Eloy to IL, low grade hamstring strain - retroactive to 4/4

raBBit

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That may be the case. It still was wise to remove him from the OF. Eloy is never going to play 150+. Just have to hope to get 120-130 out of him annually at the DH spot.

Robert would have died making that catch on Sunday if Eloy was out there

• Thanks 6

For all we know Eloy woulda blown out his hammy playing RF in Houston.  Getting him out of the OF was always a good call.  He *IS* injury prone, but as a DH he is far less likely to hurt someone else.  Fewer walls to worry about running the bases too.  It's not rocket science.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Tnetennba said:

For all we know Eloy woulda blown out his hammy playing RF in Houston.  Getting him out of the OF was always a good call.  He *IS* injury prone, but as a DH he is far less likely to hurt someone else.  Fewer walls to worry about running the bases too.  It's not rocket science.

I think the concern about him not really running in between ABs as a DH and then having to run hard to first once every 45 minutes is legit. 

However, the probability of him getting hurt playing OF probably outweighs the risk of him pulling something because he's not warmed up properly. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

I think the concern about him not really running in between ABs as a DH and then having to run hard to first once every 45 minutes is legit. 

However, the probability of him getting hurt playing OF probably outweighs the risk of him pulling something because he's not warmed up properly. 

Sox should him go hit the treadmill in the clubhouse during the half inning Sox are playing defense when his PA is coming up.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

Sure, for someone like him, that is a legit worry.  But that in no way negates the wisdom of DHing him when he's already proven he can't play OF.  Keeping him loose between ABs is a separate issue IMO.

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Sox should him go hit the treadmill in the clubhouse during the half inning Sox are playing defense when his PA is coming up.  

https://thisdayinbaseball.com/1999-houston-astros-outfielder-moises-alou-undergoes-surgery-to-repair-ligaments-in-his-left-knee-he-will-be-out-for-5-to-6-months-alou-was-injured-when-he-fell-while-tryi/?amp=1

I would be for any routine developed by training staff that could be performed quickly before an at bat that might loosen/stretch/prevent injury.  Perhaps the next edge is finding a way to keep injury prone or recovering players ways of preventing injury or getting back faster.  Based on our results, we haven't got it.

35 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

Interested in which hamstring it is. I can't remember what game it was, I think one of the last 2-3 games. He was running to 1B and he landed kinda funny on the 1B bag with his right leg. 

It is the left hamstring, not the one that had surgery last season.

I guess we shouldn't be surprised anymore. Like a poster wrote the same issues that have plagued this team last year are appearing again...injuries, a bad bullpen, little depth and an inability to score runs.

if you believe in karma the baseball gods seem to be saying again, that until this team is sold they are going to dump on it.

I was told a story from a source that part of the reason Hahn reacted and said the things he did when it was brought up to him about Eloy being injury-prone was because the Cubs basically keep bringing it up around baseball and it makes Hahn look bad.

I don't know if the Cubs knew something about his body type of if they are just trying to take advantage of the situation.

Like I said we shouldn't be surprised anymore but it is damn frustrating.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I’ve always wondered if his batting stance could be putting extra stress on muscles in his left hamstring.  It’s such an unnatural pose he does.

I've wondered the same, however Juan Soto essentially does the same thing from the left side and he seems to be fine. 

Wow, shocking to see another hamstring injury from the Sox, especially from Eloy with his new DH role, which was going to help him since he wasn't playing the OF. 

Good thing Rick Hahn has kept his promise that he was going to hire the right trainers and strength coordinators to get this team to stay healthier. Hahn's last hire from a season ago promoting Goldy Simmons to Director of Strength and Conditioning has really been working out well. Hey Gordy news flash...maybe you should have educated and taught Eloy that just because he isn't playing the outfield, he still needs to be stretched before he goes to his next at bat. Hey Goldy, here is a novel idea for you...maybe instead of having Eloy sitting his ass on the bench laughing with the guys while the Sox are on the field, maybe you could tell him to be stretching his hamstrings occasionally and especially right before his next at bat to stay loose.

Absolutely pathetic!

4 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Burger and Sheets should be fine platooning as the DH. And it gives them no reason to put on a glove.

Trying to look on the bright side myself, Burger provided a little offensive spark last year and had a nice spring.  Between him and Sheets the DH drop off should be minimal.  Just brutal that it's basically now confirmed we'll never see the full potential of a healthy Eloy.