Cease To Padres per Passan

Chicago White Sox

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

When I see reports like the Yankees aren’t willing to part with Jones or Hampton in this trade, I don’t know how you can say that

Well that's the problem, no one knows what has really been discussed or offered. I just tend to believe that if the options are no one has offered anything fair for Cease OR Getz has a ridiculous asking price, I would lean towards Getz having a ridiculous asking price.

I don't recall seeing anyone in MLB circles as far as reporting goes report anything along the lines of Cease not returning a "haul" so I really don't think this has to do with subpar offers.

59 minutes ago, T R U said:

You're right, we don't. You can use common sense and history to tell you that a durable SP that is cheap and under control for 2 more seasons with Cy Young potential doesn't get the cold shoulder when put on the market.

The only reasonable explanation, or assumption, at this point is that the asking price by Getz is probably outside of the realm of reality at this time.

The "realm of reality" will come into focus over the next few weeks.  This talk of unrealistic asking price was present in both the Sale & Q trade talks.  I will be shocked if Cease is our OD starter.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, oldsox said:

IMO, many of us here, including myownself, have overvalued Cease's trading value.

I don't remember where I read it in the last few days, but the starting pitcher trade market is pretty much Bieber, Cease, and Luzardo or Cabrera from Miami. That's it. So after Snell and Monty, if somebody wants to plug in 33 starts from a Cy Young ceiling starter, Cease is the best situation. 

Getz doesn't have to move him. If Cease comes out the gate dominant, you get 20 starts from him, and you have your dream package in July. I was on the "trade him now" bandwagon, and now I just don't care. He's pitching for his next contract, now. When he goes to a contender at the deadline, then he gets to write his postseason story. 

18 minutes ago, WestEddy said:

I don't remember where I read it in the last few days, but the starting pitcher trade market is pretty much Bieber, Cease, and Luzardo or Cabrera from Miami. That's it. So after Snell and Monty, if somebody wants to plug in 33 starts from a Cy Young ceiling starter, Cease is the best situation. 

Getz doesn't have to move him. If Cease comes out the gate dominant, you get 20 starts from him, and you have your dream package in July. I was on the "trade him now" bandwagon, and now I just don't care. He's pitching for his next contract, now. When he goes to a contender at the deadline, then he gets to write his postseason story. 

My frustration comes from are we getting a right fielder in the Cease deal or do we need a FA answer to that problem.  The old saying is true..."a watched pot never boils."

6 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Add Bauer and Clevinger…we can win the division at least.

If you’re adding scumbags & assholes, you might as well as add Urias as well.

1. Cease
  2. Bauer
  3. Urias
  4. Clevinger
  5. Fedde

Not actually serious in wanting these guys, but could be a decent rotation.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The "realm of reality" will come into focus over the next few weeks.  This talk of unrealistic asking price was present in both the Sale & Q trade talks.  I will be shocked if Cease is our OD starter.

He should set the bar high, that's how you get maximum return. I do think he doesn't make it to OD on the roster, I just changed my stance from the Sox not getting good offers to its more likely Getz just isn't budging on his initial asking price.

I think you can only play that card for so long before it starts getting too dicey. With a vastly improved defense, as long as he doesn't get hurt, I think Cease will be fine if he has to pitch for the Sox the first half of the year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldsox said:

IMO, many of us here, including myownself, have overvalued Cease's trading value.

I treat this just like I did when there were a handful of people who thought Giolito was going to return a bag of balls at the deadline. You will be proven wrong once Cease is inevitably traded, and you'll be happy about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, T R U said:

I treat this just like I did when there were a handful of people who thought Giolito was going to return a bag of balls at the deadline. You will be proven wrong once Cease is inevitably traded, and you'll be happy about it.

Yep

Just sit tight. We are not accepting a light offer.

It will cripple Getz in future negotiations if we do.

I want Jones and Hampton. 

I dont care that NYY is not offering either. 

When they miss out on Snell and Montgomery, maybe they will get serious.

If not, wait till July. IDGAF.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Just sit tight. We are not accepting a light offer.

It will cripple Getz in future negotiations if we do.

I want Jones and Hampton. 

I dont care that NYY is not offering either. 

When they miss out on Snell and Montgomery, maybe they will get serious.

If not, wait till July. IDGAF.

Yes.  Cease is the only option for small market teams to add high caliber too.  

Getz is doing this pretty well it would seem. 

43 minutes ago, poppysox said:

My frustration comes from are we getting a right fielder in the Cease deal or do we need a FA answer to that problem.  The old saying is true..."a watched pot never boils."

You're forgetting the third option of continuing to throw our DHs out in right field. 

7 minutes ago, Snopek said:

You're forgetting the third option of continuing to throw our DHs out in right field. 

Trust me...I have considered lots of RF options.  I'm starting to like the idea of signing Tim Anderson to play there.

4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Trust me...I have considered lots of RF options.  I'm starting to like the idea of signing Tim Anderson to play there.

I say at this point just throw a scarecrow out there and see if that deters balls from going that way.

2 hours ago, T R U said:

You're right, we don't. You can use common sense and history to tell you that a durable SP that is cheap and under control for 2 more seasons with Cy Young potential doesn't get the cold shoulder when put on the market.

The only reasonable explanation, or assumption, at this point is that the asking price by Getz is probably outside of the realm of reality at this time.

History also suggests Cy Young winners sign by now as well. Is Snell’s camp asking an absurd amount? Or is it another example of buyers trying to reset the market precedence? 

Edited by SkokieSox
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I'm sure Tim would be ecstatic about being moved from a premium defensive position to RF

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Our run differential was 319 runs worse than the Twins last year and have added a bunch of garbage.  We aren’t close to being a RF away from winning the division.

Agreed. The only way the Sox win the division next year is if the other four teams all forfeit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

If you’re adding scumbags & assholes, you might as well as add Urias as well.

1. Cease
  2. Bauer
  3. Urias
  4. Clevinger
  5. Fedde

Not actually serious in wanting these guys, but could be a decent rotation.

Wander Franco too. OKC's Josh Giddey escaped consequences w/ the recent ruling.

52 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I'm sure Tim would be ecstatic about being moved from a premium defensive position to RF

Tatis is worth more in terms of fWAR as a Gold Glove RF than below average SS (did have one positive year at SS).

Of course, that also requires a plus plus arm.

• Heads22 changed the title to Cease To Padres per Passan
  • Heads22 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Heads22 pinned this topic
  • Heads22 unpinned this topic