Sox sign former Royal LHRP Tim Hill to 1-year, $1.8M contract

2Deep

5 minutes ago, SoCalChiSox said:

Actually I'm looking at his fangraphs page and he could very well be semi flippable at the deadline.

He's a GB pitcher which with the help of a good IF defense may make him look somewhat decent. Also his HR/FB rate, BABIP and LOB were unsustainably bad last year. 

A flip for a lottery ticket is better than nothing, but I still feel like they could accomplish the same thing on a minor league deal.

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Sometimes "statistical data" does not end in positive results between the lines.  Which is the case for Bummer. And it's been a few seasons of "bad luck" results.  He is what he is, great stuff but bad baseball results.

From 2020-2023 Bummer was essentially a 3.00 FIP with 12 K/9

Over a 4 year stretch, i'd say that's pretty damn good for a reliever.

His 2023 ERA was damn near double his FIP. We all know why that happened.

As I already said, it was time to move on and I understand why everyone was tired of Bummer.

• Like 1

For the record, this signing has no material impact on anything and any whining  is more so due to a questionable move potentially signaling a front office with a possibly questionable vision of what a winning White Sox club might look like.  I hope this is all a big nothing, but given Getz is a massive wild card and wasn’t vetted against other candidates, so every little move is going to be looked at under a microscope in hopes of understanding his greater plan.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

He's a guy and they need guys.  Plus he's a weird funky lefty and those guys are always fun.  Stop crying.  

Would rather watch Takatsu.

Other than Fedde and no Sal Perez...one of the most predictable and disappointing offseason in ages.

One of the many reasons Padres were 9-23 in one run games and one maybe one extra inning game win the entire season.

That was with Hader at the back end. Must have zero confidence in  Crochet or Banks.  So this is the solution lol.

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

For the record, this signing has no material impact on anything and any whining  is more so due to a questionable move potentially signaling a front office with a possibly questionable vision of what a winning White Sox club might look like.  I hope this is all a big nothing, but given Getz is a massive wild card and wasn’t vetted against other candidates, so every little move is going to be looked at under a microscope in hopes of understanding his greater plan.

Milk and cookies team on the deck.

Need Mike Sweeney in some type of advisory/leadership role but will be outbid by KC.

2 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Sometimes "statistical data" does not end in positive results between the lines.  Which is the case for Bummer. And it's been a few seasons of "bad luck" results.  He is what he is, great stuff but bad baseball results.

He was your typical Sox player that failed the rebuild ,had stuff but couldn't put it all together. Extremely inconsistent but underlying stats say he has value . That's why the Braves wanted him.

Do good but then fall off the map types or guys who were often injured or didnt live up to the hype. Kopech,Giolito, Anderson, Moncada,Eloy ,Madrigal, Vaughn, Rodon, Collins, Fulmer. Robert, Jr. until last year which by then was too late to matter.

Cease you could've expected a worse year after his 2022 but not quite as bad. Still showed no better command, velo dipped slightly. A lot of stats tell you he has a tremendous amount of value along with his durability.

Guys have talent but injuries but a lot of lack of development also.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He was your typical Sox player that failed the rebuild ,had stuff but couldn't put it all together. Extremely inconsistent but underlying stats say he has value . That's why the Braves wanted him.

Do good but then fall off the map types or guys who were often injured or didnt live up to the hype. Kopech,Giolito, Anderson, Moncada,Eloy ,Madrigal, Vaughn, Rodon, Collins, Fulmer. Robert, Jr. until last year which by then was too late to matter.

Cease you could've expected a worse year after his 2022 but not quite as bad. Still showed no better command, velo dipped slightly. A lot of stats tell you he has a tremendous amount of value along with his durability.

Guys have talent but injuries but a lot of lack of development also.

Rodon ironically has one great season after being given up for dead...but then nothing in return to show for it.  Hendriks and Anderson as well.

It's actually pretty darned remarkable.  Basically, Grandal Kimbrel Keuchel Lynn Benintendi Pollock all fell apart completely.  The anti-Orioles.

They even made the right call on Abreu. Didn't really matter, because they're just wasting money again churning through the roster paying lip service to competing when most Royals fans are just scoffing at our so-called plan to emulate a niche model a decade too late. 

Watch the watch Sox manage to finish last in stolen bases, though.

Edited by caulfield12

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I wonder what a wasted year roster would look like.

Your opening day 2024 White Sox

Catcher - Maldonado/Stassi

1B - Vaughn

2B - Lopez

SS - DeJong

3B - Moncada

LF - Benintendi

CF - Robert

RF - Sheets

SP - Fedde

• TLR 1

Neither the Hill or the Maldonado signing makes a whit of difference, really. But it's really depressing to watch a crappy team stock up on crappy 30-something players so you can't even root for player improvement. Best case scenario is watching a bunch of journeyman do better than expected so you can flip them in the deadline. I'm getting the sense that 2024 isn't even Year Zero of a rebuild. 2025 will be that after they can get out from under Moncada and Eloy's contracts. Realistically, this team may not be competitive until 2027 or 2028.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Neither the Hill or the Maldonado signing makes a whit of difference, really. But it's really depressing to watch a crappy team stock up on crappy 30-something players so you can't even root for player improvement. Best case scenario is watching a bunch of journeyman do better than expected so you can flip them in the deadline. I'm getting the sense that 2024 isn't even Year Zero of a rebuild. 2025 will be that after they can get out from under Moncada and Eloy's contracts. Realistically, this team may not be competitive until 2027 or 2028.

2027 is really optimistic.