Ohtani Watch: Dodgers sign - 700M over 10yrs

caulfield12

• caulfield12 changed the title to Ohtani Top 14 suitors/FA Sweepstakes
8 minutes ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Obviously not a cubs fan, lol, but if he went there I think it would be great for the city of Chicago

And honestly, getting a whole country of Marquee subscribers would pay for the contract itself. Along with other people around the world with interest.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 hour ago, ScootsMcGoots said:

Obviously not a cubs fan, lol, but if he went there I think it would be great for the city of Chicago

On one of the shows last summer, Ozzie said he talked to someone who would  know and said Ohtani would love to play for the Cubs but Chicago is too cold, so it isngoing to happen.

• Haha 1

Luis Robert pretty much the only answer there…or Colson doing an 85-90% impression of Corey Seager while remaining healthy over multiple seasons with Robert as well.

There’s your Sox versions of Semien and Seager.  

The problem here is the rest of the team, just like 2016…and losing Burger simply due to the burdensome Moncada and Benintendi contracts is even more annoying by the day.

3 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

On one of the shows last summer, Ozzie said he talked to someone who would  know and said Ohtani would love to play for the Cubs but Chicago is too cold, so it isngoing to happen.

But the iconic nature of Wrigley and Fenway also includes built-in high profile Japanese teammates…that’s not insignificant.

And the way the stadium plays through the summer months.

In a way, those two places are kind of like the current Disneylands of MLB…so it’s not shocking the most entertaining player in the world would naturally be drawn there.

Red Sox with a long long history of Japanese pitchers going back to Dice K and numerous relievers over time.

7 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

My personal hope is that he ends up in Seattle. I think he would be so fun up there with Julio. Wonder if they're still stung by the Cano contract but it seems like that's fading into the rear window.

Obviously the previous ties with Nintendo corporation, proximity to home, beautiful park (not great for hitters though) and trendy city…Ichiro’s legacy and the long history of previous Japanese pitchers.

They really do need one more high impact hitter in that lineup.

Also have a feeling he would have just a bit more anonymity there in Pacific NW.  Recent socio-cultural trends though in Portland and Seattle might not be to his personal liking.   Seems to be a bit more conservative/traditional in terms of his personality…

Edited by caulfield12

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38905458/shohei-ohtani-free-agent-chicago-cubs-cody-bellinger

Cubs not likely to go after Bellinger unless Ohtani falls through...

The timing could finally be right for a Cubs-Ohtani union.

"Ohtani would own Wrigley Field, literally," one NL scout joked about his potential salary. "He'd own Chicago, for sure."

The Cubs are also in on Japanese pitchers Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Shota Imanaga -- the latter has already spent time in Chicago -- according to sources familiar with the situation. They also have an eye on Milwaukee starter Corbin Burnes, in case the Brewers begin to subtract -- and Milwaukee is willing to trade with the team that just pilfered its manager. The Cubs would like to acquire a starter after Marcus Stroman opted out of his deal recently -- though young pitching is a sudden strength for the #2 ranked MiLB organization. Minor league righty Cade Horton could end up being the top pitching prospect in baseball next year, according to McDaniel.

But the big fish is still Ohtani. Like all his suitors so far, the Cubs are keeping their strategy close to the vest.

Edited by caulfield12

3 hours ago, reiks12 said:

If the Cubs sign Ohtani, why would any young or new baseball fan cheer for the Sox over the Cubs? 

Any chance the Sox could change perception and sign this guy? He'd be great with Robert and his signing plus bringing in Salvy and Merrifield might bring out the best in Eloy, Timmy, Vaughn. Think about it. Signing one player would fix our everyday lineup in one day. If he can pitch again we'd have he and Cease.

Sometimes you have to make a move dollars be damned that in one swoop could spark/cure a franchise and entire south side. I mean Jerry could tell Ohtani to wait, that he's selling the team and the new owners could bring him to town and fix this team.

It's frankly sad that the Sox probably aren't in the discussion at all. Getting him would mean so much. I'm probably dreaming, The odds of getting Ohtani would be the same as an astronaut walking on the surface of the sun.

• Haha 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Any chance the Sox could change perception and sign this guy? He'd be great with Robert and his signing plus bringing in Salvy and Merrifield might bring out the best in Eloy, Timmy, Vaughn. Think about it. Signing one player would fix our everyday lineup in one day. If he can pitch again we'd have he and Cease.

Sometimes you have to make a move dollars be damned that in one swoop could spark/cure a franchise and entire south side. I mean Jerry could tell Ohtani to wait, that he's selling the team and the new owners could bring him to town and fix this team.

It's frankly sad that the Sox probably aren't in the discussion at all. Getting him would mean so much. I'm probably dreaming, The odds of getting Ohtani would be the same as an astronaut walking on the surface of the sun.

TA is gone.

JR has never spent $80 million...let alone 5X that.

He would perceive situation as very unlikely playoff run not unlike situation in Anaheim.

Plus the Cubs were already in his previous top 7...only two of those teams outside the West Coast.

Not sure if NYY or Boston the other.

Zero chance.

Cubs just hired Counsell to help go after Ohtani as well as former Brewers and fellow NL Central players.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

The owner of the Chicago White Sox, in one of the largest media markets in the world, already said they won't be in the sweepstakes for Ohtani. So the odds are actually less than your sun analogy. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Chances for astronaut arguably higher with an AI fix/solution imagined at some point.

• Quin changed the title to Ohtani Watch: Private flights to Toronto are being monitored
  • Chisoxfn changed the title to Ohtani Watch: Dodgers sign - 700M over 10yrs