Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

That would be cool.

They will definitely get a haul for him, but realistically, none of those players will ever come close to having the career (or season) of Cease.

They will get at least three or four players, only one in top 100. More than likely the top player will be 3+ years away from the bigs.

4 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

They will definitely get a haul for him, but realistically, none of those players will ever come close to having the career (or season) of Cease.

They will get at least three or four players, only one in top 100. More than likely the top player will be 3+ years away from the bigs.

You don't need one to.

5 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

This isn’t true at all. I’d bet the majority of the return reaches the majors in 2024 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

That isn't a haul.

Sox will almost certainly get two top 100 prospects, plus another solid piece (back end top 10 of a solid system), and lottery ticket. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

They need both but as far as prospect ranking the Sox are sitting better with hitting than pitching. 

Sure, but it's just top-heavy on the hitting side. This feels way too much like banking on Montgomery and Ramos to reach their 99th percentile outcome or something. Not a whole lot behind them. This is not an endorsement to solely focus on hitting, though. They need everything. Focus on the players, not the positions.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

And pitching wins in the playoffs. 

Ehh I get why you say this, but it's one of those things that can be spun any way you want. Texas and Arizona were middle of the pack for most team pitching stats in the regular season, while Tampa and Minnesota were near the top. Pitching wins in the playoffs until it doesn't.

• Like 1

Just throwing out there that there is a strong possibility writers will say the white sox got a haul, and many on this board will say it was not a haul, and they will both be right and wrong in different ways, with none of it really mattering unless the players pan out.

• Thanks 4
  • TLR 1

5 minutes ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

hmmm sounds like a dodgers package, Orioles package or Reds package going strictly off age of their top prospects that we'd be acquiring.

Kjerstad, Ortiz, Povich and Beavers is my ask and I am not budging. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

Just throwing out there that there is a strong possibility writers will say the white sox got a haul, and many on this board will say it was not a haul, and they will both be right and wrong in different ways, with none of it really mattering unless the players pan out.

Schrodinger's trade

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, SoxFest23 said:

We don't know that.  I would hazard to bet that the Sox could end up with at least one player that has a very good career.  Most likely for a few years with the Sox before they are traded because they're going to be expensive.

9 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The thing I don’t like about this is there’s a decent chance Kjerstad turns into a LH Eloy and Ortiz turns into Jose Iglesias. I do like Povich and Beavers as secondary pieces though but I’m just not a fan of the two headliners.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

The thing I don’t like about this is there’s a decent chance Kjerstad turns into a LH Eloy and Ortiz turns into Jose Iglesias. I do like Povich and Beavers as secondary pieces though but I’m just not a fan of the two headliners.

There's a decent chance any prospect busts.  Moncada was the consensus best prospect in the game, and Eloy a can't miss top 3-5 guy.  Not all prospects turn into superstars. No other club is beating that package, realistically.  And we all know the O's need a guy like Cease more than the Dodgers or Braves.   

I also don't really see any similarities between Eloy and Kjerstad. 

Edited by ChiSox59

11 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

If Baltimore isn't willing to part with this level of package, then they just aren't serious about completing beyond the AL East. But until it is confirmed to have a similar serious offer on the table, I just can't let myself hope. Last deadline was disappointing enough.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Snopek said:

Sure, but it's just top-heavy on the hitting side. This feels way too much like banking on Montgomery and Ramos to reach their 99th percentile outcome or something. Not a whole lot behind them. This is not an endorsement to solely focus on hitting, though. They need everything. Focus on the players, not the positions.

Ehh I get why you say this, but it's one of those things that can be spun any way you want. Texas and Arizona were middle of the pack for most team pitching stats in the regular season, while Tampa and Minnesota were near the top. Pitching wins in the playoffs until it doesn't.

I agree with all the comments. They need the best package. 

My comments were more for the ones saying they need to focus on hitting. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

If Baltimore isn't willing to part with this level of package, then they just aren't serious about completing beyond the AL East. But until it is confirmed to have a similar serious offer on the table, I just can't let myself hope. Last deadline was disappointing enough.

Right!? They keep Holliday, Cowser, Mayo, Basallo, Norby and their entire MLB roster intact.  Its a big ask - to be fair - but you gotta give to get, and at some point the O's have to trade some of these dudes before the 40 man crunch.  That is why I am not moving Cease to any other team until the O's blink or another team vastly overpays. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Quin said:

If the Dodgers decide to go for Cease after Shohei, Yamamoto and Glasnow, I cannot wait to hear the rest of baseball attempt to cry foul.

If I’m the dodgers I absolutely trade for Cease…. I’ll be surprised if they do though now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Right!? They keep Holliday, Cowser, Mayo, Basallo, Norby and their entire MLB roster intact.  Its a big ask - to be fair - but you gotta give to get, and at some point the O's have to trade some of these dudes before the 40 man crunch.  That is why I am not moving Cease to any other team until the O's blink or another team vastly overpays. 

Look at the names they retain to supplement their big league team. Like, goddamn O's, do you actually want to win? You're getting a cost controlled Cy Young caliber starter in return to go with the best young stars in the game, already at the big league level who have only scratched the surface. Cease only costs you prospect capital, of which you have an abundance, unlike the $300M deals for starters, which we know the owner doesn't want to hand out. It's a perfect opportunity if they would or could get serious about their offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Quin said:

If the Dodgers decide to go for Cease after Shohei, Yamamoto and Glasnow, I cannot wait to hear the rest of baseball attempt to cry foul.

5 minutes ago, hi8is said:

If I’m the dodgers I absolutely trade for Cease…. I’ll be surprised if they do though now.

IMO the Dodgers should also acquire me. Just sayin.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Look at the names they retain to supplement their big league team. Like, goddamn O's, do you actually want to win? You're getting a cost controlled Cy Young caliber starter in return to go with the best young stars in the game, already at the big league level who have only scratched the surface. Cease only costs you prospect capital, of which you have an abundance, unlike the $300M deals for starters, which we know the owner doesn't want to hand out. It's a perfect opportunity if they would or could get serious about their offer.

Yup, read this and wanted to yell "2023 happened".

You're getting a guy who was an innings-eating mid rotation starter in 2023 and was a Cy Young caliber starter in 2022 hoping you can get him back to the earlier level. 

Not the same thing at all.

• Haha 1
  • TLR 1

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic