A Salute to Luis Robert, the all star

greg775

This board understandably is quite negative in 2023. So I would like to put aside negativism for a moment and salute Luis Robert, who has a chance to be our city's next true superstar (with the Blackhawks kid). Please post something here congratulating this still young player for his awesome performance so far this season. Knock on wood on the injury thing.

I would like to say, Thank you Luis for all the bombs. You are a very good hitter and appear to take your craft seriously and enjoy playing baseball.

Keep it up and have fun at the All-Star game. You are a great bright spot on this team. Keep it up if you can. Keep trying and stay healthy. And congrats on the all star bid. It said he almost cried upon hearing the news. If the Sox are ever gonna win again, this man may be our next fan fave and leader.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

Great job Luis Robert. You deserved this all-star nod. You would have been on this 2023 all-star team, even if MLB didn't have the rule where one player has to be represented from each team. You got there without the help of any good players around you in the lineup, like the other big home run guys who made the team and have the luxury of.

I just hope we don't waste away your prime years, because of this dysfunctional organization, owner and GM who might not be capable of putting together a winning roster around you, during your prime productive years.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, The Kids Can Play said:

Great job Luis Robert. You deserved this all-star nod. You would have been on this 2023 all-star team, even if MLB didn't have the rule where one player has to be represented from each team. You got there without the help of any good players around you in the lineup, like the other big home run guys who made the team and have the luxury of.

I just hope we don't waste away your prime years, because of this dysfunctional organization, owner and GM who might not be capable of putting together a winning roster around you, during your prime productive years.

They are going to waste his prime years.  This team blows and there really isn’t a realistic pathway to being any better the next couple of years with contract situations and the state of the farm.  Montgomery, Ramos and Schultz look like the only potential impact players.   Maybe they can compete again in 2026.  

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

If I had any say, I’d tell him to forget the HR Derby. 
Right now he’s in a good place with his swing, timing and mechanics and the Derby could screw that up and with his history of injuries we might see a trip to the IL. 
I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

Right now he’s in a good place with his swing, timing and mechanics and the Derby could screw that up and with his history of injuries we might see a trip to the IL. 

Eh, this is essentially the highlight of the Sox season. Might as well have some fun with it.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1
  • Hawk 1

13 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I get it, but does it really matter this year? He is on a team that isn't going anywhere and likely will have new faces in a few weeks. He has an opportunity to participate in something kids dream of. If I was him I wouldn't want to pass that up. 

• Like 3

I read that the commissioner's office put him on the team because he was the lone Sox representative and that he didn't get enough votes from the players. But somehow a guy like Austin Hays got voted in by the players. It makes absolutely no sense.

41 minutes ago, chw42 said:

I read that the commissioner's office put him on the team because he was the lone Sox representative and that he didn't get enough votes from the players. But somehow a guy like Austin Hays got voted in by the players. It makes absolutely no sense.

The players also voted Merrifield over Franco.

• Thanks 1

All my life, Center Field has been what excites me most about baseball . it's where I played in high school . going to Sox games as a boy I would always sit out in center . a great play by any center fielder, is what gets my blood flowing . Luis Robert Jr. is the guy that I have waited my entire adult life for . apparently, as ****ed up as this organization is, they were certainly capable of doing something right, when they made him a part of the team.

Edited by White Sox Park
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Can't wait! So glad he'll be seen by the whole country

Seems like an interesting call for a guy who is prone to extended streaks of futility at the plate, but it’ll be fun to watch. 

2 hours ago, chw42 said:

I haven't lost any sleep over the glorified popularity contest All-Star Game in decades. 

As far as I'm concerned can it and give the players the week off (like they are now doing in the NBA, a week off during the season)

If you want me to care again, fans no longer have a vote period or if they do they are only allowed one vote and not every team must be represented.

Personally I'm in favor of putting all stats into a computer and have them rank the qualified candidates by position. Top two infielders at each spot go, top six outfielders go, top two catchers go, top two DH's go. Top five starting pitchers go, top five relief pitchers go. 

28 players total for each league.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chw42 said:

most players are probably less knowledgeable than a lot of fans about 'macro' sort of baseball things.

3 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I hear you, but even tho i'm a broken record, i'll say again these modern players have their launch angles down pat. I mean he could struggle after being in the all star home run derby, but not if he just returns to his preferred launch angle. I love Robert (but) it's pretty obvious he's another HR or nothing guy. Not being negative. I only want to praise him in this thread.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1