Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

38 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Dream Trade:

Cease and Santos for Cowser/Kjerstad, Mayo and Ortiz

Santos may not even be able to pitch next year. Sox shut him down late with forearm soreness...that's usually not good ask Rodon, Dunning and Martin for example. 

20 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

Santos may not even be able to pitch next year. Sox shut him down late with forearm soreness...that's usually not good ask Rodon, Dunning and Martin for example. 

Sure there are cases where that's bad.. There are also minor cases where nothing comes of it.  Who knows, has there been any report?

1 hour ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

Sure there are cases where that's bad.. There are also minor cases where nothing comes of it.  Who knows, has there been any report?

There is unlikely to be any report this offseason, they will do the same thing they did with Martin last year - let him rest and hope that the ligament is in tact enough to recover without surgery. 

I'm not going to question here whether or not that is a good strategy, but I believe this makes it extremely unlikely that he could pass a physical to get a trade approved. There is almost certainly some elbow damage and inflammation right now, there is probably still pain, he probably is completely shut down from throwing right now, they just don't know if it is severe enough that surgery is the only option.

If it improves over the offseason while he is shut down, he could potentially pitch early in the season - sometimes players are able to go years after the elbow flares up or even with partial tears, but we won't know until the spring whether the pain and inflammation have subsided enough to allow him to pitch. Put all that together though, and a team trading for him basically should assume he will go down for TJS and miss 2024+.

31 minutes ago, Highland said:

Cease for prospects = tanking.

I hate to break it to you, but intentional tanking or not, this team is going to be brutally bad in 2024, with or without Cease. Given that JR won’t spend his way out of this mess, and the farm is a barren wasteland, what alternative is there? Doing nothing or adding a few washed up stopgaps in the name of “not tanking” is hardly a sound fix for this mess.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, DirtySox said:

Dunno if this was posted earlier, but from Rosenthal's Athletic piece.

https://theathletic.com/5095044/2023/11/28/mlb-trade-rumors-juan-soto-padres-blue-jays/

Would you look at that, knowledgeable baseball insider says Cease has great value in the market. Could've sworn the internet said otherwise...weird.

• Love 2

These NBB reports seem at odds with Pal's report that something is close.

If they are "waiting for a monster haul" then theoretically nothing should be "close" and if there is a monster haul on the table and something is in fact close, what are they waiting for?

I also don't know what people would think a monster haul is. I dont think 2 Top 100 prospects is a monster haul. I think 3 Top 100s is a monster haul or 2 Top 100s plus 2 10-20 org prospects in a deep system would also be a monster haul.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

25 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

These NBB reports seem at odds with Pal's report that something is close.

If they are "waiting for a monster haul" then theoretically nothing should be "close" and if there is a monster haul on the table and something is in fact close, what are they waiting for?

I also don't know what people would think a monster haul is. I dont think 2 Top 100 prospects is a monster haul. I think 3 Top 100s is a monster haul or 2 Top 100s plus 2 10-20 org prospects in a deep system would also be a monster haul.

Two different transactions Pal was referring to, I’m pretty sure.  The one in the works, and he also mentioned Cease would be traded.

20 minutes ago, fathom said:

Two different transactions Pal was referring to, I’m pretty sure.  The one in the works, and he also mentioned Cease would be traded.

I read his latest post as suggesting the close one was Cease although I could have misinterpreted it. The only other move is Jimenez and there's no reason for anyone to rush to trade for him.

Edited by SoCalChiSox

It’s gotta be the O’s. Outside of Dalton Rushing I really don’t want anything the Dodgers could be offering. 

O’s, Rangers, Rays, or Phillies for me in that order, I understand you’d like pitching for pitching but I just don’t trust any position player in the Sox system to ever amount to anything so go get them from another team instead.

• Like 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic