2023 Division Series

flavum

16 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:
  • #1 2023 Postseason Priority - Jose Abreu World Series Championship & World Series MVP
  • #2 2023 Postseason Priority - Rob Manfred DUI arrest if he doesn't have a paid driver at all times.
  • #3 2023 Postseason Priority - If Houston doesn't make it, than the lowest TV Ratings Possible (Texas or Minnesota vs. Arizona).

Come on Wegner, you're better than that. His playoff OPS has been higher than his regular season OPS each of the three seasons his team made it. It's not his fault Jerry and Hahn surrounded him with half ass to mostly garbage rosters in Chicago during his prime seasons.

Jose Abreu Postseason OPS:

• 2020 .857 Playoffs vs. .831 MVP Regular Season
  • 2021 .857 Playoffs vs. .824 Regular Season
  • 2023 1.058 YTD Playoffs vs. .680 Regular Season

Jose Abreu's regular season OPS in 2020 was .987. Very few first basemen win MVP awards with .831 OPS's, even in virus-shortened seasons. His playoff OPS was not higher than his regular season OPS.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

MLB is shitting bricks at the possibility of Dbacks eliminating the Dodgers and an all Texas ALCS. Personally I wouldn't watch a single minute of either series. Zero interest.

This isn't the NBA. Practically no one cares about MLB playoff ratings, nor should you. They make up a tiny slice of MLB's overall revenue. There's probably like 1 commercial marketing guy who cares about that. 

Frankly, MLB is better off when different franchises make the ALCS other than New York or Boston fairly regularly, because spreading the success around leads to those teams selling more season tickets and building stronger fanbases long term. It is good for MLB that the Rangers are back in the playoffs in a big population center, that will help grow the game in that area and it will help create new long term ad sales and purchase agreements for that franchise. It isn't bad for MLB that everyone hates the Astros, either, although there is less excitement here than there was before their run began.

It would be good for MLB if this turned out to be a good, competitive series, with few blowouts and it running 6 or 7 games, but still, the impact of getting a team that missed the playoffs for a decade back in the ALCS is bigger than pretty much anything else. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Balta1701 said:

This isn't the NBA. Practically no one cares about MLB playoff ratings, nor should you. They make up a tiny slice of MLB's overall revenue. There's probably like 1 commercial marketing guy who cares about that. 

Frankly, MLB is better off when different franchises make the ALCS other than New York or Boston fairly regularly, because spreading the success around leads to those teams selling more season tickets and building stronger fanbases long term. It is good for MLB that the Rangers are back in the playoffs in a big population center, that will help grow the game in that area and it will help create new long term ad sales and purchase agreements for that franchise. It isn't bad for MLB that everyone hates the Astros, either, although there is less excitement here than there was before their run began.

It would be good for MLB if this turned out to be a good, competitive series, with few blowouts and it running 6 or 7 games, but still, the impact of getting a team that missed the playoffs for a decade back in the ALCS is bigger than pretty much anything else. 

I'm pretty sure MLB cares about the ratings, but the rest of your post I give respect to, as if you're gonna go contrarian at least make it well thought out.

Nola is driving up his asking price by tens of millions coming off a disappointing regular season.

Harper (with intermittent Castellanos/Schwarber the last two years) is bringing up more "what if" questions for long-suffering White Sox and Cubs fans.

Edited by caulfield12

Guess it's not much of a surprise with how many opportunities he had to hit against the Twins in his career.

For the Astros, getting back to the World Series makes the Abreu contract almost worth it.

Assuming they can get past their in-state rival.

Houston now has a run of 2014 (almost knocked off KC) and then 2016 through 2023 in the playoffs despite all the leadership changes as well as the cheating scandal.

2 hours ago, fathom said:

Bryce is one of the coolest players of all time

Imagine being able to sign him for $25M a year and saying nah and then potentially trading for Salvador Perez at $21M a year.

Harper would have been an amazing fit and sold a fuckload of tickets and merchandise.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, DirtySox said:

Lance Lynn. I've seen this performance before.

Yes in 1980.

This is the start Lance Lynn and the Dodgers deserve. Said a few days ago, at least start this clown at home where he has at least pitched decent at times, not at Arizona where he would likely get clobbered.

7 hours ago, 35thstreetswarm said:

He was such an obvious choice it was almost comical.  Til I die I'll never understand how he was not the hire.  (I mean I understand, of course, but I can't believe it.)

As painful as it is watching that guy walk to the mound, it hurts even more knowing the Sox continue to screw up managerial hires.

What's funny is that this is the best a Dodgers SP has pitched this series.

I know this was kind of a lost year for the Dodgers since they didn't spend much in free agency (probably trying to save for Ohtani), but throwing out this garbage in the playoffs is embarrassing. Especially against an 84 win team.