Moncada actually dealing with a back issue.

Greg Hibbard

15 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

This dude is having major back issues. Maybe he will be back by all star break?  What a complete and total bust. 

Honestly, at this point, Burger is doing fine.  I really don't care when Moncada comes back.  If he's having bad back issues, who knows if he'll ever be 100% when he comes back.

It's a shame.  I really hoped we were going to see 2019 or 2021 Moncada again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Honestly, at this point, Burger is doing fine.  I really don't care when Moncada comes back.  If he's having bad back issues, who knows if he'll ever be 100% when he comes back.

It's a shame.  I really hoped we were going to see 2019 or 2021 Moncada again.

I don't know if I would say hes doing fine. He went through a nice little stretch where every ball he hit was destroyed. Hes still lousy on defense, hitting .213 and dropping, and striking out 35% of the time.

Well see how he looks after getting this extended playing time.

23 minutes ago, almagest said:

Moncada has a herniated disc that's impinging on a nerve in his back. That's a bad injury. No clue when he'll be back.

Pffft. He just doesn’t wanna play. Buncha posters on here would play through that injury.

But seriously, that sounds not great.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

That would be the kind of injury that would explain an awful lot of his 2022 performance.

yeah. if this is what's wrong with him, Hahn should be fired immediately for that extension. can't really blame Yoan at all for being soft if he's got a serious injury. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joejoesox said:

yeah. if this is what's wrong with him, Hahn should be fired immediately for that extension. can't really blame Yoan at all for being soft if he's got a serious injury. 

I mean, presumably he didn't have this injury back in what, 2019, when that contract was signed? I wouldn't have signed that contract from the White Sox's side if he had a potentially long term back issue. This would be the risk you take in signing those contracts early, that if you do it 6 or 7 times, eventually someone you sign turns out to have a debilitating condition. 

I'll defer to PTATC for his expert opinion, but anecdotally I've had a disk slip a few times in my life, numb leg(s) and all.  Resolved itself with increased walking and abdominal strength building exercises and not sleeping on my stomach, has not flared up in probably 8 years now.  I'm sure it depends how bad it is, but not necessarily a season ender for folks with a normal pain tolerance, Yoan might be a diff story however .

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I mean, presumably he didn't have this injury back in what, 2019, when that contract was signed? I wouldn't have signed that contract from the White Sox's side if he had a potentially long term back issue. This would be the risk you take in signing those contracts early, that if you do it 6 or 7 times, eventually someone you sign turns out to have a debilitating condition. 

They were claiming it flared up during the long WBC flights he was on, which seems pretty accurate based on my past experience with flared/bulging discs. 

• Balta1701 changed the title to Moncada actually dealing with a back issue.