2023 Memorial Day - White Sox State of the Union

The White Sox have a net 5.2 fWAR for the season.

Their bullpen and four of nine starting positions are negative through Sunday.

2023 22-33 .400 (34% of season)

3.0 Pitching Staff (25th)

• 3.1 Starting Pitchers (19th)
  • -0.1 Bullpen (27th)

2.2 Position Players (27th)

• 0.1 Catcher (24th)
  • -0.2 First Base (23rd)
  • -1.2 Second Base (30th)
  • 1.0 Third Base (12th)
  • -0.2 Shortstop (28th)
  • 0.4 Left Field (22nd)
  • 1.8 Center Field (10th)
  • -0.1 Right Field (27th)
  • 0.9 Designated Hitter (9th)

Comparison to Previous Five Full Seasons:

2017 67-95 .414

• 16.0 Position Players (18th)
  • 4.4 Pitching Staff (30th)

2018 62-100 .383

• 11.3 Position Players (23rd)
  • 9.8 Pitching Staff (25th)

2019 72-89 .447

• 13.2 Pitching Staff (16th)

2021 93-69 .574

• 22.9 Position Players (9th)
  • 27.6 Pitching Staff (1st)

2022 81-81 .500

• 15.2 Position Players (21st)
  • 17.3 Pitching Staff (10th)

Source: Fangraphs

Edited by South Side Hit Men
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• South Side Hit Men changed the title to 2023 Memorial Day - White Sox State of the Union

This team stinks. I want playoff baseball here since this franchise routinely deprives us all of that far too often. I also want this team to fail miserably so that some sort of change is forced to happen. Ultimately, it's mostly indifference that I feel towards the team now and it sucks. 

• Like 4
  • TLR 1

10 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

This team stinks. I want playoff baseball here since this franchise routinely deprives us all of that far too often. I also want this team to fail miserably so that some sort of change is forced to happen. Ultimately, it's mostly indifference that I feel towards the team now and it sucks. 

I wish more posters here would admit that what you said is what they want to see. Some people have gotten to this point, others I have heard from (not necessarily from this board) are reconsidering their fandom (lifelong passionate White Sox fans, not fair weather fans) and others see the malaise but are willing to let things out and see what moves are made.

As the years go on, JR will eventually pass and moves will be made, although my fear is the new owner will move the team out of Chicago to another state and we will get a new front office but the team will be elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

Looking at the June schedule, I don't think the Sox will be a .500 team by the end of the month. Having said that, the team should be in first and putting a little distance between themselves and the rest of the division. They are not a great team, but they are better than their record indicates. And a team doesn't have to be great to lead the AL Central.

I wish the FO would do something dramatic, but that won't happen. Something is just wrong here.

11 hours ago, Sleepy Harold said:

I want playoff baseball here since this franchise routinely deprives us all of that far too often. I also want this team to fail miserably so that some sort of change is forced to happen.

Yep. Worst case scenario is they play .500 or slightly over the rest of the way. Not bad enough to force change and not good enough to make the playoffs. Just sort of existing. Exciting stuff.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The White Sox have a net 5.0 fWAR for the season.

Their bullpen and four of nine starting positions are at 0.0 or negative through Saturday.

2023 22-32 .407 (40.7% of season)

2.9 Pitching Staff (24th)

• 3.1 Starting Pitchers (19th)
  • -0.1 Bullpen (27th)

2.1 Position Players (27th)

• 0.0 Catcher (24th)
  • -0.1 First Base (24th)
  • -1.2 Second Base (30th)
  • 1.2 Third Base (9th)
  • -0.4 Shortstop (28th)
  • 0.4 Left Field (22nd)
  • 1.9 Center Field (9th)
  • -0.1 Right Field (26th)
  • 0.9 Designated Hitter (10th)

Comparison to Previous Five Full Seasons:

2017 67-95 .414

• 16.0 Position Players (18th)
  • 4.4 Pitching Staff (30th)

2018 62-100 .383

• 9.8 Pitching Staff (25th)

2019 72-89 .447

• 13.2 Pitching Staff (16th)

2021 93-69 .574

• 22.9 Position Players (9th)
  • 27.6 Pitching Staff (1st)

2022 81-81 .500

• 15.2 Position Players (21st)
  • 17.3 Pitching Staff (10th)

Source: Fangraphs

Hence why the Sox are 11 games under .500 in the worst division in baseball and the third worst record of 30 teams.

Apparently this has been a prudent decision by Reinsdorf to keep Rick Hahn since he has been so consistent at losing.

Only 4 teams have more losses than the White Sox since 2013.

This blueprint in how Hahn has built this 26th ranked farm system, along with a severely flawed major league roster, which is void of any smart plate discipline or situational baseball fundamentals....assures the ongoing trainwreck of this dysfunctional organization.

Edited by The Kids Can Play
  • Hawk 1

38 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Yep. Worst case scenario is they play .500 or slightly over the rest of the way. Not bad enough to force change and not good enough to make the playoffs. Just sort of existing. Exciting stuff.

Does it make sense to cheer for the number three pick in the draft behind Oakland and KC?

10 minutes ago, The Beast said:

Does it make sense to cheer for the number three pick in the draft behind Oakland and KC?

It’s hard to get excited about a draft pick if it’s these same knuckleheads doing the drafting and developing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Really our seasons turning point will be the trading deadline. At that point this team will either have a fighting chance to make the playoffs or completely fold and sell what few good players we have. Likely the latter

Could be worse, we could be Oakland

They might be Oakland after they trade Giolito and Lynn and others at the deadline.

2 hours ago, Snopek said:

It’s hard to get excited about a draft pick if it’s these same knuckleheads doing the drafting and developing.

So then we are going to see more of the same continuous bitching and analysis by the same posters? I’ve asked before, but if Hahn doesn’t get canned and nothing changes, will we see more of the same tired analysis? Yikes, there’s got to be a better way to show displeasure that has an actual impact than writing short analytical articles.

Edited by The Beast

I just don’t care at the moment.  I’ve watched maybe three combined innings in the month of May.  I don’t know if they won or lost yesterday and who/if they play today.  I only scan threads here now and haven’t posted in awhile.  Not proud of any of that.  It makes me a little sad.  I loved the Sox.  I’m going to be 60 in October.  JR needs to be out, one way or the other soon.  I’d like to enjoy at least one more post-season run in my lifetime.  😢

• Like 3
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

6 hours ago, The Beast said:

I wish more posters here would admit that what you said is what they want to see. Some people have gotten to this point, others I have heard from (not necessarily from this board) are reconsidering their fandom (lifelong passionate White Sox fans, not fair weather fans) and others see the malaise but are willing to let things out and see what moves are made.

As the years go on, JR will eventually pass and moves will be made, although my fear is the new owner will move the team out of Chicago to another state and we will get a new front office but the team will be elsewhere.

The Chicago Cardinals regret leaving as would the White Sox.  Fans don't miracously become fans because something is there. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, JTB said:

I just don’t care at the moment.  I’ve watched maybe three combined innings in the month of May.  I don’t know if they won or lost yesterday and who/if they play today.  I only scan threads here now and haven’t posted in awhile.  Not proud of any of that.  It makes me a little sad.  I loved the Sox.  I’m going to be 60 in October.  JR needs to be out, one way or the other soon.  I’d like to enjoy at least one more post-season run in my lifetime.  😢

I’m going on 78 and running out of time, so far in 71 years of fandom I’ve seen them in 2 World Series and to be honest and sad about it the odds are I won’t see another one. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2