Bummer to ATL

Nokona

This trade is a product of the dumpster fire Getz inherited. I'm sure he would have liked to get a long term high impact player but I think that will come in the Cease trade.  This trade he addressed defense, base running, makeup and pitching depth.  You know the things Hahn thought were a punch line.  I think he did very well to make the organization better and hopefully the higher impact players will come soon though Nicky was a 6 war player as an everyday SS two years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Soroka and Shuster will be in the rotation next year.

Lopez will be the starting 2B.  Shewmake could be the starting SS to start the season too.  

Gowens.  If he does well, should be a fast riser through the system.

I'm fine with the trade.  No bullpen piece during a rebuild should be making over 5 million anyway.  Let the kids give it a go.  

Now go trade Cease and Eloy

3 minutes ago, GGajewski18 said:

Soroka and Shuster will be in the rotation next year.

Lopez will be the starting 2B.  Shewmake could be the starting SS to start the season too.  

Gowens.  If he does well, should be a fast riser through the system.

I'm fine with the trade.  No bullpen piece during a rebuild should be making over 5 million anyway.  Let the kids give it a go.  

Now go trade Cease and Eloy

I think Shuster has options. They definitely need depth which is something they have been lacking and most of the Charlotte roster elected free agency last week. They definitely need guys they will be able to shuttle back and forth. Trade Cease and sign 2 free agents, assuming someone you get for Cease doesn't immediately take his spot in the rotation.

1. FA signing

2. FA signing

3. Kopech

4. Soroka

5. Touki (possibly punt him to the pen if someone like Shuster or Nastrini emerges and grabs the spot)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, fathom said:

Getz said one or both of the pitchers acquired will be in the rotation 

I feel Sox will also go after Manaea as he opted out. They have wanted him for awhile. I think Nastrini will also be in the rotation maybe even to start the year. And one of Flaherty/Giolito due to Katz...although JR may veto the latter even if its relatively cheap and they'll let Eder sink or swim. 

Basically they can create an entire rotation plus a swing man (Bush?) with very little spending. 

They got some potentially useful pieces/depth and a bridge SS for Montgomery so it's hard to be upset with the return here. 

Edited by SoCalChiSox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

This trade is a product of the dumpster fire Getz inherited. I'm sure he would have liked to get a long term high impact player but I think that will come in the Cease trade.  This trade he addressed defense, base running, makeup and pitching depth.  You know the things Hahn thought were a punch line.

Oh absolutely. Soroka is a gem of a human. Nicky by all accounts is a great teammate and even better person. Getz really is valuing character in that trade too.

13 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Wonder what the price tag on Bummer was when there was “a lot of interest” at the deadline last year.

Well, Graveman got them a backup Catcher, and Middleton brought back an interesting A-ball arm, and both of those pitchers were way better than Bummer. 

• bmags featured, unfeatured and unpinned this topic