Sox looking at building in South Loop

southsider2k5

2 hours ago, WBWSF said:

When the A's announced they were  moving to Vegas they said they would pay millions towards the new stadium.  If that has changed I don't know.

I actually heard/read that the Salt Lake ballpark could become their temporary housing. It is generally safe to assume delays with projects of this nature. If you do not have the city fathers on your side, forget it.

On 1/25/2024 at 9:04 AM, southsider2k5 said:

These things are all known.  Again, if negotiations have gotten this far, do we really think that the City and/or JR (who literally made his million in real estate) don't know any of this?  If this stuff was a deal breaker, they wouldn't be talking about it, still.

I think you greatly underestimate the current incompetence at both City Hall and the Sox Executive Office. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LittleHurtCG said:

I think you greatly underestimate the current incompetence at both City Hall and the Sox Executive Office. 

Look if you think Jerry, who made his millions doing exactly this business, didn't ask this stuff in his first three questions, I think you are overestimating it.  He might not care about people like you and I, but damned well cares about his fortune.

Jerry made his millions in real estate. I don't think people realize how sharp he is when it comes to that type of stuff. Keep in mind, he's responsible for building 2 stadiums in his tenure here while the other owners simply struggled with getting their stadiums renovated. 

I hate Jerry the baseball owner, but JR the business man is more than solid.

• Hawk 1

You have a major collaboration looming with roles and categories yet to be determined. Add Chicago graft and profit margins to the mix and you have a very challenging situation. The wild cards are JR and toxic pollution.  

There’s probably several versions of a “done deal”. The city could absolutely know how much they’d put in from previous development offers, that could be an agreement pending funds being raised. Is it easy to quickly raise a billion dollars? I honestly don’t know.

9 minutes ago, Lightly Folded said:

Can’t find anything/anywhere to confirm that Kaplan said such. When and where did he supposedly say this? Help us out please.

All I could find is him reporting on the same "tapped in source"

Apparently websites like Field of Schemes that question the bonafides of any politician cannot be quoted from.

So basically the current mayor should be treated like Modi, Xi Jinping, Putin, Orban, the King of Thailand, etc., and not publicly mentioned in any but the most benign or oblique way???

If that’s the case, it should be officially declared that he is off limits to mention/discuss, even if originating from an opinion/editorial piece that simply generally skeptical about all Chicago politics.  Not censored.

Also interesting that Gov. Jim Thompson has been constantly “criticized” by numerous posters for selling out the taxpayers and coming up with a sweetheart deal for JR…so God help the White Sox and SoxTalk if the Obamas ever become formally connected to an investment group involved in purchasing the team.

• Fire 1