Max Stassi Acquired

DirtySox

25 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

They can’t make them, so they’ll acquire them. It’s very on-brand for them to get obsessed with it about ten years after there was a competitive advantage to be gained. 

https://www.amazon.com/Big-Data-Baseball-Miracles-20-Year/dp/1250063507

2013 Pirates to be exact.

Or one decade. 

About right up there with Titanic II.

• Like 1

Sounds like he will come to the Sox for cheap, but even if it was $7M does it really matter? Overpaying the backup C by $4M next year will be the least of our worries. Not sure there’s even a logical way Getz can get the payroll to $150M without doing more damage than good. Payroll isn’t even on my mind for 2024, it’s irrelevant. 

Why do you all hate this move? He's a good player who was acquired for nothing. Atlanta doesn't have room for him with a superstar catcher and another very good backup. Are you paying his salary? It was him or Maldonado, good defenders, biding time for Edgar Quero. Catcher and shortstop is exactly where you should be playing defense first/bat second players. All of this will help the pitching staff. He is far better than Carlos Perez.

My only concern, which I noted in the other thread about Maldonado, is that Hackenberg is probably major league ready and looks really good.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

At some point we have to accept that Getz means what he says....he's all in on defense. 

That's the main reason why I didn't think Busch would be in a Dodger trade. But at some point he'll have to acquire guys who can play some offense and defense. I love LH savages as much if not more than you do but all hit no field shouldn't be a priority unless you can get rid of Eloy and/or Vaughn first.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nrockway said:

Why do you all hate this move? He's a good player who was acquired for nothing. Atlanta doesn't have room for him with a superstar catcher and another very good backup. Are you paying his salary? It was him or Maldonado, good defenders, biding time for Edgar Quero. Catcher and shortstop is exactly where you should be playing defense first/bat second players. All of this will help the pitching staff. He is far better than Carlos Perez.

My only concern, which I noted in the other thread about Maldonado, is that Hackenberg is probably major league ready and looks really good.

The more competition between players of questionable talent the better. May the best men win.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, nrockway said:

I wouldn’t say Stassi is a “good player” but yeah there isn’t much of a reason to complain about this.

• Like 1

Why are people upset about the Sox adding a bonafide defensive catcher for a couple million $$?? Are you upset over the PTBNL that you don't know the identity of yet? They could literally dump Stassi in ST if he's really that bad, however, given how he's an elite defensive catcher it's clear they are continuing to give our young pitchers every benefit they can next season. This is a low risk, low ceiling move. Nothing to be too excited about but certainly nothing to be upset about ether.

• Like 7

Well at least the pitchers will be happy with the defensive team Getz is assembling. Seems he was serious about catching the ball which is good. And hopefully Stassi will help Quero and the rest of the catchers out in spring training. 

But man... those pitchers better be on their A game every time out because they will be in alot of games where this offense will probably only give them a run tops.

2 hours ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

Who was it yesterday that was talking about how smart the Braves are and how they're going to stick someone else with Stassi's contract? Kudos.

Just didn't expect it to be us.

I expect the Braves are paying for most of his salary, if not all

21 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Well at least the pitchers will be happy with the defensive team Getz is assembling. Seems he was serious about catching the ball which is good. And hopefully Stassi will help Quero and the rest of the catchers out in spring training. 

But man... those pitchers better be on their A game every time out because they will be in alot of games where this offense will probably only give them a run tops.

The average batting average in MLB is .245.  Lots of teams are not loaded with savages.  I know that it sounds trite...but a run saved counts just as much as a run scored.

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, poppysox said:

The average batting average in MLB is .245.  Lots of teams are not loaded with savages.  I know that it sounds trite...but a run saved counts just as much as a run scored.

Endy Chavez, Dyson and Hamilton being brought in to battle for RF.

Might as well move fences back to old stadium dimensions.

Approach would have worked in the Dead Ball Era.

Edited by caulfield12

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

That's the main reason why I didn't think Busch would be in a Dodger trade. But at some point he'll have to acquire guys who can play some offense and defense. I love LH savages as much if not more than you do but all hit no field shouldn't be a priority unless you can get rid of Eloy and/or Vaughn first.

Yeah given Getz philosophy so far I'm bracing for exactly zero LH savages in the Cease trade or any trade for that matter.