KW/Hahn - They Gone

DirtySox

5 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

I don’t get the Tribune, can you give a short recap of the article.

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

The official statement says “single decision maker” will be in place “by the end of the season.”  That means no one who is currently under contract. That means either JR is thinking an internal candidate, or someone who is currently freeish like Epstein, Click, or, God forbid, TLR.

I hope it's not Epstein. He couldn't draft and develop pitchers for anything. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From DVS's story tonight at the Sun-Times:

"Assistant general manager Chris Getz, who oversees the Sox’ farm system, and assistant GM Jeremy Haber are assuming GM duties while Reinsdorf looks for a new top front office person. Getz will be a candidate for the GM post."

Set it in stone. GM Getz. Hey new Operations guy…you’ll get Getz and Pedro, and like it. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Yeah so,eome needs to do the token GM stuff now. Once a new guy is in place, he or she will want their people. That’s when hopefully the vast majority of the remaining dopes are flushed. That’s for Pedro.

I'm hoping for someone that thinks of their people as about 100 players, not just a manager. Lots to do, plenty of time to decide on a manager. 

This is a good move. It wasn't suppose to be this way but led by Kenny and Rick this organization fell on their faces. 

I was never a guy who disliked Kenny. Kenny always went for it and tried, sometimes foolishly. 

I thought Rick was a brilliant mind when he took over but it never worked and we found out that Rick was kind of a fraud who talked a impressive game. 

Moving on.......anyone who thinks that Getz or someone internal is going to be a GM doesn't see what is happening here.

I dislike Jerry but if Jerry is going to fire Kenny then no one internally will get this job. I'm glad to see Jerry has a pulse and seems to be pissed at what has gone on.

I'm excited for the next chapter but honestly I can't handle another 3-4 year rebuild. 

I want to see things turn around and this maybe a start.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

Hope they're not done. Grifol needs to go, too. And hopefully Reinsdorf shops outside the organization for replacements. We need new blood, new strategies and ideas. We screwed up by not snatching Botchy. Look what he's done for the Rangers. But, Maddon and Mattingly are still jobless, to name a few. Enough of the same ol' crap! Brighter days are ahead!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Timmy U said:

The official statement says “single decision maker” will be in place “by the end of the season.”  That means no one who is currently under contract. That means either JR is thinking an internal candidate, or someone who is currently freeish like Epstein, Click, or, God forbid, TLR.

54 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

So if they intend to hire someone this season doesn’t that all but guarantee it’s someone internal or currently unemployed? Could they even conduct front office interviews from other teams during the season? 

Nah they can interview. Scott Harris was the GM of the Giants and he took the Tigers president of baseball ops job in September 19th last year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

I'm excited for the next chapter but honestly I can't handle another 3-4 year rebuild. 

I want to see things turn around and this maybe a start.

I liked the way Stu Holcomb and Roland Hemond approached things when they took over after the 56-106 1970 season.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man
  • Like 2
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Lol.

2 hours ago, Lip Man 1 said:

For what it's worth just got this from my source who had dinner with JR and everyone last Wednesday. I mentioned that if either Haber or Getz were named the permanent G.M. nothing would really change.

I am VERY encouraged by this comment:

"Based I what I heard him (JR) say at dinner last week I would be shocked if either one (Haber or Getz) remains let alone get that job. My understanding is they are both part of the problem." 

Two different sources. Let’s hope Lip Man 1 is right.

1 hour ago, chitownsportsfan said:

If they give the gig to Getz this is 2 steps forward, 2 steps back.

If I was in charge I'd make some phone calls to Theo, Dombrowski and others and ask them what the price to come to Chicago is. If it's too high, I'd pick their brains for who they think under them is ready for a promotion. I'd then give that person carte blanche to rework the entire org, from the guy watering the field to the baseball operations department.

I’d hope they would raid the Dodgers and Rays. Or get a consultant to help with the search process.

1 hour ago, chitown87 said:

If I could daydream...

It has long been speculated that Epstein wants to get into ownership for the next stage of his career. What if Jerry brought him in and equity was part of the comp package? With the opportunity to be part of a group that bought the remainder of the team when Jerry steps away and sells?

I’d love it, but I do doubt that it happens.

1 hour ago, baseballgalaly said:

oh ffs

Key word is internal. It’s also one source. Let’s let things play out. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

I never want to cheer someone losing their income but I am cheering a new direction for Sox baseball. I would like to hear that JR has put together a search committee similar to what the Bears did. I wouldn't mind seeing someone from inside the organization but have two or three more from outside. 

I have similar thoughts. McCaskey was the king of consultants and finally got a working pair (for now). It’s baseball, but the idea still applies. It’s a billionaire without knowledge of the game. They could conceivably hire a consultant and do an interview process similar to the Chicago Bears in 2022.

34 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

His son did in fact hire outside of the organization and while it hasn’t panned out yet, it did happen and he did not go internal.

25 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

From DVS's story tonight at the Sun-Times:

"Assistant general manager Chris Getz, who oversees the Sox’ farm system, and assistant GM Jeremy Haber are assuming GM duties while Reinsdorf looks for a new top front office person. Getz will be a candidate for the GM post."

Key word: Candidate. Not a done deal by any stretch.

23 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Part of me thinks this is done to get the team ready for some buyers.

That was one of my thoughts as well.

5 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

I liked the way Stu Holcomb and Roland Hemond approached things when they took over after the 56-106 1970 season.

In 2 seasons the Sox improved so much they came close to winning the division in 1972, if Melton hadn’t hurt his back they might have won it.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Vote4Pedro said:

Shocked!!!!!!!! Like on the road and had to pull over to read the headline shocked!!!! Not able to read too much but can someone give me the cliff notes?! Hahn and KW both out?! What’s next?!?!?!

Both gone. Expect to hire new person to run the show by the end of the season. Getz not fired so speculation that he is an option.

Supposedly Pedro's job is safe.

Like you I was shocked when I saw the headline. Pretty sure I had the look on my face of a dog that's heard a new sound. Immediately came here and thread was already through 2 whole pages.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, NWsideSoxfan said:

This is exciting it finally happened and Kenny won’t be involved in the next GM hire. I really thought Hahn was gone or promoted up to his level of incompetence and Kenny would ultimately hire Getz. I hope they go outside or better yet sell baby.

Darryl Bostons buttcheeks just tightened up

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Wickel said:

Hope they're not done. Grifol needs to go, too. And hopefully Reinsdorf shops outside the organization for replacements. We need new blood, new strategies and ideas. We screwed up by not snatching Botchy. Look what he's done for the Rangers. But, Maddon and Mattingly are still jobless, to name a few. Enough of the same ol' crap! Brighter days are ahead!!

The new boss will for the coach. There still have to field a team