Eloy Trade Rumor Thread

SoxAce

34 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Disclaimer:  I personally would trade everyone and completely rebuild... and if we aren't rebuilding I personally roll the dice with Eloy again.  Too much offensive upside for a team trying to essentially flip from losing 100 to winning 100.  End Disclaimer.

Who says no:

Eloy for Kepler and Polanco.

I know MLB Trade Values seems to like Kepler and Polanco even though I don't think either player was a slam dunk to get their option picked up.  I feel like if a team is crazy enough to value Eloy as a league average LF that he has positive value.  Scary to give the Twins Eloy's upside, but I guess if you are worried about that... you don't want to trade him at all.  

Well you’re trading a 0 fWAR DH for two position players who together were 4 fWAR last year. While you’re saving them $13 million this year, if they were that desperate for money they didn’t have to keep those guys if they had options. So I think the Twins say no.

Maybe they might think about it for one of them?

47 minutes ago, GREEDY said:

Disclaimer:  I personally would trade everyone and completely rebuild... and if we aren't rebuilding I personally roll the dice with Eloy again.  Too much offensive upside for a team trying to essentially flip from losing 100 to winning 100.  End Disclaimer.

Who says no:

Eloy for Kepler and Polanco.

I know MLB Trade Values seems to like Kepler and Polanco even though I don't think either player was a slam dunk to get their option picked up.  I feel like if a team is crazy enough to value Eloy as a league average LF that he has positive value.  Scary to give the Twins Eloy's upside, but I guess if you are worried about that... you don't want to trade him at all.  

I bet those guys get moved for arms.

Getz comment about possibly trading Eloy that "it has to make sense for both sides" indicates that he is probably shopping him around to see what he could get in return.  I just don't see getting that excited about the middle of our line-up without Eloy's bat in there. He is a monster at 6' 4" with great bat speed, plate coverage, and bat to ball skill. The intangible that I see with Eloy is an Ernie Banks level love of the game and for Sox  fans in the stands. I often call out "Eloy!" from the stands like I did with big bad Bobby Jenks, and a few others who seemed to thrive off of fan encouragement.  Most mlb players are aloof and look like they are only playing for the money, not for the love of the game or to please fans.  All that probably means nothing to Getz.

6 hours ago, tray said:

Getz comment about possibly trading Eloy that "it has to make sense for both sides" indicates that he is probably shopping him around to see what he could get in return.  I just don't see getting that excited about the middle of our line-up without Eloy's bat in there. He is a monster at 6' 4" with great bat speed, plate coverage, and bat to ball skill. The intangible that I see with Eloy is an Ernie Banks level love of the game and for Sox  fans in the stands. I often call out "Eloy!" from the stands like I did with big bad Bobby Jenks, and a few others who seemed to thrive off of fan encouragement.  Most mlb players are aloof and look like they are only playing for the money, not for the love of the game or to please fans.  All that probably means nothing to Getz.

The White  Sox scored  3 or less runs in more than half of their games in 2023. Why trade Eloy when he's one of their best hitters? It wouldn't surprise me if he hit  40 home runs next year.

52 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

The White  Sox scored  3 or less runs in more than half of their games in 2023. Why trade Eloy when he's one of their best hitters? It wouldn't surprise me if he hit  40 home runs next year.

He hasn’t come close to 40 but the potential is there, he needs a higher launch angle plus like the rest of the team he has to be more selective and work counts. Let’s hope the new hitting coach knows what guys like Eloy, Robert and Vaughn need to work on, that’s if we keep them and don’t blow up the whole team. 

Edited by The Mighty Mite

9 hours ago, tray said:

I just don't see getting that excited about the middle of our line-up without Eloy's bat in there. 

I think this is why they are looking to trade him.  Seeing as he’s never in the lineup makes it hard to get excited about Eloy.  

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FT35 said:

I think this is why they are looking to trade him.  Seeing as he’s never in the lineup makes it hard to get excited about Eloy.  

Somehow we think there are naive GMs, scouts, not on the White Sox would see some potential.  All organizatins deal with injuries and I doubt any of them have a faith healer for Eloy. 

On 11/17/2023 at 2:12 PM, Balta1701 said:

Eloy put up a .758 OPS while on the field last year. His HR rate was low, his GB rate was high, his walk rate was poor. If he had produced like he did in 2022 you could say this and be accurate, he wasn't productive last year.

I don't know the answer to this question and hopefully someone else does.  Was Eloy the most productive DH since the Sox had Adam Dunn?  Maybe even back to the Thome days?

The DH position has been a dumpster fire with this club.

25 minutes ago, wrathofhahn said:

I am not a fan of moving him not because we shouldn't move him but because his value is at it's lowest point.

Much like Moncada the goal needs to be for him to build up some sort value first.

How can he build up value when he's always on the IL? Hell Eloy is the type of guy who gets injured walking up the stairs from the dugout to try and take the field before the game starts.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

How can he build up value when he's always on the IL? Hell Eloy is the type of guy who gets injured walking up the stairs from the dugout to try and take the field before the game starts.

It all depends on the offers, but if no one is willing to give you anything notable for Eloy, you may as well just hold and hope he has a monster first half and then you can trade him.  

Its a fair question to ask if he'll ever stay healthy, but I'd rather bet on that than a couple 40 FV prospects. 

I think every year we talk about how Eloy could hit 35+ home runs if he could stay healthy.  And every year he finds a way to hurt himself.  If his injury history concerns us Soxtalk posters, it certainly concerns other teams' front offices.  Maybe he gets traded, stays healthy, and has a huge offensive season.  Maybe he doesn't get traded, stays healthy, and has a great season.  Regardless, I don't think we could expect a big return for him if he's traded.

11 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

If his injury history concerns us Soxtalk posters, it certainly concerns other teams' front offices.

But I think other teams have plans, where the White Sox really never looked like they did. Other teams' front offices have their own conceit about their strength and conditioning, and would probably plan to get 300-400 PA's from Eloy, filling in with a deeper bench and minor league system. 

The Sox' rebuild seemed to rely on one guy for each position, and hope some 15th rounder steps up to fill in the bench and bullpen. A deep system seems to have 2-3 ranking catchers, shortstops or centerfielders. 

ESPN’s Jesse Rogers also considers Eloy Jiménez likely to be traded. Entering his age-27 season, the former top prospect has missed considerable time due to injuries in his career but is a lifetime .275/.324/.487 hitter (118 OPS+) with 89 homers over 436 games. He is signed for $13.83 million in 2024 and has club options for 2025 ($16.5 million) and 2026 ($18.5 million).

"[New White Sox general manager] Chris Getz has not been shy about the fact that he is open for business," Rogers said Tuesday in an MLB Network appearance. "I'd almost bet money that Dylan Cease and Eloy Jiménez are on the move."