Sonny Gray to STL

Chicago White Sox

Can’t wait to see the terms of this one.  Gray is coming off a great year, but a HR/flyball rate that doesn’t seem to be sustainable and will be 34 years old this upcoming season.  MLBTR projected he’d get 4/$90M here, but my guess is he clears $100M one way or the other and that would further reinforce that SP will be super costly this off-season.

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

I was thinking he'd get a small bump on that Toronto Ryu deal from back in the day, but no looks like nobody went 4 years on it.

$75M for 3 yrs isn't so bad. He cashed in on a good year and probably is getting more in the next 3 years than he's made his entire career. Get it out of the way now and prepare for the season with no worries.

3 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

$75M for 3 yrs isn't so bad. He cashed in on a good year and probably is getting more in the next 3 years than he's made his entire career. Get it out of the way now and prepare for the season with no worries.

Absolutely, always interesting to see a player his age whether they'll try to get some more playing certainty into the decade.

But instead he got better pay per year. I think both sides probably prefer that.

51 minutes ago, nrockway said:

looks like a fair deal. too bad, was still hoping we could get Winn and Hence out of them

I don't see why St. Louis would give up pursuing Cease if they are truly interested.  He's still relatively cheap and under control for two years.  It would only cost them prospects and it's not like they couldn't still use another high-end starter.  

26 minutes ago, PorkChopExpress said:

I don't see why St. Louis would give up pursuing Cease if they are truly interested.  He's still relatively cheap and under control for two years.  It would only cost them prospects and it's not like they couldn't still use another high-end starter.  

Agreed. They could absolutely still be in the running for Cease especially if they do trade Matz.

29 minutes ago, PorkChopExpress said:

Could see it too I just wish they didn’t decide to fill their rotation with 2 #5s last week. Matz may end up being moved to the pen or traded though so there still might be another spot open.

21 minutes ago, PorkChopExpress said:

You're right, the division is up for grabs, the Brewers will certainly be worse and I had a dream (prophecy) that Bellinger will go home and sign with the DBacks on a giant deal (or I read it 'rumored' somewhere but can't where. I'm going with vision).

Their position players are running out of time to do anything. Might as well go all in the next two years. Still, I don't think they'd want to part with Winn who is probably starting at short next season. He's the main guy I'd want back, fits perfectly at 2B on the Sox or realistically at SS with Montgomery moving to 3B. depends on Ramos I guess.