White Sox sign Martin Maldonado 1 year/4 million, vesting option for 2025

26 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

When were Maldonado and DeJong ever stud players?

And if you think guys like Moncada and Eloy, who already got their millions paid out, are going to be influenced by these veterans/coaches, I think you are going to be disappointed.  Even if they did somehow influence Moncada and Eloy, neither guy can stay healthy enough to make an impact in a season.  Both will likely be gone before it even matters, and they probably won’t even remember their coach’s name like Luis Robert couldn’t remember Montoya.

DeJong was solid in 2019, but always more of a "complementary" glue type of player than a stud/star.

31 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

When were Maldonado and DeJong ever stud players?

And if you think guys like Moncada and Eloy, who already got their millions paid out, are going to be influenced by these veterans/coaches, I think you are going to be disappointed.  Even if they did somehow influence Moncada and Eloy, neither guy can stay healthy enough to make an impact in a season.  Both will likely be gone before it even matters, and they probably won’t even remember their coach’s name like Luis Robert couldn’t remember Montoya.

I guarantee they were studs in high school 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

You really can't quote Zavala's offensive statistics in a thread on Martin Maldonado. You just can't.

Career OPS: .631
2023 OPS: .606

They're both bad offensively, but we paid a $3 million premium for this version!

Was saying Zavala at 30 has little to no upside in terms of improvement. Will like to see what they have to say about the signing and which catcher (or other player) they drop. Wonder if they discussed a coaching role, which I would be open for Maldonado to learn the ropes.

Just not going to fret about stopgaps until Quero arrives. If he is ready and blocked beyond brief start of season service time manipulation, I will be critical. Lee will be destroyed if he was one of 2-3 options, and cannot become even a marginal bench player. Granted small sample size, but his OPS (.323 96 PA) is lower than Cease (.875 8 PA), Giolito (.333 20 PA) and many other pitchers when that was a thing.

Will end with fun with numbers:

Home Runs 2022-2023

1. 34 Eloy Jimenez (748 AB)
  2. 30 Martin Maldonado (786 AB)
  3. 23 Yoan Moncada (790 AB)
  4. 13 Yasmani Grandal (690 AB)
  5. 10 Andrew Benintendi (1,023 AB)
  6. 7 Tim Anderson (825 AB)

On 12/27/2023 at 8:52 AM, Quin said:

I feel like Maldonado or Stassi will be cut by the end of May after hitting .150 and one of Hackenberg, Lee or Perez will be called up.

I really don't get it.

Stassi was worth the flyer because we got him for free basically and he has been good in the past. I was fine with that move.

I mean if he has .680-.700 OPS which is doable he could be worth 1-2 WAR. Of course the risk is he doesn't hit at all but he is basically just a flyer.

Maldonado won't hit. Has never hit. And at 37 his defense has taken a massive step back furthermore Lee and Stassi are basically the same profile only younger and better. I'd be interested to see what Sanchez signs for because at least with him there is upside with his bat and because of that he offers something a bit different than Stassi and Lee. I suspect he would have jumped at 1/4 with a PO. Sigh but what can you do.

For me this offseason what has been most depressing about this team isn't even the opportunities we missed out on it's how we havent really changed the direction of our thinking and approach. This could have easily just have been Hahn FA and noone would have noticed the difference.

20 hours ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

Exactly.  Been saying this.

I don't know what we are expecting why are we expecting a fresh perspective when they didnt go outside the organization? Probably going to tune out the season what is the point? The guys they brought in have little upside.

Just wasting their fans time. I'll circle back once the draft kicks around.

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

This still not official yet?  Want to see how the vesting option works.  Also curious who gets DFA’d as a result.

Gotta be Remy next, you would think. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 7:47 PM, wrathofhahn said:

For me this offseason what has been most depressing about this team isn't even the opportunities we missed out on it's how we havent really changed the direction of our thinking and approach. This could have easily just have been Hahn FA and noone would have noticed the difference.

It's like they are trying to bore the fans even more. Nothing they've done so far convinces me they won't lose 105-110 games this season,

I like this move. I wanted the Sox to go with a defense first platoon at Catcher this year and going forward regardless of the direction of the team, it’s an easy way to jump start team defense and of course help out your pitchers. The Cubs did this recently with Barnhart and Gomes.

With the young arms and reclamation projects the Sox are going to trot out, being strong defensively at Catcher is that much more important. I like how Getz and co have rebuilt the defense of the team. 

• Like 2
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Boopa1219 said:

I like this move. I wanted the Sox to go with a defense first platoon at Catcher this year and going forward regardless of the direction of the team, it’s an easy way to jump start team defense and of course help out your pitchers. The Cubs did this recently with Barnhart and Gomes.

With the young arms and reclamation projects the Sox are going to trot out, being strong defensively at Catcher is that much more important. I like how Getz and co have rebuilt the defense of the team. 

Unfortunately, we don't have these same players 4-5 years ago...when most of them were much more viable big leaguers.

3 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

Problem with this idea is he’s 37 and apparently the worst defensive catcher in baseball last year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Problem with this idea is he’s 37 and apparently the worst defensive catcher in baseball last year.

For what they are paying him, they probably could have found a better defense only catcher.  Their purported rationale falls apart pretty quickly once you take a closer look. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Tnetennba said:

For what they are paying him, they probably could have found a better defense only catcher.  Their purported rationale falls apart pretty quickly once you take a closer look. 

Might as well have signed Tucker Barnhart to an MiLB deal.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

But have you considered that Pedro needs help in the locker room?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

True but the Astros pitchers loved working with him. I don’t have a problem with the Sox getting a veteran from one of the best teams in the league for the past decade. Sometimes it’s nice to have an adult in the room, especially if the adult is a winner.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Boopa1219 said:

True but the Astros pitchers loved working with him. I don’t have a problem with the Sox getting a veteran from one of the best teams in the league for the past decade. Sometimes it’s nice to have an adult in the room, especially if the adult is a winner.

That's true assuming of course he can still play at a high level.

The defensive stats show though that isn't the case.

11 days since this was reported, and still not official.  I am sure he was just out of country and waiting to do the physical after the holidays, but a little surprised that wasn't taken care of this week.