Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M

Chicago White Sox

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Jesse Rogers: Sox Sign Benintendi - 5yr / $75M
Just now, Polar Bear said:

$15m/ year for a guy who just hit 5 HR playing in part in the best park for lefties is a damn joke.

This team needs power not to be handing out 5 year deals for someone with less power than me, it's embarrassing 

Relax, he played 16 games in Yankee stadium. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just now, chw42 said:

Haniger got 3 and $44 million, but he's also 3 years older. I think Benintendi is also a much better fit for the team than Haniger. 

The deal is absolutely fair in this market and the 5 year commitment isn't that big of a deal for a guy that's only 28. 

I don't think you can justify this contract making sense for Benny vs paying Gallo an extra mil or 2 to land him on a 1 year deal. That's just putting far too much weight on what happened in 2022. Like you said earlier in this thread, the Sox could have gotten Benny  essentially for free when he was traded to KC but they passed on it because he was coming off a down season.

With that said, the Benny contract is fine. He's a solid player and fills a need. I don't think it's the most efficient use of money, but whatever. I'd still rather have him on this contract than go bargain basement shopping for outfielders again.

• Like 1
  • Hawk 1

I like it.  Finally have a real left fielder.  He’ll be a nice 2-hole hitter.  Okay power.  Lefty hitter.  The 5th year is meh, but that’s probably what got him signed here.  Honestly, the majority of this board would be pissed if the Astros or Yankees signed him for this deal.

• Like 4
  • Fire 1

29 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

10D is so meh. 

This is a chicken little move. Taking the floor over the ceiling, while the Twins took the ceiling over the floor. 

What - Gallo is straight trash.  Such a flawed player. You can tell me its okay his power will bounce back but Andrew is coming off multiple solid seasons and is just a good / solid all around player. Is he a superstar, no, but he's a good player, a quality hitter, a good baserunner, has speed, etc.  He's just a flat out solid all around ball player.  

So much better than what the Twins did.  

• Like 6
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, Chisoxfn said:

What - Gallo is straight trash.  Such a flawed player. You can tell me its okay his power will bounce back but Andrew is coming off multiple solid seasons and is just a good / solid all around player. Is he a superstar, no, but he's a good player, a quality hitter, a good baserunner, has speed, etc.  He's just a flat out solid all around ball player.  

So much better than what the Twins did.  

I'm pretty sure I saw Twins fans lamenting the Twins for being cheap and not signing Benintendi for a few extra million per year. The grass is always greener on the other side, I guess. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Yet many fans want one of the worst hitters to ever play at that stadium (Gallo)

I have not read this thread but anyone not liking this deal is not paying attention to anything.  The White Sox do not need power.  They need their power hitters to hit with power and above average hitters.

The whole offseason means nothing if Anderson, Moncada, Eloy, Grandal and Robert all s%*# the bed again. 

• Like 10

Reading all the negative comments about the Team management and our players makes me wonder where folks get their information and what stats do they use. Plus   We are led to believe that absolutely no one wants to play for the Sox. The unbridled negativity is truly stunning. Now we have posters making positive comments about Benitendi who hit .188 in his time with NY and was injured. Supposedly his defense in not as good as it once was and his power was down to THREE homers, but now he will rebound in Sox park with 25 or more. These same folks think Abreu after another .300 season and 15 homers was washed up and needed to go. I love you all though. 

• Thanks 2

I'm good with this.  Would have been OK with Gallo, too, who may have a higher ceiling...but I would have been very nervous about the real bust potential, which is something this team absolutely cannot afford in 2023.  For a team whose success will rise and fall on bouncebacks from its core players, going the safe route makes sense.  At least there won't be a smoking hole in the outfield anymore (barring injury).

FWIW, while Benintendi was not great playing in Yankee stadium, his peripheral statcast numbers looked pretty good. He had an expected slash line of .253/.387/.449 while his actual slash line was .212/.354/.365 (this is actually an above average wRC+). His BABIP in that small sample was .212 so it's safe to say that when it normalizes over a larger sample, you're looking at numbers much closer to the expected slash line. 

• Like 2