KW/Hahn - They Gone

DirtySox

4 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yup, Hahn’s media campaign is out in full force.  Dude accomplished nothing in 11 years, but somehow he was the victim of a messy leadership trio for his entire tenure.  Not sure why people are buying it.

GM for 11 years, yet stayed in said messy leadership trio for a decade. At some point that is on you. That stink is your stink too.  You’re complicit in this mess no matter how that silver tongue tries to spin it.  

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kwill said:

I think Rick Hahn deserved to get fired. 

However, I feel bad for him. He seemed to be underminded by his bosses all of the time. 

Didnt want to Hire Larussa

Wanted to Pay Bryce Harper to come here

Had the trade to the Marlins axed of sending TA to Marlins. Kenny stepped in and swapped out with Burger at the last minute. 

I also believe Hahn was the victim of a lot of dysfunction and likely had multiple positive baseball decisions overruled.  BUT.  At some point, if you believe you are being forced to attach your good name to a bad product/situation you have to find your way out or you deserve the scorn that's coming your way.  He was in the middle of the process that led to these disastrous results to the bitter end so he deserves the blame, period. 

More extreme situation of course, but it reminds me of the legal framework behind conspiracy - at some point a member of the conspiracy needs to make an affirmative effort to withdraw or they're liable for the conspiracy's acts; if they don't withdraw, it doesn't mean a thing that they "didn't like what was going on."

Edited by 35thstreetswarm
  • Like 1

I believe this debunks that theory that Hahn was quiet fired and KW was now pulling all the strings behind the scenes. It was just total chaos apparently. Both these guys were on the field for batting practice right before getting fired, they had no idea this was coming (well they should have at least).

The weirdest part of this is that seemingly all the KC Royals/Braves cabal members were theoretically on the side of retaining Burger...since Hostetler absolutely loved him and he's as close with Dayton Moore as Moore is with "Getzie."

The fact of the matter is that JR must have believed Tim Anderson was more important to selling 2024 tickets than Jake Burger, and not sure everyone agrees with that one.

Or it was just another power trip between KW and Hahn.

Then you have the aspect of a pitcher already having been seriously injured.

Boyer's take from the sales and marketing side would be intriguing...or Reifert/Merkin.

I made a post months ago about who exactly Sox fans would want to watch hit other than Luis Robert, JR.

That question still remains unanswered going into the off season.

Luis Robert and Dylan Cease remain the only real major League assets.

Montgomery doing a Corey Seager impression remains the best hope for the team's future if he can stay healthy.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

The weirdest part of this is that seemingly all the KC Royals/Braves cabal members were theoretically on the side of retaining Burger...since Hostetler absolutely loved him and he's as close with Dayton Moore as Moore is with "Getzie."

The fact of the matter is that JR must have believed Tim Anderson was more important to selling 2024 tickets than Jake Burger, and not sure everyone agrees with that one.

Or it was just another power trip between KW and Hahn.

Then you have the aspect of a pitcher already having been seriously injured.

Boyer's take from the sales and marketing side would be intriguing...or Reifert/Merkin.

I made a post months ago about who exactly Sox fans would want to watch hit other than Luis Robert, JR.

That question still remains unanswered going into the off season.

Luis Robert and Dylan Cease remain the only real major League assets.

Montgomery doing a Corey Seager impression remains the best hope for the team's future if he can stay healthy.

Personally, I think Reifert is Lip's main source.

• Like 2

Rick Hahn fired Doug Laumann for Nick Hostetler and then hired Chris Getz right before he got the reins for the rebuild. WHen the farm was about to be the most important thing to his success, he handed control to the worst scouting director of my sox lifetime, and a guy who had virtually zero player dev experience right before player development was about to go through a revolution.

He deserves no sympathy because he couldn't choose the manager. The fact that he thought the manager was what the team was missing just shows that he sucks.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hard not to read Law's latest and see that all of Hahns player WAR worth writing about were Laumann picks. That guy went out on an awful pick (Fulmer), but I would have much rather seen him handle 2016 than Hostetler. That draft killed the rebuild.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bmags said:

Hard not to read Law's latest and see that all of Hahns player WAR worth writing about were Laumann picks. That guy went out on an awful pick (Fulmer), but I would have much rather seen him handle 2016 than Hostetler. That draft killed the rebuild.

A pretty crazy final thought about the rebuild, the very first draft of the rebuild would end up being the death knell

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bmags said:

It was pretty damning for everyone. Marco Paddy is generally admired here, but giving out 7 figures to guys that don't get out of the DSL? That's Dave Wilder stuff. They hit on Robert, but we all would have hit on Robert. They hit on Tatis, but got rid of him for pure garbage. 

The other thing I was thinking, the rebuild,, although failed, did net the Sox Robert. No way JR shells out the cash plus penalty if he was spending money half assed trying to win.

Edited by Dick Allen

3 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

It was pretty damning for everyone. Marco Paddy is generally admired here, but giving out 7 figures to guys that don't get out of the DSL? That's Dave Wilder stuff. They hit on Robert, but we all would have hit on Robert. They hit on Tatis, but got rid of him for pure garbage. 

The other thing I was thinking, the rebuild,, although failed, did net the Sox Robert. No way JR shells out the cash plus penalty if he was spending money half assed trying to win.

Well, i'll take pride in not admiring Paddy, but he is by far the most complicated figure. 

I still don't think those failures listed are that uncommon or that big a deal. But they stick out because we don't sign enough of them.

Reminds me of how this board was so anti-prep player because we couldn't develop them. The reality was prospects fail, and we never drafted prep guys, so having a bad run of the handfull we did was stuck in people's minds. Now we have colson and nobodies bothered, despite the fact that Kath, Dalquist, Macdougal and Kelly are all flaming out pretty much.

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

Well, i'll take pride in not admiring Paddy, but he is by far the most complicated figure. 

I still don't think those failures listed are that uncommon or that big a deal. But they stick out because we don't sign enough of them.

Reminds me of how this board was so anti-prep player because we couldn't develop them. The reality was prospects fail, and we never drafted prep guys, so having a bad run of the handfull we did was stuck in people's minds. Now we have colson and nobodies bothered, despite the fact that Kath, Dalquist, Macdougal and Kelly are all flaming out pretty much.

wait we're counting McDougal as a bust now?

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't consider any of them busts yet (except dalquist)

My wife's scouting report from Dash vs. Cyclones: "Why doesn't he just pitch better?"

She pretty much doesn't care about sports outside of Alex Caruso + watching games with me, so you know he's bad.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Pale Sox said:

I haven’t seen anything mentioned about Hostetler. Please tell me that numbnuts is gone. 

Ideally a new VP of Ops is brought in and he hires himself a GM - then those two go to town on the entire front office, coaching staff, and roster.

This is us though so uh… yea.

5 hours ago, hi8is said:

Ideally a new VP of Ops is brought in and he hires himself a GM - then those two go to town on the entire front office, coaching staff, and roster.

This is us though so uh… yea.

I'm not certain immediately going to town on the entire front office is the best use of time. I'd focus on the key positions of evaluating talent before some of the logistics stuff. 

And we assume that everyone in the organization is an idiot and needs to be fired. If you ever worked for an idiot ask yourself, were you an idiot that also needed to be fired? We may have some good people in place. I don't know.