Grade Rick Hahn's Trade Deadline Performance

South Side Hit Men

Grade Rick Hahn's Trade Deadline Performance  

102 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Rick Hahn's 2023 Trade Deadline Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/16/2023 at 04:59 AM

Grades should be based on who he traded and the players received with the stated goal of trading players not controllable after 2023, and obtaining future pieces.

• 7/26 Chicago White Sox traded RHP Lucas Giolito & RHP Reynaldo López to Los Angeles Angels for C Edgar Quero & LHP Ky Bush.
  • 7/28: Chicago White Sox traded RHP Kendall Graveman to Houston Astros for C Korey Lee.
  • 7/28: Chicago White Sox traded RHP Lance Lynn and RHP Joe Kelly to Los Angeles Dodgers for RF Trayce Thompson, RHP Nick Nastrini and RHP Jordan Leasure.
  • 8/1: Chicago White Sox traded cash for Tampa Bay Rays RHP Luis Patiño.
  • 8/1: Chicago White Sox traded 3B Jake Burger to Miami Marlins for LHP Jake Eder.
  • 8/1: Chicago White Sox traded RHP Keynan Middleton to New York Yankees for RHP Juan Carela.
Edited by South Side Hit Men
To include all trades to consider & Inserted MLB Player Links for acquired players
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

C.

The early moves were solid on paper. The decision to hang onto Cease while trading Burger for the return that came back is confusing.

I could see this, but also appreciated the fact he was holding out for a major return, and not willing to make a deal just to make one. Cease will still be valuable to trade this offseason or next deadline.

I really liked the Lance Lynn / Joe Kelly (that they got this much back) and Jake Burger (that they likely sold high and traded an excess DH) deals the best. I think they received a good return from Anaheim. but hard to tell if Hahn couldn't have gotten more waiting until the deadline, with teams more desperate and plans like the Dodgers foiled because of Rodriguez's veto.

Graveman and Burger were the two departures from the publicly stated goal of selling post 2023 FAs, but OK with going beyond that for these two players.

I seem to be in the minority that the Sox were smart to wait on Tim and Yoan until they could possibly get a decent to solid return next deadline (Tim possibly offseason, Yoan likely in July with only 2 months of salary left + buyout).

Wasn't surprised there was no interest in Grandal or Andrus, the remaining two 2024 FAs, perhaps a desperate team will claim on outright waivers (trade considerations are no longer permitted) over the final two months (players need to be rostered by August 31 for post season eligibility).

I voted B, you can see posters votes if you click the far right.

• Like 4

C+ for now.

Good returns, but questioning holding onto Cease (and Bummer) in this climate if Jerry isn't spending this offseason. If Jerry actually breaks the trend and opens up the pocketbook, this becomes an B- deadline because a lot of pitching and catching depth got shored up.

Not upset about Eloy, Moncada or TA remaining, since they'd be selling for absolute pennies on the dollar and TA/Moncada are likely gone after next year with Montgomery, Ramos, Gonzalez, Popeye and Sosa in the pipeline.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I could see this, but also appreciated the fact he was holding out for a major return, and not willing to make a deal just to make one. Cease will still be valuable to trade this offseason or next deadline.

I find it hard to believe that pitching in the offseason will garner the same sort of premium prices we were seeing pitching go for now. Even the expensive guys brought back significant returns to the Mets. The offseason just doesn't do this, teams will just spend FA money rather than make deals like this.

The trade deadline next year, I'm not sure. If he has a similar year to this year, he will be worth less - the loss of the year of control will really matter. If he's having a much better year (certainly possible) then you're right and he'll have more value. If things go worse, well...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I really liked the Lance Lynn / Joe Kelly (that they got this much back) and Jake Burger (that they likely sold high and traded an excess DH) deals the best. I think they received a good return from Anaheim. but hard to tell if Hahn couldn't have gotten more waiting until the deadline, with teams more desperate and plans like the Dodgers foiled because of Rodriguez's veto.

Graveman and Burger were the two departures from the publicly stated goal of selling post 2023 FAs, but OK with going beyond that for these two players.

I seem to be in the minority that the Sox were smart to wait on Tim and Yoan until they could possibly get a decent to solid return next deadline (Tim possibly offseason, Yoan likely in July with only 2 months of salary left + buyout).

Wasn't surprised there was no interest in Grandal or Andrus, the remaining two 2024 FAs, perhaps a desperate team will claim on outright waivers (trade considerations are no longer permitted) over the final two months (players need to be rostered by August 31 for post season eligibility).

Cease will never be worth more and an injury would abolutely destroy the franchise....

Will punch Hahn in the face if he so much much as suggests competing again for the AL Central with Dylan anchoring the rotation in 2024.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Grandal move looking worse and worse....never give a catcher in their 30s more than 2-3 years.

• Fire 1

Obviously it depends how these players turn out. A lot of people in the industry think they are future contributors, so that’s good for free agents to be on a non contending team. The Burger trade, for me was bad because I like watching him play. The guy they got for him could be good, and we all know they need pitching. One thing I find worrying is every pitcher they acquired seems to have issues with walks. 

• Like 3

Without knowing what offers came in, I'm thinking it's a B deadline grade. He might have made some offers and was turned down while turning down counter offers. 

I don't believe we really lost any of the trades made, but down graded a little for trades not made. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Grandal move looking worse and worse....never give a catcher in their 30s more than 2-3 years.

Generally about contracts, not necessarily Grandahl not another player down the road . . .

Sometimes you are just extending payments. We can give him x over three or x over four. Same money, longer contract. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I find it hard to believe that pitching in the offseason will garner the same sort of premium prices we were seeing pitching go for now. Even the expensive guys brought back significant returns to the Mets. The offseason just doesn't do this, teams will just spend FA money rather than make deals like this.

The trade deadline next year, I'm not sure. If he has a similar year to this year, he will be worth less - the loss of the year of control will really matter. If he's having a much better year (certainly possible) then you're right and he'll have more value. If things go worse, well...

I agree that Cease and Burger were the two best "sell high" guys beyond Lucas and hear what you are saying.

Would you have took a package considered sub-par to flip Cease now? I prefer Hahn kept Cease for now if what was being offered was not commensurate with a pitcher of Cease's caliber and contract status.

Several teams will fill their needs via FA, but teams with less money or those fretting over the BS "Luxury Tax" will be in the market for a pitcher they will pay about $20M-$24M over his final two seasons, less than half of what FA pitchers will cost salary wise. Cease will be younger than the FA pitchers, another selling point, with of course the offset of having to deal prospects vs. just cash. Hopefully there will be a better GM in place making the decision on Cease, Robert and everyone else still standing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

I agree that Cease and Burger were the two best "sell high" guys beyond Lucas and hear what you are saying.

Would you have took a package considered sub-par to flip Cease now? I prefer Hahn kept Cease for now if what was being offered was not commensurate with a pitcher of Cease's caliber and contract status.

Several teams will fill their needs via FA, but teams with less money or those fretting over the BS "Luxury Tax" will be in the market for a pitcher they will pay about $20M-$24M over his final two seasons, less than half of what FA pitchers will cost salary wise. Cease will be younger than the FA pitchers, another selling point, with of course the offset of having to deal prospects vs. just cash. Hopefully there will be a better GM in place making the decision on Cease, Robert and everyone else still standing.

My target for Cease was always "two top level prospects and an interesting third or fourth piece". I wasn't wedded to any particular set of names, but obviously I thought the matchup for Baltimore made so much sense. What the #3 guy would have to be would depend on what the #1 and #2 guys were. If Baltimore (or some other team) was only offering 1 key piece with a couple of weak second and third options (non top 100 or whatever line you want to draw), then that's the kind of offer I'd have to turn down, I'd believe that's a weak enough offer you could beat in the offseason.

I would be surprised if no one made an offer that I'd have accepted. If no one did, then that might actually be a sign that teams are down on Dylan Cease and really do think he's the pitcher seen this year.

C-

It's good that they got some arms but there's no way in hell they compete for anything next year so I don't know why they kept Cease. Even if they plan on spending money, no good free agents are going to want to come here. Maybe they trade Cease and others during the winter meetings?

• Like 1

It would help to know what were the final Cease offers.

BALs offer for Flaherty was very weak and STL took it. Not clear what they offered us for Cease. Harold suggested teams were prospect hoarding, again tough to say without knowing offers. Same for TA.

I like the return on Burger trade alot. For trades completed they did well on returns. 

• Fire 1