Benetti to Tigers

BBaum21

4 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

JR let perhaps the greatest basketball PBP guy ever, Jim Durham, walk from the Bulls.

"Van Lier brings it up between the rings", "from the twilight zone", "Butterbean from the corner...good".   I wish I could think of more.  Or this call....."The inbounds pass comes in to Jordan. Here's Michael at the foul line, the shot on Ehlo...GOOD! THE BULLS WIN IT! THEY WIN IT!

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, A-Train to 35th said:

"Van Lier brings it up between the rings", "from the twilight zone", "Butterbean from the corner...good".   I wish I could think of more.  Or this call....."The inbounds pass comes in to Jordan. Here's Michael at the foul line, the shot on Ehlo...GOOD! THE BULLS WIN IT! THEY WIN IT!

I grew up listening to Funk on AM1000 and only when late in his career and he switched to TV did I realize how awful Funk was at actually describing what he was seeing.

One of my favorites of his was "And Scottie pokes in a three pointer". How the hell does one "poke" in a shot from 22 feet away?

8 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's nice. I too had an encounter with Farmio, and he was really a sweet guy.

After Buehrle's perfect, the Field of Dreams game is the best moment of the past 18 years with this team.

DJ's emotional "light it up" made it perfect.

• Love 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I grew up listening to Funk on AM1000 and only when late in his career and he switched to TV did I realize how awful Funk was at actually describing what he was seeing.

One of my favorites of his was "And Scottie pokes in a three pointer". How the hell does one "poke" in a shot from 22 feet away?

Man would just straight up say the wrong player on the regular.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, I left working at place I would have considered a dream workplace for me because of contract bullshit, so, yes, yes you do?

It was the contract negotiations and the day to day working under Boyer.

You may love what you are doing and the people you do it with, and I believe both applied to Jason’s time here. However, if you don’t respect the people you are working for, leaving becomes attractive. Under a really bad situation it becomes imperative.

I wish Jason the best and know he is in a better place in terms of working directly for the Tigers vs. his situation here.

3 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

OK, some good news. Len Kasper is staying on radio.

It's really a sad state of affairs when Brooks has the nerve to say that "career-changing opportunities", is the reason.  I didn't realize a broadcasting gig in Detroit of all places is career changing.  As said by many others already, that other teams let their broadcasters explore national opportunities.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

I turn on the Score and immediately hear Holmes saying he won’t go to any Sox games next year now and Parkins say “Benetti is a better broadcaster than Robert is a CF”.  The Robert one is possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Not a big fan of Parkins and I won't listen to the SCORE at that time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, FloydBannister1983 said:

I have a soft spot in my heart for Farmer.  He called me after I sent him a fan letter as a young child.  I can still remember the look on my dad’s face when he answered the phone.  I still can’t forgive Al Cowens to this day.

True story, it was 1975 and there were rumors that Harry Caray was going to move on after the season was over so after the last game I actually called the Ambassador East Hotel where Harry spent the season and asked the switchboard operator to connect me to Harry’s room and lo and behold he answered. We talked for 5 minutes and I told him how much Sox fans loved him we all hoped he stayed on. Bill Veeck bought the Sox that winter and he and Harry agreed on him staying with the Sox. Harry was as nice as could be and thanked me and appreciated the call. We all know he stayed on until 1982 when he had enough of JR and EE. BTW I also have a nice picture from 1979 at Comiskey that I took of Harry with my wife and son.

• Like 5
  • Fire 1

24 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That's nice. I too had an encounter with Farmio, and he was really a sweet guy.

I really miss Farmeo after the decades of great broadcasts. His long tenure with Rooney. Had a year with Stone Pony after he left the Cubs, and a couple with Chris Singleton before he moved on the ESPN.

Caray & Piersall we’re great as well. Too young for the Commander, but he is one of four people I have ever asked for an autograph (I was four or five).

Love Len and DJ, hope both are here a very long time.

RIP Ed Farmer and Dave Wills.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

True story, it was 1975 and there were rumors that Harry Caray was going to move on after the season was over so after the last game I actually called the Ambassador East Hotel where Harry spent the season and asked the switchboard operator to connect me to Harry’s room and lo and behold he answered. We talked for 5 minutes and I told him how much Sox fans loved him we all hoped he stayed on. Bill Veeck bought the Sox that winter and he and Harry agreed on him staying with the Sox. Harry was as nice as could be and thanked me and appreciated the call. We all know he stayed on until 1982 when he had enough of JR and EE. BTW I also have a nice picture from 1979 at Comiskey that I took of Harry with my wife and son.

Back in the day they had phone books, Harry's number was listed when he moved into Water Tower Place.

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I turn on the Score and immediately hear Holmes saying he won’t go to any Sox games next year now and Parkins say “Benetti is a better broadcaster than Robert is a CF”.  The Robert one is possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

anyone who spends money on the team next year should be shamed to all hell 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fathom said:

I never thought anyone could be more sanctimonious and elitist than Bernstein, then he paired up with Holmes.  Those two are must miss radio. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I never thought anyone could be more sanctimonious and elitist than Bernstein, then he paired up with Holmes.  Those two are must miss radio. 

Speaking of Bernstein, he said that Reinsdorf didn’t like Benetti’s announcing style, and that he didn’t find him funny.

8 minutes ago, fathom said:

Speaking of Bernstein, he said that Reinsdorf didn’t like Benetti’s announcing style, and that he didn’t find him funny.

A little more modern, intelligent, understanding of stats, lack of obsession with TWTW? Yeah that all checks out.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, JoeCredeYes said:

I'll never forget the time Holmes got pissed at someone who called into the show and called him Larry. Holmes went off on him. I guess he prefers to be called Lawrence.

Edited by Saufley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Saufley said:

I'll never forget the time Holmes got pissed at someone who called into the show and called him Larry. Holmes went off on him. I guess he likes to be called Lawrence.

Hahaha yeah he hates that, I'm pretty sure I'm blocked from texting into the Score for saying something to the effect of "and tell Larry nobody likes him."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1