give a s%*# about making things less deficient, at some point real gains need to be made.

Luckily Carlos Perez will show up in April and have a legit shot at 25 HRs

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I mean, if this means there are no more DHs in the outfield, then I'll get stoked enough. First, you gotta get yourself untied from the chair before you escape from the basement

Sheets will play the OF at some point in 2023 IMO. 

There's also the possibility that Colas sucks. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

It's half schtick and half legit PTSD. 

When was the last time the Sox signed someone that didn't completely suck or get injured at some point during their contract? 

Grandal was great for his first 2 seasons, but fell off a cliff in his 3rd. 

Murphy's law rules the White Sox. 

It is really crappy to joke about PTSD with all of the legitimate cases of it out there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they signed Bryce Harper in 2019 that would have been a legit good move. 

But we all know the Sox don't make mega deals like this. This signing is more like it. They spend some money, get a decent player and hope for the best. They filled a hole. Now we have to hope Eloy and Robert can stay off the IL, and that is not a given. 

2 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

The Sox have to pay Grandal in 2023 regardless. Why use your biggest trade chip to get another catcher when there is still a big hole at 2B? Like I said, I’m not even a big Gleyber guy but turning Hendriks into Jansen would be disappointing considering the Sox already have Grandal and 2 backup options there.

Because what if they’re determined they don’t want him around anymore?  

Just now, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Sheets with an occasional start would not be the end of the world. The 2005 Sox survived with Ross Gload in the OF on Sundays.

Problem is the occasional start ends up being 4 games a week for the Sox.  We’ve seen this so often the last few years.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It is very hard to imagine them just eating $18 million unless they can find a taker for him.

Naw Jerry is fine for eating it for one year. It’s if it theoretically could happen in 10 years that he has to destroy the franchise over. 

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It is very hard to imagine them just eating $18 million unless they can find a taker for him.

Narvaez is coming off a terrible season and just signed for 1 year 8M with a player option for year 2. 15M guaranteed if he wants it.

There would definitely be a trade market for Grandal if the Sox were willing to eat a few mil.

• Love 1

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Sheets will play the OF at some point in 2023 IMO. 

There's also the possibility that Colas sucks. 

Assuming that Colas actually starts the season and we have 2 LH corner OF’ers I don’t see why he’d be needed for anything other than an odd handful of innings. In fact, if we get the 4th OF’er we need I think it could be tough for Sheets to even make the 26. 

1 minute ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Yep it just takes one to go down and you have Eloy/Sheets roaming the outfield again 

the most important undiscussed topic regarding the sox next year: how good the training staff is at their jobs and if they can get the players to listen to them

• Like 1