After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

28 minutes ago, Scott Merkin Fan said:

I’m going to try to be optimistic. We knew who Hahn and Kenny were, we have no clue who Getz will be. He has a chance to position himself as the franchise’s savior with the right moves. He also probably doesn’t have a lot of time to prove himself, pending the sale of the team. The only problem is his hiring likely comes with retaining Pedro. That move alone might define his legacy.

Getz failed the minor league system and said Vizquel was a positive influence on the minor league clubhouse. Hes not fit to be GM of a failed franchise. He has no qualifications. None.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Everyone will have to handle it in their own way. I feel if people do not give Jerry a penny, at the games, via merchandise, via his garbage cable TV network, that's the only thing he gives a s%*# about.

I boycotted for 13 years after the 1990 season, and boycotted a second time since the Tony La Russa hire. I went to one game this year with tickets from a friend that won a charity raffle, didn't spend a penny (I brought beer and food for tailgating), and won't until Jerry is no longer in charge. Not sure I'd return if Michael Reinsdorf takes over, they need new ownership and a completely new direction.

Yea, Make these moves and I'm done. Won't get a penny from me either. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

It was always gonna be Getz. Wasn’t this the rumor over a year ago?

I was told Reinsdorf was going to do it in May but he changed his mind. 

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Jerry was never, ever going to hire a person that would tell him how messed up the organization is

Maybe Getz told him how messed up his organization is during his interview. 🤔

Just now, Jake said:

Two requests:

1. Sell me the snake oil. Who's got the most positive sales pitch on why Chris Getz should be the GM? What would Chris be saying about himself to Jerry to get this job?

2. What's the reason Jerry would have any particular attachment to Chris Getz? He was a White Sox player, but not for long. And he was such a minor figure on our team I wouldn't have expected Jerry to have any kind of relationship with Getz in his playing days. So if not that, what makes Getz stand out relative to other guys in the front office from a relationship standpoint?

For 1, I think we covered it already - Jerry got sold on the '14-'15 Royals, who were built cheaply with a dynamite bullpen and lots of prospect luck. They also played the game "hard" or "the right way" or whatever. This of course ignores the 30 years of ineptitude surrounding those successful years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is what Getz said about Omar Vizquel after it was found that he was sexually and mentally abusing a batboy (with mental challenges):

“Listen, Omar, ultra-talented player, very good instructor, created a good environment for our players,” Getz continued. “We just felt with where things are at, our player development system, that it was time to go separate ways. But not only for himself, but for the organization as well and we wish Omar well. He was a positive influence while he was here.”

There are people who want to give this guy a shot? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Rocky said:

If Getz is the new GM, I will be done supporting this stupid organization.  

Yup. I am already mostly mentally and emotionally detached, but this would likely be the last straw. I will only go to games to watch the opposition play baseball, the home team will be dead to me.

• Like 1

The other thing that might be happening here is “baseball people” not with the Sox is that they don’t want to come here and work for JRs crusty ass. Kind of like Espada last off season, maybe guys like James Click will hold out for a better organization before leaving his current gig. Chris Getz might be the best bad option right now. Again, we’re hoping for the best on yearly basis until Reinsdorf isn’t the boss.

Just now, flavum said:

The other thing that might be happening here is “baseball people” not with the Sox is that they don’t want to come here and work for JRs crusty ass. Kind of like Espada last off season, maybe guys like James Click will hold out for a better organization before leaving his current gig. Chris Getz might be the best bad option right now. Again, we’re hoping for the best on yearly basis until Reinsdorf isn’t the boss.

I understand their is limitations, but it's an MLB GM job. Only 30 of those in the world. Rosenthal worte after speaking with 5 execs that it's attractive because you won't get fired, are in an awful divison, and really should have more resources available than anyone else in the division. Just about every owner mettles. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

This is what Getz said about Omar Vizquel after it was found that he was sexually and mentally abusing a batboy (with mental challenges):

There are people who want to give this guy a shot? 

Would really like to hear Getz address this statement. We know the organization got rid of Vizquel because they believed he was guilty of what he was accused of doing — that was the right thing to do. So why this statement? Did Getz actually know why Vizquel was being let go? I can understand that when you fire someone for something that you don't feel confident you can prove, you don't say "we fired him because of sexual harassment." But he obviously went further than that in avoiding negative talk about the guy they fired. So what's the deal? Did he not know, was he on marching orders from someone else (if so, why), or was he careless with his words when trying to simply avoid making a claim that could have led to litigation?

I would guess we won't ever hear anything about this, but it's a real bad look.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

Would really like to hear Getz address this statement. We know the organization got rid of Vizquel because they believed he was guilty of what he was accused of doing — that was the right thing to do. So why this statement? Did Getz actually know why Vizquel was being let go? I can understand that when you fire someone for something that you don't feel confident you can prove, you don't say "we fired him because of sexual harassment." But he obviously went further than that in avoiding negative talk about the guy they fired. So what's the deal? Did he not know, was he on marching orders from someone else (if so, why), or was he careless with his words when trying to simply avoid making a claim that could have led to litigation?

Seems pretty boilerplate to me?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jake said:

No one in the Chicago media will dare have the balls to go down that road. It’ll be nothing but underhand softball questions.

The majority of White Sox fans don't know or care about the front office.  We're on a board with a bunch of folks who know a lot about the Sox, and baseball in general, and are opinionated.  While we're pulling out our hair asking why the Sox would promote Chris Getz, most fans will be like, "Didn't he used to play for the Sox?"

If 50% of us say we won't support this team anymore (I'm not one of them), and 50% of that 50% actually do stop supporting them team and don't go to another game until JR sells or kicks off, it's not really going to make a difference.  The product on the field, outside of major price hikes or drops, will determine how many people show up to the games.  The product on the field right now stinks.  And that's not just because there's a lack of talent; there's a lack of will, of trying.

2024, no matter who is in the front office, needs to be a clean slate.  Build a good team around Robert.  Jettison the dead weight.  Promote a culture of accountability.  If Getz is the guy making the decisions or someone else, I don't care as long as 2023 never fucking happens again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

Seems pretty boilerplate to me?

Like I said, I'm sympathetic to the idea that you need to avoid speaking ill of the guy in that situation. But especially saying he created a good atmosphere and was a positive influence seems way out of line and goes from true/possibly true statements (like that he was a great player and perhaps good instructor)  to ones that don't seem to be true unless one thinks sanctioning sexual harassment of disabled people in full view of the players is a good environment that leads to positive outcomes. Just in terms of trying to put myself in Getz's shoes, I would both want to stick to facts and try to avoid making any extra kinds of statements that might be seen as the Sox endorsing him for other jobs in the league. That said, I'd be open-minded towards the idea that he just didn't think that carefully about his words and hopes to do better in the future.

39 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Yup. I am already mostly mentally and emotionally detached, but this would likely be the last straw. I will only go to games to watch the opposition play baseball, the home team will be dead to me.

I'm too old to care anymore! Enough of the drama.

• Like 2

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP