Sox marketing of Vaughn lately

Greg Hibbard

3 hours ago, FT35 said:

They seem to be trying to add value to him in different ways.  Disappointing stats?  No problem, we’ll just spin it— “this guy’s got intangibles that give him unseen value.  You can’t put a price on leadership…Andrew is invaluable to our team…”

In other words…“I’ll trade him this winter if that high price is met…”

His only real value in trade is his cheap team control.  And why trade for that when you can find subpar 1B defense with better power numbers in FA?

32 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Len says the Sox are 0-10 when Sox pitchers strikeout 14 or more hitters, will be 0-11 without a comeback.

Four of these games were extra innings.

Wow quite the accomplishment.  Poor defense and poor hitting ftw

Edited by YonderLaroche
  • Like 1

I think they've made the decision to market the quiet, keeps to himself, and "safe" player that isn't going to sleep in the clubhouse during games, slap the s%*# out of the team's SS, enjoy the late-night party life in South Bend, or start raking up the baby mommas. What the worst he can do? Throw a fish back into a lake without removing the fish hook?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

I think they've made the decision to market the quiet, keeps to himself, and "safe" player that isn't going to sleep in the clubhouse during games, slap the s%*# out of the team's SS, enjoy the late-night party life in South Bend, or start raking up the baby mommas. What the worst he can do? Throw a fish back into a lake without removing the fish hook?

Have some kind of embarrassing hair transplant gone awry…

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Len says the Sox are 0-10 when Sox pitchers strikeout 14 or more hitters, will be 0-11 without a comeback.

Four of these games were extra innings.

Meanwhile,  the rest of the league is 125-50 (0.714) when striking out 14+.

Also,  17Ks last night amounts to almost 2/3 of the entire game without any contact.  And yet they lose 7-1. 

Edited by skooch
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

There really aren’t many options, and they need to pump up somebody in a desperate attempt to keep fans interested.

And I don’t like to point to race in most cases, but this is also a race-based move. Basically every white guy I know that cares about the Sox at all (a shallow pool to be sure) has a giant hard-on for Vaughn. I believe it’s the perception that he’s a humble, quiet, and hardworking player. Those things may even be true, but he’s not a very good player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Superstar Lamar said:

Vaughn looks like the kind of person you see after your car breaks down on a lonely country road in the middle of the night.

Deliverance 2...or one of those guys who park their pontoon boats in the wrong place and refuse to give up their spot until fisticuffs break out out and Sheriff Roscoe P. Coltrane shows up to adjudicate.

But not cool enough to be Bo or Luke.

Maybe he works with Cooter in the garage on transmission overhauls.

7 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

There really aren’t many options, and they need to pump up somebody in a desperate attempt to keep fans interested.

And I don’t like to point to race in most cases, but this is also a race-based move. Basically every white guy I know that cares about the Sox at all (a shallow pool to be sure) has a giant hard-on for Vaughn. I believe it’s the perception that he’s a humble, quiet, and hardworking player. Those things may even be true, but he’s not a very good player.

No question about that. It doesn't mean that AV is not good, but he is has become the prototype for what some fans want to see in their hero. I like players who enjoy playing the game and despite ups and downs in their careers, always try their best to entertain fans.  I would include AV, Liam Hendriks, and Eloy Jimenez in that group. I think TA is somewhat different in that he could use some support from fans now while he has experienced some  trying times. He could also use some support from players, support that he did not get during that fight. Picking him up and dragging him away only made things look worse for TA.  Maybe the Sox need to start a fight with Cleveland and win it. Throw a brush back pitch to get that going next series with the Guardos. Have some balls and stand by your teammate.

Edited by tray
  • Love 1
  • TLR 1

On 8/8/2023 at 1:54 PM, The Mighty Mite said:

My guess is that of the 2 AV probably has more leadership qualities than Robert, maybe from his college days. I believe that the Sox think he is only going to get better as this is only his 3rd year in pro ball, he never played in the Minors except in the Rookie league. Robert is a introvert and from what I read is very shy, he would be better leading by example but he’s had issues by not busting his butt on groundouts and other instances, last night was the first time I’ve seen him run like someone in a 40 yard dash, I didn’t realize he had that kind of speed. We need to see more of that from him. Robert has a chance of becoming an all time Sox great, he just needs to want it. 
What’s missing in all this is that the guy that should have been the leader is TA but we all know how things have turned to crap with him on and off the field.

You're right Robert is shy and will never be a big time extroverted leader. Yet that is totally fine. If this team had some real leaders guys like Vaughn and Robert wouldn't have to be forced to be leaders and they could just be good foot soldiers and teammates. I think both of them would do so much better around more talent and leaders.

I just hope during Robert's time here, we don't waste it away and we surround him with some great players and leaders.

Btw, I totally agree with you Robert has a chance to be one of greatest all-time Sox players. I think he has a chance this season to go 40 doubles, 40 home runs and 20 SB, which would make him one of only 6 players in MLB history to accomplish that. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, tray said:

No question about that. It doesn't mean that AV is not good, but he is has become the prototype for what some fans want to see in their hero. I like players who enjoy playing the game and despite ups and downs in their careers, always try their best to entertain fans.  I would include AV, Liam Hendriks, and Eloy Jimenez in that group. I think TA is somewhat different in that he could use some support from fans now while he has experienced some  trying times. He could also use some support from players, support that he did not get during that fight. Picking him up and dragging him away only made things look worse for TA.  Maybe the Sox need to start a fight with Cleveland and win it. Throw a brush back pitch to get that going next series with the Guardos. Have some balls and stand by your teammate.

No more games against them this year.

JR could have sold a lot of tickets off that rematch, at least Game 1.

On 8/9/2023 at 9:47 AM, Milkman delivers said:

Sox fans (and probably fans of most/all other teams) have always gravitated towards the stoic and/or gritty white guys with non-exceptional athleticism and appearance like Vaughn. This is another area where Vaughn has something in common with Paul Konerko (let's hope the production catches up). Vaughn looks like a guy who wouldn't be instantly recognizable as a pro athlete if you bumped into him on the street. A lot of folks see those guys as basically just like them except good at baseball. The less they speak and act demonstrative, the easier it is to project all the qualities you like onto them

• Like 2